5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product

2.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll and Hyde
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by R. Bentley

2.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll and Hyde, 13 Oct 2011
R. Bentley "Angler" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this satnav as an upgrade from my original TomTom 1 version 2. It really is a Jekyll and Hyde device. When it works it is great, really great. The smart routing automatically guided me around a slow horse-box one time, and the traffic alerts are way more accurate than overhead gantry signs or anything you hear on the radio - very impressive. The Google search is outstanding - you can search for, for example, a coffee shop close to you, on your route, or close to your destination; wonderful !

But when it gives problems it is terrible. The first sign of trouble was when Google search stopped working; it told me it couldn't contact the server, even all the other Live services (e.g. traffic) worked fine. I contacted TomTom support (after a long wait) and the techie advised resetting to factory values, which worked. The trouble is there is no way to back-up your settings. You can back-up your favourites, but that's all and it is very obviously an after-thought in the software. You can't back-up anything else, so getting the device back to how you like it is a long & tedious affair.

A week later it started rebooting every minute or so. This time I was away from home so couldn't restore my favourites after resetting to factory values. It worked, again, but I had to re-enter all my settings by hand, again.

The bottom line is that when it works properly it is fantastic, the best satnav I have used, but it's flaky. TomTom appear to have taken this device to market before it is ready, and before they are ready to adequately support it. If you are going to buy one I advise you wait for 6-12 months while TomTom iron out the very obvious bugs, and train their techies to suggest things other than "Reset to Factory Settings".

UPDATE - 2 years later. I have kept the unit up to date with all updates and have kept Live services going and I have now lost patience with TomTom. My unit has completely stopped showing safety camera alerts despite my Live subscription being up to date, and I'm not the only one - search Google for "tomtom live 820 cameras" and see what comes up. The scary thing is that other TomToms clearly use the same firmware/software, so the erratic behaviour I am seeing is also seen on other, more expensive TomToms. I have bought my last TomTom. If anyone knows how I can trade this thing in for a Garmin please reply here.

3.0 out of 5 stars TomTom making progress, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 825 EU Satellite Navigation System (Electronics)
I had read many reviews of the 82x and 100x TomToms containing a lot of complaints, so when I took the risk and bought one I was relieved to find that most problems seem to have been overcome. Updating maps, speed cameras and live traffic info work OK, and the integrated mount works well. The screen is clearer and the instructions better than my old "One".
What doesn't work? Well the MyTomTom software used for updating is pretty poor e.g. while you start downloading the initial map update (about 1hr) it immediately reports "your maps are up to date" - reading the many complaints I suspect this leads a lot of people to quit before it has downloaded. MapShare is not yet available and the memory (which is 95% full with European maps) cannot be increased because the SD card slot is not yet enabled. What is amazing is that these devices have been on sale for over a year, with both these features trumpeted in the sales blurb and no prominent mention that they don't work.
So while I am pleased with the device and it is great at the job, I have given only 3 stars because of dishonesty/incompetence on behalf of TomTom. Full marks for Amazon though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 6 Sep 2011
J. Simpson (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace an aging Tomtom One XL V1, and so far been very happy I used it next day for a trip and the planning was so much faster than my old model also love the spoken street names and the advanced lane guidance when on motorways was very helpful, the only gripe I would have if any was that before my first trip I connected it to the PC and had to wait about 40 mins for updates to download and install which delayed me going out, but once that was done everything great, would recommend, I choose this over the 820 model for the 5" Screen which is easier to see but I dont see me ever driving in Europe but you never know but for the £20 extra over the UK only 820 model with smaller screen I think it was worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be great but its totally unreliable, 21 April 2012
Went through the set up easy, first journey entered my destination every thing was great. Directions, clarity of screen, voice, instructions etc. Good buy I thought.

Second journey switched on and enterered destination. TomTom said searching for a valid GPS signal. Oh, I thought, its the area it will pick it up in a minute. So I started driving; 10 minutes later still no GPS signal and I am lost. Eventually had to phone a colleague who directed me as I drove to my destination. Arrived for an important appointment 15 minutes late.

After the appointment, tried again for homeward journey again, no success. Later that day I did a reset and picked up a GPS signal. Great I thought, thats fixed it but no. Switched it off and the next time I switched it on I lost the GPS and had to reboot again.

When I went to look for support it turns out that this is a known issue to TomTom across most of their models and is on their Website. There is a supposed fix on the Website but the instructions and guidance are completely hopeless. They give instructions which are simply incorrect. For example, to identify the Software version they say go to Settings and then select MyDevice. Guess what? There isn't a my device menu in TomTom 825 its actually in Status & Information. When I finally found it and checked the version it appears the software version on the device is not the most recent. The fix instructions say go to the MyTomTom application connect your device and it will automatically update. Guess what? I connected to MyTomTom and it tells me my device is up to date. I have looked to see if there is a way I can force an install of the latest software but there are no such instructions on the TomTom. Finally, I thought I would contact TomTom direct but Guess what? There is no information on how to do this either by phone or email on their site. So I have finally given up and my device is being returned to Amazon today.

