5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the daily grind

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very fine
Published on 27 Nov. 2010 by Twasme

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very fine, 27 Nov. 2010
Twasme (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a replacement for an expired Russell Hobbs 10934 coffee grinder. That, despite its many failings, could grind coffee quite finely. This Bodum grinder is much better (and at twice the price, so it should be) but has one major failing: it does not grind very finely, and this seems inherent in its design. It has a feature to prevent the burr grinder being damaged by stones accidentally mixed in with coffee beans. That feature results in the grinder being quite a loose assembly. I'm not an espresso drinker but, grinding for paper filter, I have this grinder set on its finest setting and the grounds are still relatively coarse.

As noted by a reviewer of Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder - Orange the instruction leaflet is, to put it mildly, not very helpful. For example, it tells you that the grinder is 'pre-set' to medium grinding, whereas it is only set by inserting the coffee bean container and twisting it (you can only insert the container with the grinder at its coarsest setting). However, once assembled it is quite intuitive to use.

When operating, the grinder grinds quite quickly, the beans flow into the grinder well, and it is no noisier than other burr grinders. But for a grinder where the instructions say it should only be run for 20 seconds before waiting for 5 minutes, the bean container is very over-sized. The seals on both the lids for the bean container and ground container are quite weak, and both come off quite easily. Apart from that the construction seems quite sturdy and solid, and the glass ground container helps to keep static down.

3.0 out of 5 stars A replacement for the Krups, 17 Jan. 2013
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I first started into making proper coffee about 18 months ago as opposed to instant stuff. I have a filter coffee machine and a Gaggia Classic. Gaggia Classic RI8161 Coffee Machine with Professional Filter Holder, Stainless Steel Body

To complement the Gaggia I have a Krups burr grinder Krups Expert GVX231 Burr Coffee Grinder which is perfectly fine but not a very good quality machine for 1-cup usage (I would grind a batch every few days).

Santa this year brought me the Bodum with the aim of getting a fresher grind each time and all round less fuss. It's had a hard few weeks work now so I'll review it.

The Bodum is plastic and glass in construction. The main body is rubberised, the bean container is plastic and the collector is glass. The electrical switch (which is pointless) and the timer setting are both a bit on the tacky side. I feel that given the cost of the grinder, these components could be better.

So after plugging in the 80cm power cable, how does it perform? On the first few uses, I was gutted! There was me expecting to produce perfect Espresso coffee but all I could get was a strong black - no crema. It got to a point where I was considering returning it to santa but then I decided to swallow the loss of a few man points and read the instructions. I'll come to the instructions in a moment but firstly, it turns out that unlike the Krups, the grind setting (achieved by twisting the bean container) MUST be made whilst the grinder is operating. At this point, I took my head up from the instructions and uttered the word 'oops'. A few moments later, I have produced what I call a perfect espresso with a nice big crema dollop on top. Brilliant? I'm not sure to be honest. In my case, it is but in order to achieve my perfect grind, I've had to set the machine on the finest it can go. With some other beans, this maybe an issue. I have tried 4 different brands so far and all have produced no issues however. As it is, I've worked out the perfect time required for it to produce the correct amount of coffee for my beverage and I'm very happy with it.

Back to those instructions I mentioned - they are crazy! I've uploaded images of what we get. To use the Bodum, if you read the instructions first, you'll probably not want to. It sounds like it's ready to kill us! Use an RCD. Make sure the mains on/off switch is readily available in case of emergencies. No liability for accidents caused by having no earth. Don't use in a swimmming pool. (Ok, maybe the last point is a joke)
Once you've agreed to plug in the potential killer, how are we told to use it? Here's my interpretation of the diagrams.
1. Take the lid off
2. Pour your favourite beans in
3. Replace the lid
4. Set the grind setting and grind the beans
5. Make your coffee
6. Empty the beans out of the container by tipping the whole device up (being careful not to get electrocuted, of course)
7. Replace the container

I'm not doing 6 and 7 because this defeats the 1-cup idea that was my aim. I'm not having any problems with coffee quality.

Other silly quotes in the instructions: "Empty the coffee bean container after every grinding operation (20 secs) to avoid overheating the motor." The presence of coffee beans in the container can overheat the motor apparently?
"Warning: In order to prevent the motor from overheating, do not grind more than 1 complete unit (1x20 secs)in succession. After, wait 5 minutes to let the motor cool down before restarting" Yes, that's right, after 20 seconds of use, look at the clock and make sure you don't turn it on again for 5 minutes. I'd love to know what happens if it does overheat but given the price, I won't test it.
"Guarantee requirements. The Guarantee certificate must be filled out by the seller at the time of purchase." Ummmmm, Amazon, send someone over!

All in all, the Bodum is giving me great coffee and I'm happy with it. The instructions are daft. It is giving me less grief than the Krups and perfect coffee is easier to gain. I do think that for the money, it should be more robust in both the hardware and paperwork departments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally flawed, 2 Aug. 2014
T. Stainer (UK) - See all my reviews
Nice looking grinder but with a fundamental flaw - it simply doesn't grind fine enough for espresso despite what it claims. If this is why you're thinking of buying it, don't. Believe the other reviewers here and look for something different.

