5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of fun - an excellent and enjoyable read
This is a very entertaining book for science fiction and fantasy fans. It is relatively short and makes for an easy and enjoyable read, with a classic tale of good versus evil, but with lots of fun and hilarity.
The target audience most likely to understand and enjoy the humour is mid to late teens, but as an approaching 50 year old I thoroughly enjoyed it too...
Published on 16 Feb. 2012 by Severian

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun easy read
This is aimed at the younger market but I found it easy to pick up and put down so I coulld happily read a chapter on the bus trip home.
Published 19 months ago by C D Lister

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of fun - an excellent and enjoyable read, 16 Feb. 2012
Severian "Severian" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cornerstone: A Fast Paced Fantasy Adventure (Kindle Edition)
My only issue was getting to the end and discovering there isn't a sequel yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant humorous urban fantasy!, 5 Jun. 2011
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Max Bloom is a typical teenager. Bored with everything and bored with being bored, Max decides as a last resort to enter the local library. This one decision is about to change his life forever. Finding a hidden note that leads to a magical book known as The Cornerstone, Max is transported to a parallel universe where they expect him to be a superhero.

This is Nick Spalding's third book, but his first real work of fiction and it is a quite brilliant humorous urban fantasy novel. The humour is exactly to my liking being fairly gentle and easy going rather than being totally "in your face". The fantasy part of the story is particularly well done too. You can see Nick's love of books coming through in his storytelling with a book being a literal as well as a metaphorical doorway into another universe and with words having real power when shaped by a Wordsmith.

Nick is also a regular contributor on the Kindle discussion pages here on Amazon and his love of the Kindle shows through in the care he has taken in the presentation of this book. If a publishing house wanted to see an example of how to present a book in Kindle format, this would be the perfect example. Formatting is exceptionally good, all the small details are right, for example, new chapters start on a new page, bold and italic fonts are used for emphasis, but are not overused, there is a good cover picture and a table of contents.

The story is quite long at almost 6300 Kindle locations and took me a couple of evenings and most of a weekend to read and I consider that to be time very well spent indeed. There is also a brief afterword from the author where he talks about where he got the idea for the story from and teases us with the possibility of a follow up. I always appreciate hearing about the author's thought process and feel it adds a lot to a book.

Overall: This book is worth nothing less than the full five stars. It hit my sense of humour pretty much on the head, the story itself was very nicely told indeed and the Kindle presentation is nothing short of exceptional. I for one would most certainly buy a sequel if he decides to write one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 4 Dec. 2011
A very entertaining fantasy novel with plenty of humour, where cocky English teenager Max Bloom, is whisked from his dull life in England into another dimension to save a girl and her people. The characters are portrayed well, particularly the protagonist Max Bloom. This is the first novel I've read by Nick Spalding and he's done a great job, keeping me hooked until the end. I'll definitely be checking out some of his other work and am looking forward to a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Terry Pratchett!, 7 Jun. 2011
Was really glad to see Nick Spalding had another book out and bought this straight away.

I love fantasy books like this, especially funny ones. I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and I really think Nick Spalding is as good as him at telling a funny, exciting fantasy story.

There were times in The Cornerstone where I laughed out loud, mainly at some of the things Max says and does.

The book goes really quickly and is fast paced, with some very exciting sequences. Great ending too.

Nick says some things in a note after the story that hints at a sequel which I really hope he writes.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Max is a huge hit with me!, 2 Nov. 2011
Well, I have to be honest, I downloaded this because I enjoyed the free vampire story so much I felt I had to buy some of Nicks work to make up for getting a freeby that was so very very good! I wanted to reward the author! I will be buying everything written by Nick now, his style is perfect for me. Funny, imaginative, well thought out story lines, I was not able to leave this book alone until I had completed it! There is a 3 star review on here that I have to take issue with, I dont care if the apostrophes are in the correct place, WHO CARES when the story is so brilliant!! This is so good that I would forgive dreadful spelling and formatting...but it doesnt have that anyway so just sit back and enjoy this wonderful story. A fantasy story with comedy and brilliant creativity, I loved it. I am very eager to read more about Max and the Cornerstone. Nick will have to be writing every second of the day to produce all the followups I would like to see. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and makes you laugh out loud., 23 Aug. 2011
Just a short review here. I am now 3/4 the way through reading The Cornerstone, and am enjoying it enormously! The characters are such that you know people just like them, the story is fast paced and combines elements that fantasy readers associate with.
Its a welcome change to read a book as much fun as this, that has British references, and not American.
Well done Nick, I will in the very near future be Kindle-ing all your other works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 4 Aug. 2011
The plot can be read via other reviews, so I shall not repeat it. What I will say is this....you will not be disappointed with purchasing this book. Great sense of humour throughout (without being too "in your face") and a very engaging storyline.

I would welcome a sequel anytime....you listening Mr Spalding?

5.0 out of 5 stars So Different, 4 Jun. 2011
seaholly (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
Very different from anything I've read before. I have read lots of fantasy but this is a very novel idea.
I loved the language and the unlikly hero. I do so hope that there is more to follow in this story. I will indeed be looking out for it. I will also be looking out for more from Nick Spalding who has now become one of my must have authors along with the likes of Stephen king.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant....Buy it NOW, 24 July 2011
Like other reviewers, I have also read other books by Nick, and just had to get this when I saw it; and am so glad I did.

He has got the central charater Max as the atypical bored teenager with attitude down to a tee. The action is fast paced and I found it hard to put down. I am a great fan of Terry Pratchets City Watch novels, having been introduced to them by my son, and I think this is just as good as any of them. I really enjoyed this book, so much so I have in turn introduced my son to Nicks books.

If you are a fan of fantasy or are just looking for a light-hearted, funny, easy read then buy this book now and let your imagination do the rest.

Nick has tantalisingly left the door open for a sequel which I sincerly hope he writes sooner rather than later. It is right at the top of my wish list. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indescribable., 5 Aug. 2013
The Cornerstone by Nick Spalding you-can't-put-it-down sort of book. I started on Sunday at 12pm, and finished at 10pm. It's a hugely side-splitting comedy. The main character, Max, is your average swearing, bored, non- book-reading 17 year old. So when he finds himself in Farfield library, then transported to another dimension, looking into the eyes of a stunning girl, who's begging that he will save her world from extinction. What is Max going to do?

A brilliant book by a brilliant author. READ IT. Or else the demons will ravage your mind.