It is interesting to note that when I went through the return process on the amazon site I didn't have the option of a replacement. When I checked on Amazon today, despite having 6 in stock they have removed it from sale.

Final conclusion, at the moment I wouldn't go near a TomTom with a barge pole. I would happily buy this device again in the future but only if I am reassured that:-

1. TomTom have finally resolved this problem; and
2. They get their customer support sorted out so that the information on their site is accurate and customers experiencing technical difficulties are guaranteed the facility to be able to contact them and get the different levels of support they need.

1.0 out of 5 stars A flop!, 7 April 2012
I have had no end of problems with this product since I purchased it 2 weeks ago (end March 2012). Once turned off after using and then turning on again for another journey, it constantly 'freezes' which means I have to run a complete restart almost daily. This may be a faulty product my friends who have the same Tom Tom complain of the same malfunction. This is frustrating and not what I expect from Tom Tom!

2.0 out of 5 stars TomTom GO LIVE 825 Sat Nav with Europe Maps, 1 Oct 2012
Wow what can I say? When it works it's generally very good but there are a ridiculous number of problems with it. I won't bore you with all of them but will mention a few points.
We used this in France and Spain this summer and found the google live search option very good - it enabled us to find hotels, petrol stations and restaurants at will. What really disappointed us throughout the 3,700 mile round trip was the constant failure of TomTom to know the speed limits on roads that were not new and had been present for many years. This fundamental flaw caused a lot of annoyance and could have been expensive (if stopped by the police) and dangerous. In addition, the live option we had was, at times, hopeless. In two French towns in particular, where there had been road works for some time - installing tram lines - the device was unable to cope with this and sent us round in circles. We eventually used the old fashion method - a map! It was far easier. Finally throughout the trip, the device was slow to plot routes and froze on a number of occasions and even shut itself down on three occasions. Once again, fortunately, we were also using a map, but this kind of killed the point of having a sat nav.
In the uk, it has performed generally very well but again there has been annoyance with traffic cameras as it constantly asks if a camera is still present or not. Not particularly safe when driving. TomTom really need to sort themselves out and spend a bit of money on decent R&D. They've squeezed out most of the other companies and seem happy to rest on their laurels.
Final gripe. Upon receipt, I could not use it straight away but had to update it immediately as they knew there was a problem and a patch had to be downloaded. Once again, on a new model, perhaps I could understand, but on one that has been around for sometime they should be ashamed!
Amazon have been fantastic and I'll be returning the unit and looking elsewhere. Hope this helps other.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and awful at the same time!, 27 Sep 2011
G. A. Tuxworth (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Have had this for a few weeks now so thought I would share my experiences with others. Firstly, as to the device itself, it is absolutely brilliant. So far it has worked flawlessly, selecting routes quickly and informing me of any delays on the journey, which have all been very accurate. My only slight niggle is the volume of incoming phone calls via the bluetooth, which is too quiet and I haven't figured out how to increase it yet, any suggestions gratefully received. Otherwise, the device itself is first rate.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the TomTom software supporting the device, basically it is confused, confusing and generally awful. My old device was updated using TomTom Home software, this one, you are told on purchase, to use MyTomTom for updates. On initially going to the website it suggests that this model is not compatible with the software but apparently it is. It certainly seemed not to be compatible to start with as I couldn't get it to work at all. However, after a bit of judicious googling, I discovered that the website doesn't work properly if you are using Internet Explorer 9, which I was. Quite how TomTom could release a website for their latest devices, which doesn't work with the latest version of the most commonly used browser in the world, personally I find quite astonishing! The only way I could solve the problem was to download Chrome and use that to open the MyTomTom site.
The device does not come with any sort of instructions, merely a link to the website where you can hopefully find what you want. I say hopefully, because it seems to me very difficult to get the answers that you want, and this coming from someone who considers them self fairly computer literate.
Oh, and one last point, if like me you have previously had a TomTom with a TomTom account, DON'T try and link your new device to the old account, it will all go horribly wrong. You need to create a new account WITH A NEW EMAIL ADDRESS for it to work properly.
So, in summary, if you have previously had a TomTom and know how they work without any instructions and feel confident enough to brave the vagaries of the TomTom so called "support" website, then buy this device because it is great, otherwise you may have to think again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom 825 ---Great Sat Nav, 26 Oct 2011
First let me say that I was a Garmin user and avoided Tom Tom simply because Garmin I felt were better,
I have had 3 Garmins that were perfect to a certain degree, but they tended to take me through country lanes on occasions for no apparent reason. I upgraded to a Garmin 1490T and was happy until I did a software update. For some reason this update caused the 1490T to start freezing but worst of all tried to send me in the totally different direction.
I had then to contend with a very angry lady telling me to make a U turn, then it tried to take me off the motorway and through a town centre and back onto the motorway. As it happened I ignored it and stayed where I was, only once again to be bombarded with U turns instructions and how my travelling time had now doubled this by the way was not the case.
On returning home I contacted Garmin Customer Services and after a long wait was put through to Carl.
He told me that I was at fault and must have programmed it wrongly, after going through all the checks with him he gave up, only to tell me that the Sat Nav must have got lost and that was the cause of the problem.

