4.0 out of 5 stars It's not perfect, but I was moved
Published on 26 Aug 2011 by El Zilcho

2.0 out of 5 stars If you've read the book, prepare for disappointment
The book One Day is very emotionally moving and is generally a real page turner. I remember it being the first book I got on my Kindle and I took every free moment I could to read it. Today, it remains one of my favourite books.

Published on 20 Mar 2012 by A Clockwork Android

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not perfect, but I was moved, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I am a male in my late 20s. I've never heard of the book One Day is based on, and just went along with my girlfriend to see it (based on seeing the trailer it seemed light and 'inoffensive' at best). I was surprised at how much of an effect it had on me. It is a bitter-sweet story of two people who strike up a relationship while at Uni, but never quite get together. The film then follows them through the next 20 or so years, dropping into their lives on the same day each year.

Despite the first reviewer's opinion that he found the central relationship hard to buy, I found it very believable - it is easily possible for two people to be great friends, find support in each other, and 'light up' in each other's company, but if they were to have a relationship, it just wouldn't work. So, for me, it was completely realistic, I never thought anything like "oh, what does she see in him?!" or "come on, that's so contrived".

I think both Hathaway and Sturgess did a great job of portraying their characters. Emma slowly transformed from a slightly 'spiky' girl with a bit of a self esteem problem to a more confident young woman with life experience. Dexter is a carefree, quite irresponsible young man who gets sucked into the world of TV fame that distances him from the people who love him, and ultimately grinds him down into a convenient relationship. And yet, even as they change (and if anything, diverge from each other) over the years, something remains to draw them back together. Don't get me wrong, this is far less soppy than it sounds - and in fact I thought the film got the balance between 'emotional', funny and serious scenes mostly just right, although a couple felt perhaps too short.

In the end, how much it appeals will probably depend on how much you identify with what happens. For me, several themes struck quite a chord, and I walked out of the cinema feeling that it was definitely a "good film". And that's as much psychoanalysis as is necessary!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you've read the book, prepare for disappointment, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)

The film, however, is terrible. I had high hopes for it after reading that the author of the book did the script, and indeed I watched a film adaption of another of his books and found it quite good, but with One Day I felt the emotional depth was gone and the whole thing was dull. They even made the end obvious right from the first scene too, no idea why they felt that was necessary.

I urge you to read the book. The book is amazing. But don't bother wasting your life with this disappointment of a movie adaptation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very similar to the book, but not entirely enjoyable., 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Whilst the movie gets 5 stars for being so close and 'faithful' to the book - it's this faithful adaptation which ultimately makes this film watchable, but not entirely enjoyable as the book was to read. The film tries to squeeze everything from the book into it, and so whilst the viewer is practically given a summary for each chapter via movie, it is just that - a summary. There isn't enough time allowed for the emotional turmoil to truly be felt, and for the romance to blossom.

The film basically just puts the viewer into a scene and we have to play catch up on how in the last scene they weren't really friends, and now they're really close. The second half of the film is much better than the first in that it goes into more emotional depth, capturing the sadness of the circumstances, but the first half basically feels like it was made to placate the loyal fans by putting as much of the book into the movie as possible. If the movie had been extended, maybe made it double the length that it was I think that it would have recieved higher reviews from critics as it would have given the audience a chance to fall in love not only with the characters, but with the decisions that they make and the lives that they lead. I'd watch it again, but I doubt I'd buy the dvd unless it was on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE FINE DAY DVD, 17 July 2012
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I went to the cinema to see this first & absolutely loved it! I then bought the DVD & watched it again. I read the book afterwards. The book & the film are slightly different & maybe should have read the book first. I wasn't disappointed though, brilliant film & good to see bits of Edinburgh in it! I would definitely recommend this. I can see me watching this film again.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is much better, 16 Feb 2012
Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I prefer One Day as novel than a film adaption. The emotional attachment and connection of the key characters receive a stronger impact in the novel compared to the film. The story journeys back to 1988, where Dexter and Emma acquaint with each other and start to develop a special friendship through a passage of time. The snapshot of the times is too rushed and as a result the film seems to be condensed from the book, as key events are missing. We miss out key nostalgic events, that would have been nice to include as a special rememberance to those special days we grew up to. The chemistry between the characters is great from what is captured, but injustice has been done as it lacks details. A series of brief snapshots filled in the film, without exploring key events sufficently. One Day is an emotional and romantic story, as it about a special friendship that grows as a relationship. The film conveys the feeling of emotional and sadness to a certain degree, but just incomplete and lacks something to blow your mind. There are some variations which are questionable context of the story, as it drifts to new directions than a satisfying conclusion. The script writers should have recaptured the events accurately and that would have stayed in your mind similiar to the events in the novel. I will not fault the acting at all, as it is off the highest standard. I am not a fan of Americans doing a British accent, as Dick Van Dyke laughable cockey accent is one example. In this case, the talented actress Ann Hatheway did a reasonable accent, but there are no trace of nothern accents as it sounds plain English and southern accent. I will remember One Day as a brilliant novel than as a brilliant film on basis of my comments. It is an average film and had the potential to be something great. Three stars is a fair reflection. Films never do justice to books in what I have experienced so far. I look forwarded to something special with One Day, but did not meet my expectations fully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good representation of the book, 22 July 2012
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
well directed and acted. This movie does the book justice. In fact, I generally harp on about movies wrecking/not getting the plot/etc...but the character development in this is so well done. The ending was fantastic. Well done xo

2.0 out of 5 stars Film Review, 18 July 2012
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I pre-ordered the film after reading the book and with such a promising cast I was eager to see the clever, brilliant work of fiction be turned into a blockbuster. But I was bitterly disappointed. Many scenes are rushed, the story does not flow and pivotal moments have been altered. I would recommend reading the book and choosing a better chic flick, for example 500 days of summer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Films never do the book justice, 10 Sep 2011
CC (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I have just returned from watching One Day after absolutely falling in love with the book and I have to say that although I enjoyed the film, I think that it could have been better.

