Published on 29 July 2011 by J. R. Johnson-Rollings

3.0 out of 5 stars good story
Good book and read but too much jumping around story to story within a story. Was hard to follow the plot and easy to forget the entire story plot because too much going on but in all a good book and story
Published 13 months ago by andromedamaroo

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost up to the standard of the last two, though a little soppy in places, 29 July 2011
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the last two Voyager novels - both also by Kirsten Beyer - and have been looking forward to this one for a while. I was a tad disappointed though. Voyager is now part of a small fleet which has returned to the Delta Quadrant on a mission of exploration and diplomacy. Three starships have gone missing while attempting to make contact with a hostile alien species - the Children of the Storm - and Chakotay and his crew must try to find them.

The first thing to note is that the previous two books are prerequisite. You'll need them to know a lot of the characters and to understand the situation. I read the last one when it was released and had trouble remembering where things were, so I'd recommend refreshing your memory if you read it a while ago too.

I found the beginning of this book to be quite weak - possibly because of my poor memory of where things stood - and quite a lot of the book focusses on inter-personal relationships among the crew. There are a number of new relationships, and quite a lot of focus on Miral, the toddler of the Paris family. It seems this has been inspired by the author's own recent parenthood, and in some places it's really cute, but occasionally goes a little over the top. One particular sentence had to be the soppiest and corniest thing I've read for a long time.

Once the plot got going though it switched back to the brilliance I've come to expect from this author, and I was very pleased with her descriptions of the aliens and the crews' interactions with them. Overall the range of new characters work really well and it's a good extension to the Voyager series without feeling forced. Once again I find myself looking forward to more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm (Kindle Edition)
Quite a slow start then seems to rush to a conclusion right at the end, but overall still a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars good story, 4 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm (Kindle Edition)
This series is so captivating. Kirsten Beyer brings brings the voyager characters to life.
The extra ships and new characters add to the richness . Those readers who don't like it are very narrow minded .can't wait to download the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormy children, 9 Sep 2011
C. I. Mclean "weird wizard" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed starting to read this but as time got on I thought there was too many characters. I know they like switching from one area to another but sometimes I just wish that they stayed with one ship at a time. It finished off with the predictable result but there was an 'ahh' moment in the book, which people might enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars my opinion, 1 July 2012
I have read many of the star trek voyager books and this one is very hard to get into i have now read it but unlike most of the voyager books couldn't wait to finally finish reading it i don't think i'll be reading it again

3.0 out of 5 stars A Challenging Read, 20 Feb 2012
Kirsten Beyer is one of my favourite Star Trek authors, she knows and understands the characters well and storylines are well thought-out and believable within the Star Trek universe.

However, this particular book is rather challenging to read. Voyager is accompanied back to the Delta quadrant by 8 Starfleet vessels. Aboard these 8 ships are all new characters, with roles and backgrounds to discover.

The appendix of ships and crew members at the back of the book, detailing names, species and ranks, unfortunately does little to help the reader work through this confusing and complex book. Chapters flick between the ships and crews, with various storylines running simultaneously.

Sadly I am making slow progress, as I attempt to get to grips with who or what I am reading about every time we change location.

A very clever book I am sure, but one that I am not enjoying as much as the author's previous works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children of the storm, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant a must buy, it is as good as all the previous books in this series. You will enjoy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book to be the best one of the series so far. I love the way we are seeing the mission from different perspectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read!, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: Voyager: Children of the Storm (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this book four days ago, directly following 'Full Circle' and 'Unworthy', as I write this I've just sat it down upon completing it.

To me this was a truly compelling read, every time I reached the end of a chapter, I had no choice but to continue. Reminding myself that sleep was necessary was incredibly difficult. The characters (including those not originating in the TV series) were compelling, I felt I could see and hear them in the room with me. Whilst I loved the previous two books this one really had me pulled into their world and their plight. I had bursts of laughter and shed many tears at different stages throughout the story.

I already plan to start on the next book within the next couple of days. I'm currently unsure if it is the last in the series but, I would only say that if it's not, I hope they keep the same author for the rest of them. Kirsten Beyer has a fantastic writing style and truly has a way of bringing the characters to life.