4.0 out of 5 stars The Arctic, Up Close and Personal.
This film comes with a pretty good CV. It won the Silver Bear at last year's Berlin film festival and has received mostly positive reviews. Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian thought it "a gripping and superbly acted Russian drama". The one real discordant note came from Mark Monahan of the Telegraph who against the flow thought it was "two hours of your life you'll never get...
Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Bob Salter

3.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Effort
Aleksey Popogrebskiy's 2010 tale of two Russian meteorologists stationed on a desolate island in the Arctic Ocean has a great deal of initial promise, and whilst it delivers a rather slow, but always interesting and certainly well-acted, drama it does not quite live up to expectations. Both Sergei Puskepalis as the senior scientist and, particularly, Grigoriy Dobrygin as...
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Keith M

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 April 2015
Excellent film

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense psychological film. For those who appreciate serious art house., 28 July 2013
This review is from: How I Ended This Summer [DVD] (DVD)
This film is by Popogrebsky, russian art house director of younger generation. It won a prize at Berlin Film Festival. Watch it I if you prepared to slow pace development. it requires your thinking..Atmospheric, deep.
Soundtrack could be better though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 1 July 2013
This review is from: How I Ended This Summer [DVD] (DVD)
I had read positive reviews and decided to order it. My expectations were well met. The mood, the solitary artic scenes, the run down buildings together with the superb performances of the actors made it instantly one of my favorite Russian movies along with Father and Son. Worth watching it time and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Arctic colours but less enthusiastic about the storyline, 17 Feb. 2013
John Chandler (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Having visited the Russian Arctic I can confirm that this film gives an extremely life-like view of the harsh climate, the quite wonderful light and the run down buildings the Russians have to put up with, nothing like the luxurious American or Autralian bases in Antarctica for example. It also makes much of the effect isolation can have on those sent to such remote spots. Here lies the strength and the weakness of the storyline. In reality the young man, Pasha, should never have beeen sent there as he is emotionally quite unsuited to such work. His reaction to some unfortunate news is rather improbable in my view and the storyline thereafter deteriorates. The ending is confusing as potential medical issues are just ignored and the story ends with some uncertainty. A worthwhile rent, especially if you have an interest in the remote Russian Arctic, but I am not sure it will get much repeat watching. The Q&A session bonus is worth a watch first.

2.0 out of 5 stars approach with caution, 26 May 2012
This review is from: How I Ended This Summer [DVD] (DVD)
Well acted but ultimately frustrating...my main problem was with the younger scientist - an unbielievably stupid and pathetic character, at first you think the older guy is going to be the 'baddie' but it soon transpires how stupid the younger guy is and I went from rooting for him to wanting him shot!

secondly its a just too slow, too many shots linger for far too long which just gets annoying..

Its certainly unique and has an atmosphere of being cut off from the rest of the world but i cant say I would recommend this film particularly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but..., 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: How I Ended This Summer [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this film. The storyline was alright. I thought the acting was very good. And I liked the cinematography. However, I felt that it was far too long. There was a lot of time during which nothing really happened. I stuck with it, but there were a few long, empty moments where I was quite ready to turn the film off and go to bed. If I hadn't been so comfortable on the sofa and the remote had been within reach, I may have done just that. If it could have been cut down to 80 minutes it would be much more effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Visual, 18 July 2013
I had this on dvd and loved it. I recently bought a new television and blu ray player, and knew that I had to re-buy this, in fact this is the first blu-ray I wanted to buy and watch. It is absolutely stunning visually, which is why it doesn't matter knowing what is going to happen.

How I Ended This Summer [DVD]
How I Ended This Summer [DVD] by Aleksei Popogrebsky (DVD - 2011)