For me, the characters were played well by both Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess but it annoyed me how chunks of the storyline were missed out just so that each year could be conveniently concluded before we moved on the the next one. I went with a friend who had never read the book but did very much enjoy the film and although I did too, I had a few gripes:

In the book, the reader is told where the characters are on July 15 each year but you don't get that in the film. Instead, you are left guessing - is that France? How come Emma moved to Paris? Which University did they go to? Are they in London now? In the book, the locations play an integral part of the story of their lives, for example, Edinburgh is a very big deal! It is, after all, where Dex and Emma first meet after graduating and it is where Dex and his child return much later. Sadly the film fails spectacularly on this level.

The book also focuses on some very moving moments such as the frankly hideous and painful chapter where Dex meets Silvie's parents and odious brothers. You just know that he is completely out of his depth with this hideously posh and pretentious family but the film doesn't manage to convey this sense of social awkwardness. Also, the part in the book where Dex is babysitting was a very poignant moment because somehow Dex has managed to grow up, get married and become a dad but, again, the film does not convey the emotion surrounding this particular period in Dex's life.

Moving on to another character, in the book, Ian was frankly an annoying pitiful loser but the film didn't bring that over to me. The film made him actually likeable and rather witty. But although this was another of my gripes I must say that the actor who played him did a really good job and his scene with Dex towards the end was very moving.

I could go on. And on.

I suggest that you watch One Day because it really is quite a decent film. Anne Hathaway's accent is certainly not Northern but it is no Dick Van Dyke either. Jim Sturgess is gorgeous and he carried the film for me. Just don't expect it to be like the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book Fan's Perspective, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
It's hard for me to predict what my reactions towards this film would be if I hadn't read the book.

On the one hand, I enjoyed watching the characters I'd become so attached to in the novel come to life on screen, yet at the same time felt frustrated that although plot-wise the film was an almost direct copy of the book, character-wise some key things were missing. Alternatively, if I hadn't read the book, yes I would not be comparing Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess' Emma and Dexter to the one David Nicholl's created in the book, but at the same time would I care about the characters as much? Would I be interested in their story? I really can't say.

For those who have not had the pleasure (and it really was a pleasure) of reading the book, the basic story here is of Anne and Dexter, who shared a night of almost-passion on the day they graduated from university, and who carry on their friendship/relationship over the next 20 years. Each year on the same day we have a little glimpse as to what these two are up to (sometimes they are together, sometimes they are apart) and how their lives are progressing. I compare One Day to the Time Traveler's Wife, not just because they are both film adaptations of well loved novels, but because I think the reason both have become so successful is not because of their plots, but because of the complexity of the 2 main characters. Henry and Claire are so alive in the book you can imagine them being real, and the same can be said for Dexter and Emma.

And, similar to the film adaptation of tTTW, where One Day falls down is it's inability to show what is truly fascinating about it's protagonists. Jim Sturgess did a brilliant job trying to portray Dexter - rich, posh, overly confident and arrogant with buckets full of swagger - but he was not given a script to do the character justice. What made Dexter really interesting was how he was a man with so much promise, who had everything he could want - cash, good looks, charm, - but he somehow managed to destroy absolutely everything and end up with nothing. And the script doesn't show us just how far Dexter falls. His drug and alcohol-abuse (which is a heavy focus of the book) is quickly passed by, skimmed over, mentioned once or twice and never expanded to show us the real horror of what he's become. Near the end of the film is another example of when the script only shows us a small part of Dexter's struggle - it's almost like this film is a trailer for the book, giving us little snippets but never expanding or exploring on the topics long enough.

Whereas I like Sturgess' portrayal of Dexter, I do have issue with Anne Hathaway's Emma, and no it's not because of the accent that everyone keeps harking on about. Book Emma always struck me as someone loud, brash and opinionated, falsely confident on the outside to make up for the huge insecurities and low self-esteem on the inside. She's funny, she's witty, and she's never short on words to say. Hathaway's Emma however is painfully awkward and shy, and has none of the sparkle or wit book Emma possesses. In the novel you can fully understand Dexter's attraction to Emma, her drawing power. In the film however you've got to wonder what on earth Dexter sees in her.

I have plenty more to say on this film, but I'll save that for another time and place. I hope my review has given both those who have read the book and those who haven't an idea of what to expect, and an understanding of what exactly I thought was lacking and why the magic of David Nicholl's novel failed to translate well onto the big screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! VERY MOVING!, 27 Aug 2011
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
ONE DAY was absolutely brilliant! It was deeply moving and has some shocking moments. Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess were simply fantastic and were extremely convincing as the two leadroles. The storyline was moving, funny, shocking and tear-jerking. The music worked very well with the story and the settings were great. The reason i gave this four stars was because it did drag at times and there are some cliches. But they weren't extreme. Overall a very enjoyable film. BRILLIANT! 8/10!

One Day [DVD] [2011]
One Day [DVD] [2011] by Lone Scherfig (DVD - 2012)