5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, Must Buy, Tom Sharpe Comedy
Published on 8 Oct 2003 by Mr A P HILL

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well
The book started well and made me laugh aloud but became silly and a little predictable. I would try another by this author.
Published 2 months ago by elizabeth klinkert

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, Must Buy, Tom Sharpe Comedy, 8 Oct 2003
Mr A P HILL (WIGAN, LANCS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
This story is written in the typical Tom Sharpe style (ie. hillarious and surreal)but the plot seems much more plausible. Basically, it is about an aged and very old-fashioned landowner, his equally eccentric and out of touch grandson, a middle aged woman who marries the former for his money, and her dopey daughter who marries the latter. Needless to say, the mother gets far more than she bargained for (eg.living in the back end of beyond, without her usual comforts, and with an over-sexed 90 year old). The real star of the show is the grandson (aka the Throwback) who moves to surburbia with his new wife and causes laugh out loud chaos. Throughout the book mystery surrounds the parentage of the Throwback-I won't spoil it, but it's a brilliant twist, and you won't guess it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 11 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
I found The Throwback to be one of the funniest books ever drawn from the 'deranged' mind that is Tom Sharpe. The son, of who(?), is the nemisis of all that is ordered, sane and loyal. The grandfather (of who?) is as mad as a kipper. The wife....doh! The lawer, the butler, the taxidermist, the flawshounds......need I go on?
There is always a danger that his books will date, or become socially unnaceptable due to the changing values of todays readers (something which would be unfortunate and self parodying as the humour is always about challenging stupid social values).
However, The Throwback is self contained, without time and a joy to behold. Anyone not offended, or who doesn't laugh out loud at the same time, isn't reading it properly

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Sharpe - The throwback, 24 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
I first read this book many years ago, and continue to re-visit it to this day - it is the funniest novel I have ever read.
The first time I read the chapter about the old army colonel & the french letter I was sitting on the train travelling home, and got very odd looks from my fellow commuters - you cannot help but laugh out loud at the absurd but plausible scene that unfolds in the Colonels bedroom.
On lending the book to family members & friends, it has never returned, causing me to be on my 8th or 9th copy - it is that popular.
I don't think anything Tom Sharpe has done before or since live up to the quality of this book - although some come close.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best from the UK's funniest contemporary writer, 7 May 2005
D. A. Williams "twigletlover" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
All I can say is that the scene where one of the neighbours attempts to remove his condom had me in pain from laughing so much.
Tom Sharpe is so funny he's off the scale, and this book is far and away the best.
Read it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your sides will split with laughter, 11 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
This is the first Tom Sharpe book i have read after being told how funny it was. A little scepticle i began to read it, until the point came where it was impossible to put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Sharpe, 19 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Throwback (Audio Cassette)
This book sums up Tom Sharpe. It is a fast, frantic and hillariously funny farce. The characters are humerously introduced (and in the course of the book removed in highly amusing ways) and the plot is gorgeously ridiculous. Complying with true Sharpe form this book is quite the most absurd piece of comedy you are likely to come accross and will leave you not only crying with mirth, but snorting with laughter, chortling with glee, and begging for more. Vintage Sharpe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 8 Mar 2008
P. Costello "Tippman24" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time on a train journey. I think the people in the place thought I was gone mad I laughed so much. When I came home, I gave the book to my late father who must have read it every year until his death, he actually broke the spine of the book. I consider the scene when the doctor asks him about Lockhart his sexual relations with his wife the funniest I have ever read. Buy the Book and weap!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, Very funny Buy it!, 10 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
This is his best. If you read on the tube or bus you'll get a lot of stares as you try, in vain, not to laugh out loud. Go buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom is sharp!!, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Throwback (Kindle Edition)
I laughed until I woke the wife up so many times that she left the bed room to sleep in the lounge.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Funniest Book I Have Ever Read., 6 Feb 2012
Guanabat (Burntwood, Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Throwback (Paperback)
I love Tom Sharpes work, but none have I ever found reducing me to helpless laughter as The Throwback, as Lockhart Flawse sets out to regain his inheritance. Nothing is funnier than the night He wreaks havoc on his peppercorn tenants, but there is so much more to enjoy here. Due to read for the fifth time, I just can't believe anyone can read this without weeping, tears of hilarity. A joy.

The Throwback