4.0 out of 5 stars If you must iron.....
Published on 10 July 2012 by H. M. Hobbs

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good points, a few not so good
Published 17 months ago by Listener 1

4.0 out of 5 stars If you must iron....., 10 July 2012
H. M. Hobbs (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue (Kitchen & Home)
Well, I've had all sorts of irons over the last few years. Steam generator irons are my favourite, however after having to return 3, yes 3 of these irons to Argos I decided the best thing to do would be to buy a normal run of the mill steam iron and just get on with it. So here it is, my Philips PowerLife Steam iron is fabulous. Obviously the steam doesn't ram out of the iron and flatten everything in sight but it has a fairly decent steam output, it doesn't get clogged up with limescale too much and it's a great size. It also has a really decent water tank. For the money I would recommend this to anyone. Obviously ironing is the bottom of my list of 'things I love doing' but if you must iron.... this does the job nicely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value steam iron, 27 July 2011
A. Woodfine (North Wales) - See all my reviews
We bought this to replace one of a different brand which was twice the price but stopped working, irreparably, after two years and approximately ten uses.

Good points: very smooth, lightweight/comfortable to use, straightforward controls. Very natty cable fitting making it easy to be used by either left or right handed persons. Good capacity water tank. Long cable.

Bad points: none found so far

5.0 out of 5 stars great little iron, 16 Mar 2012
I really hope that this iron lasts, because it is really good. The tank is easy to fill and the steam lasts for ages, but the best thing is the groove for getting between buttons. This is the best one I have had for nipping round the blighters, and I have had a few irons in my 44 years of marriage! I am going to try not to drop this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good points, a few not so good, 21 Mar 2013
This iron has a great cord length and heats up quickly. The water reservoir is the easiest to fill I have seen yet, with an easy access good sized filler hole. Steam output is very good and has two settings plus off. The downsides are that it is a little heavy (a matter of personal preference - some would say that makes it easier to iron with), but what I really don't like is that the sole plate has a tendency to exacerbate static problems, so that even pure cotton garments like shirts will 'stick' to the soleplate, making smooth, continuous ironing difficult. Others have said the soleplate sticks horribly if spray starch is used - I haven't tried it, but I can believe it. So.........soleplate issues, otherwise very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great iron at a good price, 5 Sep 2011
I've liked this iron from the first time I used it. It is light and heats up pretty quickly. It is easy to switch between the steam settings and is very easy to fill with water and you can see the water level clearly. If it had an auto-switch off it would be perfect but then it would have probably cost more. I'm very pleased with this iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillips GC2910/02 powerlife iron, 12 Jan 2012
Have found this inexpensive iron simple to use, efficient, not too heavy but makes light work of all the cotton items including bedding. As with all steam irons just have to remember to keep topping up the water - not a big deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iron ever, 26 Jun 2012
John Duckett (Milton Keynes, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This proved to be an elightened purchase for my elderly mother who wanted a light and easy to use iron. It is very light and could not be easier to use. It's easy to fill the water resevoir which has plenty of capacity and the performance using steam is excellent. Also, this iron is great value for money. My wife tried it and it was so good that we've ordered another for our own use!

4.0 out of 5 stars good value iron, 15 Oct 2012
I bought this iron to replace a Tefal Aquaspeed, which broke after seven years' use. The Philips iron is a bit lighter and also smaller than my old iron, which makes it easier to use on clothing. This iron does not create as much steam as my previous one, which isn't a problem on most clothing, but when ironing 100% cotton sheets and duvet covers it does struggle a bit and I need to use the steam boost button. Aside from this I think the iron works well, the water reservoir is large enough, it's easy to use and it's good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing, 19 Feb 2012
Sooooooooooo much better than my previous iron. It just glides through the clothes just so much faster and better. The steam function works perfectly well leaving behind no creases.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 24 April 2012
This iron is good value for the price i chose this iron over another as the lead was longer the only thing i would say is the water tank does need filling more often than my old one however it is a good iron overall plenty of steam and light to handle