5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book you just can't miss...........
BLURB

Most folks say, "Mother Nature controls the rain." However this is not the case in the village of Finkleton.

In the perfect little village of Finkleton, the weather is always perfect. Every farm grows the best, biggest, healthiest crops in the entire world, and everyone is happy.

Soon after the Finkles inherit their Uncle Harry's...
Published on 28 Aug 2011 by Debra's Book Cafe

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the youngest readers deserve better than this!
Three distressingly wholesome children, with lazily contrived mono-maniacal interests uncover the secret of the magical means by which the weather in Finkleton is micro-managed to suit the needs of all the local farmers.
Published 12 months ago by Mr. C. L. Bradley

1.0 out of 5 stars Even the youngest readers deserve better than this!, 31 Aug 2013
Mr. C. L. Bradley "bradlo" (Wantage, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
The idea which is charming, and probably original is squandered in the telling, which is wooden and limping. The dialogue is declaimed in a single lack-lustre voice.
How this story won awards is surely a far more interesting mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic of finkleton, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book thinking it wouldn't be very good but I raced through it and it was terrific and very magical!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this free book and I would definitely read more books by the same author in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book,full of mystery and adventure. The only thing I found bad about this book was the length. It would be alright for any one who likes fairly short books. 181 pages!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
my 6 year old loved the story. a little complicated at times but fuel for magical imagination. would read again

4.0 out of 5 stars A great children's story., 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
I liked this story as did the children I read it to. As a primary school teacher I am always on the lookout for new and different stories to read to the children in my class.
I would recommend this to readers who like a story with a lot of imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
Avery intriguing story , very well written and I enjoyed the way that this shop can control the weather and the time. I am only nine and I couldn't put this book down. It drew me into the story and it had some humour in places . It made the perfect beginning to the adventure these siblings will have. Can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Tale For Children.......And Adults, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
It has been many many years since I last read a story for children I was drawn by the cover and thought the story sounded original
So I purchased it for me as Ive always considered myself young at heart - so glad I did!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Kindle Edition)
This is a delightful tale. I felt like I was reading Enid Blyton again after all these years (though there is more fantasy here). I can't remember the last book I read in which people got excited about simple pleasures such as sweets and cakes. Makes you realise how low our values have sunk over the years.

Fortunately, the reviewers below have already done all the hard work by pointing out this book's many merits, so I needn't go on, except to say that I see the book is aimed at 9-12-year-olds. Well, I'm 49 and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think my teenage children (young adults) will do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous children's magical adventure, 14 May 2011
Sally (Melbourne, VIC Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic of Finkleton (Paperback)
At 184 pages and with a compelling storyline, The Magic of Finkleton is a very quick read - I could not put it down from start to finish, and was very sad when it ended! (Luckily, there is definitely room for a sequel!)

You know what the book reminds me of? All those [Australian] childrens' TV shows that I adored when I was younger, like Ocean Girl, Mirror, Mirror, Butterfly Island, etc - where you have these totally normal kids who just happen to find some magic, and then it's all adventurous and marvelous and they have to save the bush/their town/the world/the universe. I could totally see this all playing out so vividly in my mind, and I think I was mentally casting the three kids from Round the Twist (Jeffrey Walker era) as Robert, Jack and Lizzy. If you like Enid Blyton adventures, or the Magician's House quartet, then you will LOVE this. It fits in so neatly with that genre.

The story is absolutely charming. I loved the setting, it has that cosy historical feel to it that I just adore (Lizzy wears petticoats! They travel by horse-drawn carriage!) and that fits so well with the whole small-town British thing. Finkleton is kind of like Brigadoon, only it exists all the time; so maybe it's not like Brigadoon at all, but it has magic in it, and that magic only covers Finkleton. The weather is always perfect - for *everyone*. Everyone has precisely the right amount of rain and sunshine for their crops but, as the blurb suggests, this isn't just Mother Nature's doing.

Jack, Robert and Lizzy (and their parents, too) move to Finkleton after their Uncle Harry dies, leaving them his shop... in which there is a secret lever that can make it rain, and a whole room full of strings and hourglasses that are all set up just so... and if a string is broken, or an hourglass knocked off course, then that could spell disaster for the farm it represents! Because there's an hourglass for each farm, and a book that says how much rain each farm needs, and it's all very clever and precise, and Uncle Harry's been keeping an eye on things for years - but he dies before he can pass everything onto the kids. Luckily, they stumble across the magic and figure it out for themselves. With some hilarious results when Robert first comes across the make-it-rain lever (while Lizzy is outside)! And of course it's all up to them to fix it when things go horribly wrong.

Such a delightful adventure, with just the right dose of magic! It's fantasy in a real-world setting, the sort you can totally believe in. And best of all, the ending leaves things totally open for a sequel! Because I do indeed want more.

Jack, Lizzy and Robert are all wonderful characters, and I love how we get to know their parents a little too - that was nice, because often you don't see much of the grown-ups in these sorts of adventures. (The siblings in the Famous Five, for example? George's parents were the only ones ever present!) I had a special fondness for Robert, I must admit. :) And the town itself, even without the magic, is just lovely. It's small and sweet and old-fashioned and everything is good and wonderful and happy! It's the town you totally want to live in, only you can't because nobody ever leaves because why would they move away?! (Ooh, and therein lies the conflict part of the story, where the villainous Mr. Lowsley wants to try and buy in... and very nearly succeeds, too!)

I swear, this totally needs to be a TV series. Or, like, a real place that I can visit. :D For now, I'll just content myself with reading the book again and imagining. :D

(Review cross-posted from Goodreads.)

The Magic of Finkleton