5.0 out of 5 stars Into the Jaws of Death, 24 Sep 2010
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
"Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous;" -- 1 Peter 3:8 (NKJV)

If you've read the prior nine books, why would you stop now? What's the fun in that? Be sure to read this book. It will provide a nice peak to your experience with the 39 clues.

I normally don't read juvenile adventure series, but I was impressed by the 39 clues concept and the first volume, The Maze of Bones. The stories originally appealed to me for their educational component, often containing a combination of The Amazing Race and perspectives on famous people. The long list of original characters gradually began to take on personalities for me that went beyond their initial two-dimensional sketches. Naturally, I was drawn to the underdog roles of Amy and Dan Cahill as they raced around the globe with only an au pair, Nellie Gomez, and a cat, Saladin, to help them. Before long the story line became more complex and nuanced, as several talented authors took turns shaping the narrative. I felt myself getting almost physically younger as I read of the various adventures.

I had been worried for some time that the final volume would have to be a disappointment. After all, lots of the mysterious elements were explained in recent volumes. There weren't many clues left to find.

Although the broad shape of what occurred in the last volume didn't include any particular shockers, the events leading up to the ending were much more exciting than I had dared hope for. In addition, there's an underlying sweetness to the way it is told that I found to be particularly heart-warming.

For those who cannot get enough, there's another book in the series coming out on October 26, The Black Book of Buried Secrets, with an introduction by Rick Riordan.

If you went beyond the books and have been competing for the prizes, that excitement continues. I well remember being a youngster and competing in such contests. Although I rarely won anything, the adventures I had along the way are many of my most cherished memories.

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 8 Nov 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Amy and Dan have an impossible task before them. They must find the last clue, which will lead them to power. However, they also must bring the family branches together to conquer the clue and conclude their mission.

They have no idea how to accomplish this. As usual, the branches of the family stand back and let Amy and Dan figure out the clues. Once the two have discovered the final resting place of the last clue, all of the family descends on the deserted island.

On the island, Amy and Dan try to impart their wisdom of working together. They fail to reach the adults, but they've already been working with several peers. When they reach their destination, they realize they need a member of each branch to continue.

Will Amy and Dan discover the final clue and understand the implications?

Greed, action, and danger each increase as the end of the hunt nears. Although it ties up the loose ends nicely, the final chapter of THE 39 CLUES leaves room open for more books in a new series coming out next year. I've thoroughly enjoyed each and every book in this series.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book series, 17 Nov 2010
I bought this origionally for my eleven year old son. He has now read all ten books and I have also read them (in a week), my 16 year old son is now reading them....and so it will continue through the family. A great read. Gripping

5.0 out of 5 stars Great plot again, 29 July 2013
This review is from: The 39 Clues Book 10: Into the Gauntlet (Kindle Edition)
Great story where you can easily lose yourself in the plot. Read on and enjoy the breathtaking excitement, which multiplies with each turning page. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series and book!, 10 Mar 2012
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Clue Hunt is drawing to a close. Amy and Dan have been given a bigger picture of what the Clue Hunt is really all about. They believe they have an impossible mission to try to reunite the families. But to do so, forgiveness and leaving the past behind will need to happen. Not just for the others, but Dan and Amy must also find forgiveness for the families responsible for their parents' death. That's a lot of pressure on two youngsters, especially as the number of unclaimed clues dwindles. This story amazes.

I was leery of reading this book as I always hate when a series ends. But then they announced the extension of this series and the spin-off series. The original concept of 10 books by 8 authors with one continuous story line was intriguing, but the execution of the series was amazing. And even though the second series is now almost half done, I can only say I hope that there are many more stories yet to come in the 39 Clues world.

The 39 Clues Book 10: Into the Gauntlet