As you can imagine I was not happy. So I started looking around for a replacement, I decided to break my own rule and try a Tom Tom, and was going to get a 1005, however the reviews and price seemed to suggest that the 1005 was not very good.

Completely by accident I found a Tom Tom Live Go 825 that was in my opinion is the same as a 1005 but with a card slot and the price was right.

What can I say it's brilliant it puts Garmin to shame? Clear directions, easy to read map I never took a wrong turn.
It has numerous features for example if you want to know where the next petrol station is it tells you and shows you where it is, and where the next one is after that, also Shops, Parking what ever you want to find just set it.

Live Traffic : I don't know how it works but it was spot on. I travelled down the M6 and it displayed all incidents ahead and the delay time, For example the traffic was flowing well and then I noted that it was telling me there was going to be an 18 Min delay due to an accident, at first I didn't believe it, but sure enough we stopped about 2 miles on and within 18Min we were on our way again. In the town centre It showed me where the traffic was moving slowly and offered an alternative if I wanted it.

Clear freeze frame lane directions on a motorway but not in the towns, I can only hope that one day that can be offered in particular for large Roundabouts but that is not the units fault.

There are also weather reports, access to Google, Hands free as well.

If you use a Garmin as I did think again, or if you are thinking about buying one for the first time then you want buy this Tom Tom 825 unit.

And believe me I will not be buying Garmin again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY CAPABLE DEVICE, 26 Oct 2011
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was bought as a replacement for my trusty 720 and the Co-pilot installed on my android smart phone.

The significant improvement over the 720 is the speed with which it starts and picks up the satellites, usually in under a minute if it remembers where you last switched off. If you are in a completely different place to when you last used it, it can take a few seconds longer.

The quality of the routing far exceeds the Co-pilot for android, highlighted on a recent journey, it took the route I know to be the fastest while the phone wanted to take me on a journey that was 20 miles longer. I also like it when it tells me that I have reached my destination `on the left' or `on the right'.

The suction cup which is now integral to the device is well designed and holds up impeccably when stuck to the windscreen. However, I tend not to use it in my car as the windscreen is some distance away from the driving position, sometimes making it less easy to see. I have the 820 installed on a Brodit clip on the dashboard within fingertip reach of my steering wheel. Easy to access while on the journey without having to lean right forward.

The Tom Tom live is very good and keeps up to date. For instance, during one journey there was a huge back log off traffic on the opposite carriageway through road works and this was shown on the device. On my return journey about two hours later no delays were reported and sure enough there were no longer any delays. Very impressive.
It is also a dinky little device, solid build quality and looks good.

I didn't have any problems connecting it with a windows 7 laptop though I do prefer the old Tom Tom Home program that I used with my 720.
My only irritation with the device is the design of the USB socket, proprietary connection only.

All in all, Tom Tom have again brought out a capable sat-nav that outperforms the rest, not only on the routing but also on the live traffic updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom GO LIVE 825 EU Satellite Navigation System, 21 Nov 2011
DP Jackson "Dave Jackson" (Bavaria, Germany) - See all my reviews
I like it 150%!!
I bought this GPS to replace a TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav whose screen I inadvertently damaged beyond repair.
I wish I'd bought the Go Live 825 EU before! It's way better with twice the internal memory and an inbuilt suction cup type mounting. It will automatically work horizontally either way up which is handy. The menu system is an improvement on the 700 series with planning a journey being possible indoors with no satellite signal - a lot less tricky than the 700 series. I was able to re-create my favourites quite easily while offline too using the improved POI feature. The voice command feature is also easy to use and well thought out - it really does work!!!
There are quite a few little tricks available - eg the status display can be placed in vertical orientation on the right hand side. I know there are more of these features that I haven't had chance to try yet. I'll add them in a second review shortly.

If there is something very minor amiss it's the lack of a proper mini usb connector - it uses a proprietary design which just differs slightly from the industry standard. This rules out using the 700 series power cable. Even then there is a plus side - you can lengthen the power cable by adding a standard usb extension cable - mine worked with a 5 metre length inserted!!

Otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend this model to anyone driving in Europe.