on 30 November 2011
This is a great book. Simple and easy to read, which is in itself 'Calming'. This is a book that is ideal as a gift, especially at this time of year - Xmas, taking the stress out of what to buy people. Every bookshelf should have a copy! It is full of useful tips and importantly gets the reader to think about things differently.
on 22 November 2011
Just the ticket when suffering from spiritual malaise, 'The Brilliant Book of Calm' is written with the down-to-earth warmth of a best friend. Filled with inspiring quotes and anecdotes, it offers a wealth of innovative yet practical techniques for the mentally mashed. Easily digestible format. Loved it.
on 23 November 2011
As someone who occasionally kicks slow-moving/trolly-carrying/annoying people on tube platforms and pretends it was an accident, I didn't expect to be instantly chilled out when I received this book for Christmas last year. I was wrong. Beautifully written, Tania Ahsan's lyrical prose soothes while she dispenses helpful tips that work in real life situations. And if all else fails, then at a hefty 20 x 16cm, it's a handy weapon to beat offensive fellow commuters with.
on 25 November 2011
Even if you're not looking to follow advice, Tania's witty language is mighty engaging (also downright funny) in a way that has the wise words seeping in and making you relaxed enough to probably, actually do some easing towards calm in your life.

Charlotte Watts, co-author of The De-Stress DietThe De-stress Diet: The Revolutionary Lifestyle Plan for a Calmer, Slimmer You
on 16 January 2012
The brilliant book of calm: Down to Earth Ideas for Finding Inner Peace in a Chaotic World (52 Brilliant Ideas)

Usually I steer clear of books that start with adjectives extolling the virtues or excellence of the contents within. Maybe I should have kept to my usual practice. I didn't find the book outstandingly talented or for that matter intelligent in its content. However it was a showy little number that is worthy of a read; if for nothing else other than some of the motivational quotes sandwiched between the real detail and the problem page Q&A section at the end of each chapter.

Having said all that there is a good presentational approach which allows the reader to dip in and out of the book as one would do at a picnic. There are 52 chapters, each headed up with quirky but relevant headings. The chapters are not too long which allows for short sharp bursts of motivation to be digested in bite size chunks. Each of these short chapters is sliced up into four sections:

1) the meat of the subject or the how to motivate oneself. There is some good advice in these short pieces and it is written in a jaunty fashion that is easy to follow along. The way this is written lends itself well to the pick up and put down approach of the coffee break reader.
2) The 'here's an idea for you' or exercise for the reader to test the resolve. It would not be a motivational book if there was no follow up exercises and one must expect to be doing as well as reading.
3) The 'defining idea' or the quote of the chapter that one can scribble down and nibble on for a while. I found these useful for self-reflection and even wrote a couple of them down to 'post-it note' it above my desk. A little reminder for the day.
4) And lastly the 'how did it go' section which reads more like a magazine problem page. This is the part I gave up on because I am just not into other people's questions and answers from the expert.

In total there are 52 chapters and maybe it is written as such that it can be read, practised and reflected upon over a year using one chapter a week. I am not sure I could keep to that pace; I might fall asleep before the end of the year. I did give out on the Q&A sections before the half-way mark so that cut down my reading time. Towards the end I noticed the chapters were getting less meaty so maybe even the author was slowing down too. However, it is worth a read and does have some good tips, ideas and quotes. On the whole it is just another motivational book that sparkles a little above others but nothing to sing home about. I feel this book lies somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star rating. The reason I rate it 3 stars is because I felt inclined to skip the Q&A sections after a while. Good little book though for dipping in and out off and easy to read.
on 7 December 2011
I was gifted this book, and have spent several sessions browsing it with my daughter for useful advice. We've found simple solutions that are bang up to date, and have had a good laugh in the process. It is less stuffy and righteous than some other publications of this kind, whilst presenting a wide range of real-life situations with practical solutions. There are words of wisdom here that resonate with a wonderful simplicity, and it's beautifully written too.
on 19 November 2011
I was given this book as a gift when it first came out. I have subsequently bought it for 15 friends and will buy more as gifts this year...we all need a bit of sanity especially over Chritmas and this book will do just that. I love this book!
on 18 November 2011
The easy to read nature of this book, and the good advice that it contains; make it an ideal gift for anyone you know, who needs to chill out, now and again ;-)
on 18 November 2011
This book was given to me as a present two years ago, and I was soon immersed in the loving envelopment of its zen-like embrace, which has since soothed me on many a stressful day. When fate throws me a curve ball, I simply reach for this advisory tome and suddenly the day stops being Night of the Living Dead and becomes altogether more like The Sound of Music, but with fewer singing nuns. When the dog bites, when the bee stings, I simply remember the dulcet passages of Ahsan's wise words and then I don't feel so bad.
on 24 January 2012
Being a natural cynic, I eyed this title suspiciously when I received it as a gift. After all, it proclaimed itself to be `brilliant' and I was determined to find it not so. But I was wrong and after reading just a few pages, I realised that just reading Ahsan's authorial voice itself was having a calming effect, my breathing went from short and shallow to deep and rhythmical and I felt - well - calmer, actually. There was nothing too earnest to raise the hackles that is the bane of so many self-help books, quite the opposite in fact, there were a lot of chuckles of recognition which is always a reassuring thing. It even worked its calming effect on a bus packed full of screaming school kids and that's a brilliant result for any book.