5.0 out of 5 stars Wise and reassuring
Published on 26 Oct 2009 by Eternal Student

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend this book
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise and reassuring, 26 Oct 2009
When tragedy strikes in our own life or the lives of others, most of us look for a reason. In this book, Gordon Smith gathers together a range of approaches to suffering that can help us to cope better. He inspires us with a wise spiritual perspective, encouraging us to allow ourselves to be strengthened and enriched by the challenges we overcome. He admits that sometimes the reason for our trials is a mystery which cannot be explained away with some one-size-fits-all theory. He also includes down-to-earth advice which helps us to take responsibility for the part we have played in bringing about some (though not all) of our misfortunes and shows us how to rise above difficult circumstances to reclaim our lives.
The beauty of this book is that as well as being a wise spiritual teacher, Gordon isn't afraid to face the harsh reality of everyday human life. The examples he gives and the stories he tells are moving and also reassure us that he knows all about the challenges of 'the real world'. This isn't some philosophical piece of work far removed from the lives that most of us live. I honestly believe that everyone will find something in this book that echoes their own darkest experiences and ultimately uplifts them. Thank-you Gordon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Superb Book From Gordon But With A Difference, 12 Jan 2010
Mr. Roger Prettyman (Beds. U.K.) - See all my reviews
Having read all of Gordon`s previous books I looked forward to this new one, with anticipation. I was not disappointed.

He gives a new slant on why things (not only bad ones) happen in our lives. These, he explains, are "Timelines", or paths along which we make our way through life. We do not make (bad) things happen - they are already preplanned and we take the path that leads down that particular road. We make the choice as to which path we take but not what happens along the way.

Also, there are included in the book quite a few "Readings" he has had with people. Always interesting to read, as usual.

Overall, a book to be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Do Bad Things Happen, 19 Jun 2014
Another one to my collection , Gordon smith is very good , and he gives it to you straight , he makes it so easy to understand about what goes on .

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend this book, 7 Feb 2010
I found the book to be very disappointing because there was no real discussion about what fate, destiny, kismet, free will etc. really are and how they can impact upon people in a variety of different ways. The failure to given a clear definition of each of these terms also reduced the strength of the author's argument. I couldn't help but think that the book should have been called Why Bad Things Happen According to Gordon Smith. All of the examples came from his own life and there was little wider discussion to set what he felt was the reason for why bad things happened into a wider context. Timelines and blueprints for life are mentioned but the author doesn't really argue their point. By the time I finished reading the book I hadn't changed my own opinions and I really wasn't sure what Gordon Smith's opinions were either, as he frequently made what appeared to be contradictory statements without acknowledging them.

I have read most of Gordon Smith's books and after reading each one I became more disillusioned with him as an author. If you have read one of his books before you will have read something that is in this book. Why he insists on using the same examples over and over again is beyond me. Especially since he boasts of the thousands and thousands of readings he has done, surely he doesn't need to continually mention the same examples from when he worked in his shop. I found the combination of repeating these stories with page after page of homespun convoluted philosophy too much. Although the name dropping of fellow celebrities such as Darren Day and Mica Paris did amuse me, it was for all the wrong reasons.

I am not questioning Mr Smith's ability as a medium. I have seen him talk at a discussion and found him very interesting, but I shall not be reading another of his books. In a couple of places in the book I was disturbed by his attitude and the examples he chose to illustrate a point from his own life. In both cases people had refused/ignored his advice. For example in Chapter 6 I was horrified to read about an acquaintance he infers was delusional and gossips about her mental breakdown. In Chapter 11 the author describes another former friend whom he felt was consumed by greed once he became successful and again gossips about his family. In both instances I felt the author was smug and self righteous, what right does he have to cast judgement and publicly mock and gossip about these people in his book because they didn't want him in their life. In both cases the description/beliefs of these people were so specific that it would be obvious to their family and friends who the author is talking about. Personally I think Mr Smith should be ashamed of himself and apologise for publicly mocking them. These were two people in need of help, understanding and some compassion which I didn't find to be evident within the pages of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 27 Mar 2010
Mrs. Diane Mitchell (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Why Do Bad Things Happen
This is a well written book, Gordon is an excellent medium. Originally bought it as I am mentioned in it as I know Gordon, but really enjoyed reading it. This book would help anyone who is going through a bad patch in life. I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars One person's opinion does not always make for interesting reading!, 24 July 2010
L. Mateus "lolakaycee" (SW London) - See all my reviews
I had never heard of this author, but felt compelled to buy the book after reading some topics in the contents table that interested me.
This book is this medium's opinion on age old questions.What made for dull,lack lustre reading was that the book was a series of stories of who he knew and what they did as a way to address these questions.I'm afraid the book quickly bored me as I was looking to read a book that had something enlightening or in the very least interesting to say.This book had neither.I am now really sorry I spent my good money on it instead of getting it from the library. I would only recommend this book to someone who is a fan of Gordon Smith and his valid (or invalid) banter on the field he claims to be an expert on. As for me, I just wasn't convinced.

1.0 out of 5 stars You cannot be serious, 5 Feb 2010
Imagine there was no God. No fairies or elves. No 'other side'. No karma. Now, imagine how a world like that would work and what it would look like. It's pretty much like our world, isn't it? Funny that.

Why Do Bad Things Happen?
5.14