5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring
I have followed Biosphere since 1996 and this is up there as one of his best albums.

Published on 30 Jun. 2011 by Martin Davidson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but I wish it were better
Published on 8 Aug. 2011 by Mrs. Bridget Mckenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring, 30 Jun. 2011
Martin Davidson "modularcarpet" (Luton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)

It has been 5 years since he last released a studio album (Dropsonde - which was also amazing), but it's been well worth the wait. We did have a live album "Wireless", which was great to fill the void between studio albums, especially as I finally saw Biosphere live in 2009 - fabulous!

I could tell this was going to be a great album after 50 seconds into the first song. A haunting hollow melody starts up and the strange machine type sounds in the background complement each other beautifully. As another reviewer said, this does have a more sinister feel than some of Geir's earlier works, but I like my ambient with some darkness. There are a few more beats on some of the songs(Shika-1), but the overall feel is melodic. I much prefer this to Shenzhou, which was too minimalist for my tastes. I like a good haunting melody to complement the soundscape.

The best song for me, by far, is Oi-1. I have already listened to it about 8 times in 24 hours. It starts with a deep hollow bass and a beautiful hypnotic bell driven melody comes in after about 30 seconds. You get a nice splashy beat come in at 1:36 and it is just superb!

My only criticism about the album is that some of the songs could have been longer. Oi-1 could easily have been twice as long and you would still want more. You are really into the song and it just finishes. After listening to some Pete Namlook stuff lately with 16+ minute songs. 4, 5, 6 minute songs seem a bit short (to my ears at any rate).

What else can I say apart from buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Concept album about the Japanese nuclear programme..., 27 Jun. 2011
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
...recorded before the cataclysmic event on March 11 2011, released afterwards.

Geir Jenssen must nevertheless have thought very carefully about releasing this LP given the unimaginable scale of the tragedy in a country where he will, I suspect, have a good many fans. But he HAS released it, without sentimentalism, though it is of course impossible to listen to in the context in which it was originally intended.

The concept, in fact, seems to be a fairly positive one: that despite its well-known dangers, nuclear power may yet have a place in the 21st century. Whilst there is, inevitably a sinister undercurrent to much of the music on this album (there are hissing reactor noises on virtually every track) it's a much less menacing affair than Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" - an album with which comparisons will, inevitably, be drawn.

Recorded in Poland, the best way for me to describe the sound would be as a mixture of Basic Channel, Tangerine Dream, Eric Serra and Delia Derbyshire. Even without the Japanese earthquake association - which could probably have been dispensed with - this is a very strong release.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but I wish it were better, 8 Aug. 2011
Mrs. Bridget Mckenzie (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
I'm a huge Biosphere fan and have come to love and play over and over all the Biosphere I have. I was terribly excited to see there was a new one. Its ok but not as great as I had hoped and I fear unlike many of the others that grow and improve over time as I listen to them this one doesnt quite have that property. Still worth getting and hard to resist if you're a fan, just to see what he's up to now but dont expect to love it like you might some of the others...sadly.

2.0 out of 5 stars A real dip in form, 10 Oct. 2012
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
Biosphere is one of my favourite ambient artists and over the years has been consistently inventive. Substrata seems to be many people's favourite work, but it's not quite top of my Biosphere list. This brings us neatly to N-Plants, which goes straight to the bottom.

There are a couple of good tracks towards the start here, but it runs out of puff very quickly, turning into fairly basic ambient fodder, not particularly textured, and unfortunately feels very much like there's not a huge effort being put in. If you listen to 'Live at the Arnolfi', you get a real impression of what Biosphere is capable of, and just how good a musician he is, but if this was your first exposure to his work, I'm not sure you'd be back. Not that one dud amongst several fantastic albums is a cause for alarm. We'll see what comes next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and addictive....., 8 Sept. 2011
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
I have listened to Biosphere on and off since the early-mid 90s. I was not too excited about the relaease of N-Plants because I know it wil never reach the heights of 'Microgravity' and 'Patashnik'. Admittedly Mr Jenssen changed direction for Substrata and future releases. Although Substrata is generally considered one of the greatest ambient albums ever I personally preferred the former 2 releases. However that said, I was really impressed after the first 2 listens of N-Plants and continue to be so. It is certainly fascinating, addictive and strangely compelling(the concept is rather spooky and bizarre given all what happened in March in Japan).

I am a huge Jenssen fan and I would rate this release as his 3rd best under Biosphere and that is why I give it 5 stars. This was totally unexpecetd after Dropsonde(which again was pretty good)and previous not so good releases(Shenzhou and Cirque).

(The N-Plants remixes from 'The Sight Below' are also worth a listen)

All in all well chuffed......

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful! introspective!, 29 July 2011
Scooter "scooter" (Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
I've only ever dabbled with Biosphere's music on occasions but have always enjoyed it. N-Plants is a beautiful and atmospheric ambient album, with warm lush textures, strange otherworldly noises, deep bass noises......really good! It doesn't get lost in a blackhole of abstractness though - I've been listening to it on repeat all evening! An effortless yet rewarding pleasure to listen to!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Substrata, 1 May 2012
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
'Substrata' has been my favourite CD for many years now and since then I've eagerly awaited each new offering from Geir Jenssen. Sadly, not one has attained the sonic interest of Substrata.
N-Plants is no different. Well mastered and with one or two interesting ideas it isn't a bad CD - it just doesn't have the attention grabbing soundscapes or the inventive musicality of Substrata. Worth one or two plays perhaps but will probably be filed away at the back of the CD cupboard.
Oh well - there's always the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars Back To Patashnic, 25 Sept. 2011
This review is from: N-Plants (MP3 Download)
I really cannot understand some of the negative reviews this album has received. Having started listening to Geir Jenssen's creations back in the 1990's I am happy this is a return to form and a shift more towards Patashnik stylings rather than Dropsonde which I personaly found a bit too loose and off the rails. If in doubt check out the reviews for the CD format which on average come out at 4 out of 5. As some reviewers have pointed out on occasions Geir Jenssen's work takes time to grow on you, Substrata took months to grow on me but when the penny finally dropped I couldn't stop listening to it and to this date is one of my most cherished albums. I have no doubt N-Plants will be up there with it shortly.

1.0 out of 5 stars N-Pants, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: N-Plants (MP3 Download)
I really am a fan of Biosphere but N-Plants isn't the rich aural landscaping of Geir Jenssen's recent work - rather, it is a pared-down version of his Microgravity or Patashnik style - a form of music that if I didn't know better I'd think was composed before any of his other albums, using fewer sounds, less ingenuity, and not enough heart. It is more reminiscent of (but not as satisfactory as) Patashnik in its use of melody, and some might say it is just plain bland (my voice would be among them) with his usual haunting, drifting samples replaced with more of a 'pop' styling. It just doesn't have the expansive, 'soundtrack' feel that Dropsonde, Shenzhou or Substrata had. The album finally gets going by track 9, 'Fujito' - which is, sadly, the final track. I'm not at all impressed with N-Plants - but maybe it'll grow on me. Or maybe Not.

2.0 out of 5 stars what went wrong, 16 July 2011
Allan K. Osmand (Woonona, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: N-Plants (Audio CD)
Have read other reviews, also the one for Pitchfork. Come on people, this is not that good, some ideas maybe but not finished tracks.

N-Plants
N-Plants by Biosphere (Audio CD - 2011)