Format: DVD|Change

on 31 July 2011
i approached this set with caution as it does clearly look like a rip off of indiana jones, but let me get this out of the way, it is pretty much nothing like indy...

the only real similarities are:

1.) in the first and third parts our hero 'Jack Hunter' wears a beige shirt and fedora
2.) Jack hunter is a treasure hunter
3.) he is trying to stop someone getting a mythical object that contains great power.

and that's pretty much where i'd say the similarities end. for me while watching the films i never felt like it was like indy. if anything it feels more like a more grown up version of something like 'national treasure'. at heart it is a classic adventure film where clues lead them all over turkey and syria.

of course, the films were made for televison on a budget nowhere near as large as hollywood films, but for me this meant that they didn't rely on constant special effects and explosions. thye also never try and do anything that they know they can't do in terms of budgetry constraints. they never aim too high and as such it works better for that very reason.

I also found the writing to be actually pretty good for tv films. usually it all feels so fake and forced. in this i personally felt that they pulled it off. I got drawn into the story and really enjoyed all three of the films. i also felt that the ending to the final film was perfect for what had come before.

all of the actors involved perform brillinatly and even the 'annoying' sidekick these films always seem to feature, isn't that annoying.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this series of films to anyone who enjoys adevture films with a little bit of thinking involved.

BTW: it was far, far superior to the fourth indiana jones film in my view. at least in this series they don't blow up a fridge with a nuclear explosion and there are no cgi monkeys!
on 28 September 2011
I can honestly say that while I was nervous about this choice of box set once I had received it I put them on (one after the other til all three seen) and when all were finished I was slightly annoyed there wasn't anymore to see, the entire trilogy of films were absolutely engrossing - they sucked me in to the point that I did not want to pause them to do anything - I would definitely recommend this box set to anyone who enjoys action and adventure and even some comedy along the way.
on 25 July 2011
As there isn't a review for this box set, I thought I'd write a little something. The whole series is quite good, it contains three 'films' on three separate DVDs. I wasn't expecting much (as no-one can do Indiana Jones like Harrison Ford!) but thankfully, Jack Hunter is a pleasurable watch in his own right. There are some similarities to Indiana, but if you enjoy a little 'cheesy/cliche' type characters this won't offend you. The films are great for a Sunday afternoon and wonderful for anyone who enjoys Indiana type movies, or Egypt stories.
If you're stuck for a gift or want something fast-paced and intriguing then I'd recommend this series. Have fun!
on 8 April 2013
These three dvds form a trilogy which first aired as a mini tv series. they are all film length. Jack Hunter is an indiana jones type explorer searching for a ancient "laser type" weapon. There are goodies, baddies, and like all of these type of adventures, there is a sidekick and a girl involved too.
The action in all three takes place in the middle east, turkey, egypt and other places full of sand and tombs. The story moves on apace, with it not getting too silly. plenty of action, car chases, gun fights, heroics etc. They are good entertaining viewing for the family.
on 3 February 2012
It was typical of the genre. The Harrison Ford series was more exciting, but I still really enjoyed this Trilogy. Ivan Sergei was good in his role as was his woman companion.
on 4 May 2015
Utter total nonsense. Makes no sense. Unashamed rip off. Great way of spending a wet afternoon though and loved every minute.
on 26 April 2014
Did somebody decide to make a cheap television version of Indiana Jones for people who are too lazy to go the cinema?
These films are simply terrible. Rambling narrative, atrocious acting and generally as boring as a et weekend at the seaside.
It simply isn't possible to make a low budget story about a treasure hunter. At least not with the lacl of imagination and poor actors in this series. Complete waste of money
on 12 September 2015
Great series - great stories - great fun to watch. Not unlike I Jones - but a very different approach. I enjoyed watching all three episodes very much indeed and would be happy to view them repeatedly. Ivan Sergei was a very believable character and his adventures were fantastic. If you enjoy this type of film then collect them - they are great fun
on 24 September 2013
I first saw this trilogy on SKY but as we can`t receive it most of the time where we live I decided to order this DVD as it is great fun and I enjoy watching it again and again. It is along the lines of Indiana Jones, but set in modern times. It mixes adventure, romance, and sci-fi with good twists in the story.
on 30 January 2016
A cheap modern copy of Indiana Jones. All three of the films revolve around one storyline of finding two magical artefacts so it is very similar plot for all the films. Although saying this they are good films.