No matter how much I tamp, I can't get a pull longer than 10-15 secs using coffee ground on the so-called "espresso" setting on this machine. This means espressos are acidic and lacking body.

It's disappointing from a company which seems to pride itself on producing decent coffee making equipment.

For any other use, it's okay. Looks good in the kitchen, nice big hopper, relatively quiet and the glass jar reduces mess due to static. It will also let you grind direct into a portafilter and doesn't require the jar to be in place to work, like many grinders.

Shame such an otherwise good grinder falls down on such a fundamental thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good grinder but messy, 27 Feb. 2013
A good efficient grinder once you trisl snd error to get the grind right for you. The pre selected levels is a courser grind than I prefer but it didn't take long to adjust to my liking. A bit messy when you pull out the jar as there tends to be grinds on top of the lid. Very smart looking though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the daily grind, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Bodum 10903-565UK Bistro Electric Coffee Grinder - Lime Green (Kitchen & Home)
Yes, l did buy the green version! It matches my kitchen decor and actually sits well on the worktop. This machine is solid. It feels solid and it makes a solid noise as it grinds. The results have been exactly to my requirements. I have a Gaggia Classic and the grind is perfect for this. I use the espresso setting (turned to the far left) I have tried the other settings for a filter machine and find them to be perfect as well. The time of the grind is set rather than the amount to be ground. This is easy to adapt to. For me, on espresso, 5 seconds for one person and 10 seconds for two.
This grinder is easy to clean, a joy to use with its glass container and makes no mess. I do love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars More expensive I'll admit but it's truly brilliant and everyting about it works perfectly, 5 Aug. 2014
I bought this as a replacement for an aging blade grinder. More expensive I'll admit but it's truly brilliant and everyting about it works perfectly.
The thing I like best really is the consistency of grind that is infinitely adjustable that I certainly didn't get with the blade grinder. Also the stop/start button that can be pressed at any time during the grind process. Other machines have to complete their grind cycles and this can give too much if the correct time has not been selected.
The top lid is airtight so you don't lose any of the aroma
It's a lot quieter than other conical grinders and also very simple to clean.
Great tasting coffee any time I want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small, Quiet and looks good on any worktop, 8 Feb. 2015
I have had this grinder now for a little over a week and I am overall very happy with the results. Now to deal with a few of the comments from other reviewers.

Does it grind to a "Proper Espresso" Grind? No, but it does grind pretty fine and if like me you have a pressurised coffee machine then you will be just fine. Just ensure you Tamp firmly and squarely and with a little practice like me you should be just fine.

Can you grind directly into a portafilter? i guess this will depend on the size and make of your portafilter. If like me the portafilter is of the "Small Variety" then I would suggest to avoid mess you just leave the jar in place and using a measuring spoon, spoon from there into your portafilter. I have a airtight container that i use to keep the stuff that drops off as I am leveling off and this keeps just fine for a day or two (but no longer or you will lose taste)

The grinder itself looks great on the worktop, is very quiet and has a large enough hopper to take a standard 250g bag of coffee beans. The glass jar is a great addition as most grinders in this price range have a plastic container and this can cause a great deal of static and is more difficult to clean.

The power lead could be a little longer if you want it in a certain place, if you do not have enough power sockets, you may need to jiggle your kitchen about or like me use a power extension to allow you to keep the grinder next to your coffee machine.

If you are wanting a "Professional" Espresso grind quality then you will need to spend about double the cost of this and perhaps more.

If you have a non pressurised coffee machine then the smallest grind will probably be too coarse and your espresso pulls will probably be a little too fast.

If you are looking to use a french press(cafetiere) or other filter drip style coffee machines then this will do the job just fine and I am sure you will be delighted with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does precisely what it is meant to do, 6 Feb. 2014
Have used the grinder for a month now to grind for my espresso machine. It grinds enough for a double shot in less than 10 seconds, so the question of running it too long never becomes an issue. At maximum setting it grinds too fine for my coffee maker, so I run it a notch or two from maximum setting.

It looks good and if I want a coarse grind for the plunger coffee then this is not a problem.

It is quieter than expected, so first thing in the morning I bother no one.

Excellent for the price and very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grindingly good, 18 Aug. 2013
It does exactly what it says! It does say that you shouldn't grind for more than 20 seconds at a time, but I only grind sufficient for the coffees I'm making at the time, so that isn't an issue

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new coffee experience!, 31 July 2014
We love our daily cup of coffee but always felt that it was not as good as coffee shop coffee. What a difference this burr grinder has made! Lots more flavour from our usual coffee but no bitterness. It is also so easy to use. We have used it to grind coffee for both stove top espresso maker and cafetiere with equal success. Grinding our own and less visits to coffee shops and I reckon the grinder will pay for itself in no time.