5.0 out of 5 stars A Soleplate that doesn't leave marks - great product.
I've got one of these, it was a gift from my mum as hers was so good,
now I'm buying another one to replace it as it was excellent.

All other irons seem to get marks on the soleplate after a few goes,
it is annoying as I have to rub hard on the plate to remove the marks otherwise when I iron
white shirts they leave the burnt marks on them,...
Published on 8 Sep 2011 by Sylvia

Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Jewel

5.0 out of 5 stars A Soleplate that doesn't leave marks - great product., 8 Sep 2011
Sylvia (Wales, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GC2930/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2200 Watt, Purple (Kitchen & Home)
I've got one of these, it was a gift from my mum as hers was so good,
now I'm buying another one to replace it as it was excellent.

All other irons seem to get marks on the soleplate after a few goes,
white shirts they leave the burnt marks on them, usually on the collars.

This iron I had for over a year, used it every day and it never once
had a mark on the soleplate.

I never cleaned it which is probably why the spray gave up.
I'm about to buy another one - this time I'll clean it occassionaly
as I know it will last.

Me and my mum actually had a 20 min phone converstation about how good this iron is.
If that isn't a good advert I don't know what is?...lol

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and glides easily but can be awkward to set temperature., 30 Jan 2012
I bought this iron to replace my Tefal Turbo Pro 450. I chose it based on design (I like my appliances to look good), price and the customer reviews. I only iron for about 2 hours a week so this suits my needs. It is smaller and lighter than my previous iron but it glides really well and does a good job. The flex length is about 55 cms shorter than my last iron at about 244 cms. It is fine for me but if you iron a long way from your socket it might make a difference. It does not come with a water jug but the hole is quite large and you are probably meant to fill it direct from the tap. I kept my old jug though as I prefer to use this. I like the idea of two steam settings and also the calc clean slider as I live in a hard water area. My main gripe is the temperature gauge which is the traditional round dial. My last one was a slider so I could see at a glance where it was and move it up or down easily as needed. I can't read this one without my reading glasses so don't know where it is set as all settings look the same. I also find it a little awkward to twist as it is beneath the handle. I don't have problems with my hands but if you suffer from arthritis you might want to try one out before you buy it. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a sliding temperature gauge and a longer flex as otherwise it performs very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, 16 Aug 2011
Really pleased with this purchase. The iron just slides over the clothes making ironing so much quicker and easlier. So immpressed I have now bought one for my father. Ironing is no longer such a chore, although I would still rather not have any ironing at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Steam Iron, 18 Aug 2012
Agree with all the 5 star reviews, brilliant iron for the money, probably the best one I have ever bought in the £40- £50 range. Really pleased I bought it and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iron, with updated review., 7 April 2012
This is only the second iron that we've bought in 30 years of marriage, so it's not something we have a great deal of experience in; buying irons that is not ironing! We bought the Philips iron as it was the Best Buy in the Which ratings. The only question I have is "why did we wait so long to buy a new iron?" This iron is absolutely fantastic! It is so quick, so efficient, and the results are brilliant. I have to admit, I'm a bit fastidious when it comes to ironing, I have been known to iron a shirt twice, once to put it in the wardrobe, and then again before I wear it! The Philips iron produces crisp, perfectly ironed shirts every time. Even hard to iron things like thick jeans and pure cotton sheets that have been left in the airing cupboard for a few weeks, and so are really dry and screwed up, with the steam pumping out, the iron just glides over the surface, leaving behind this perfect finish. Now all I need it to do is last for the next 30 years!
08/06/2013 - Update, I originally only gave the iron four stars, but have now given it five. The iron is still performing perfectly over a year after we bought it, still the same efficient production of steam and so the same results. Only 29 years to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Iron!, 22 Aug 2012
This is another Which? Best Buy. I was used to a cordless iron but these aren't available in the UK (come on, manufacturers, get that market segment sewn up!) so I really wanted an iron which would keep the cord out of the way and, since I unfortunately have to do all the ironing for my family, make the task easier and less unenjoyable.

This one is very good, irons well and no creases are too much for it. The iron decalc cleaning is a little tiresome and time consuming (the instructions suggest you do it every 2 weeks, but maybe all irons nowadays say the same thing) but the quality of the iron makes up for it. It isn't as lightweight as some other irons I've tried but it feels a solid build. I doesn't come with a plastic jug to fill it but it fills directly from a tap quite easily.

Ironing is still a chore, but made easier with this iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything an iron should be, 11 Sep 2011
John Williams (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've not had this iron very long, so can't comment on how it will stand up to long-term use, but so far it's great. Light, stylish, and glides over all fabrics. Steam is easy to control. Can't say much else really; it's just a good iron. I'd complain about the lack of an 'off' switch, but no irons seem to have them. Wonder why that is?

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam on!, 19 Oct 2012
Philips GC2930/02 PowerLife Steam Iron 2200W purchased from Amazon.
This iron is everything I read in previous Amazon reviews, which prompted me to buy it. The tank capacity is more than double my previous iron, so refills are less frequent. It glides easily over the fabrics and the thin sole plate is great under shirt buttons. Highly recommend this iron to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips GC2930/02 Steam Iron, 16 Mar 2012
I bought this iron to replace an earlier model which had given many years service. This new one appears at the moment to be of equal if not better quality than the original and excellent value for the money.
The surface finish of the bottom is far superior to the stainless steel type of other makes. No problem in reccomending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 16 Jun 2013
Smashing iron for a good price and just as Which? said it would be! Buy it before they bring out a more expensive replacement!

Philips GC2930/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2200 Watt, Purple