5.0 out of 5 stars Great Xmas Gift Idea
This is a great book. Simple and easy to read, which is in itself 'Calming'. This is a book that is ideal as a gift, especially at this time of year - Xmas, taking the stress out of what to buy people. Every bookshelf should have a copy! It is full of useful tips and importantly gets the reader to think about things differently.
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by Sangeeta Haindl

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as 'Brilliant' as hoped for but....
The brilliant book of calm: Down to Earth Ideas for Finding Inner Peace in a Chaotic World (52 Brilliant Ideas)

Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Ainetheon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Xmas Gift Idea, 30 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual malaise? Here's the antidote, 22 Nov 2011
Just the ticket when suffering from spiritual malaise, 'The Brilliant Book of Calm' is written with the down-to-earth warmth of a best friend. Filled with inspiring quotes and anecdotes, it offers a wealth of innovative yet practical techniques for the mentally mashed. Easily digestible format. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep calm and carry on reading this fabulous book, 23 Nov 2011
As someone who occasionally kicks slow-moving/trolly-carrying/annoying people on tube platforms and pretends it was an accident, I didn't expect to be instantly chilled out when I received this book for Christmas last year. I was wrong. Beautifully written, Tania Ahsan's lyrical prose soothes while she dispenses helpful tips that work in real life situations. And if all else fails, then at a hefty 20 x 16cm, it's a handy weapon to beat offensive fellow commuters with.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes calm seem like something normal people can attain..., 25 Nov 2011
Ms C. Watts - See all my reviews
Even if you're not looking to follow advice, Tania's witty language is mighty engaging (also downright funny) in a way that has the wise words seeping in and making you relaxed enough to probably, actually do some easing towards calm in your life.

Charlotte Watts, co-author of The De-Stress DietThe De-stress Diet: The Revolutionary Lifestyle Plan for a Calmer, Slimmer You

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise words for the modern calm seeker, 7 Dec 2011
Julie Shackson "Julie Shackson" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
I was gifted this book, and have spent several sessions browsing it with my daughter for useful advice. We've found simple solutions that are bang up to date, and have had a good laugh in the process. It is less stuffy and righteous than some other publications of this kind, whilst presenting a wide range of real-life situations with practical solutions. There are words of wisdom here that resonate with a wonderful simplicity, and it's beautifully written too.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best calming influence ever, 19 Nov 2011
Adele Nozedar "adele, torpantau" (Merthyr Tydfil, Mid Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was given this book as a gift when it first came out. I have subsequently bought it for 15 friends and will buy more as gifts this year...we all need a bit of sanity especially over Chritmas and this book will do just that. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great xmas pressie, 18 Nov 2011
Nice little book filled with good ideas for inducing a calm restful state - perfect for when it all kicks off at christmas! In these troubled times what better gift for someone you love than the gift of stress-free peaceful living!
Ross Heaven, author of The Hummingbird's Journey to God and The Sin Eater's Last Confessions

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brilliant Present, 18 Nov 2011
The easy to read nature of this book, and the good advice that it contains; make it an ideal gift for anyone you know, who needs to chill out, now and again ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as 'Brilliant' as hoped for but...., 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Brilliant book of calm (52 Brilliant Ideas) (Kindle Edition)

Usually I steer clear of books that start with adjectives extolling the virtues or excellence of the contents within. Maybe I should have kept to my usual practice. I didn't find the book outstandingly talented or for that matter intelligent in its content. However it was a showy little number that is worthy of a read; if for nothing else other than some of the motivational quotes sandwiched between the real detail and the problem page Q&A section at the end of each chapter.

Having said all that there is a good presentational approach which allows the reader to dip in and out of the book as one would do at a picnic. There are 52 chapters, each headed up with quirky but relevant headings. The chapters are not too long which allows for short sharp bursts of motivation to be digested in bite size chunks. Each of these short chapters is sliced up into four sections:

1) the meat of the subject or the how to motivate oneself. There is some good advice in these short pieces and it is written in a jaunty fashion that is easy to follow along. The way this is written lends itself well to the pick up and put down approach of the coffee break reader.
2) The 'here's an idea for you' or exercise for the reader to test the resolve. It would not be a motivational book if there was no follow up exercises and one must expect to be doing as well as reading.
3) The 'defining idea' or the quote of the chapter that one can scribble down and nibble on for a while. I found these useful for self-reflection and even wrote a couple of them down to 'post-it note' it above my desk. A little reminder for the day.
4) And lastly the 'how did it go' section which reads more like a magazine problem page. This is the part I gave up on because I am just not into other people's questions and answers from the expert.

In total there are 52 chapters and maybe it is written as such that it can be read, practised and reflected upon over a year using one chapter a week. I am not sure I could keep to that pace; I might fall asleep before the end of the year. I did give out on the Q&A sections before the half-way mark so that cut down my reading time. Towards the end I noticed the chapters were getting less meaty so maybe even the author was slowing down too. However, it is worth a read and does have some good tips, ideas and quotes. On the whole it is just another motivational book that sparkles a little above others but nothing to sing home about. I feel this book lies somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star rating. The reason I rate it 3 stars is because I felt inclined to skip the Q&A sections after a while. Good little book though for dipping in and out off and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zen-like loveliness, 18 Nov 2011
Ms. S. L. Warwick "Zelda P" (London) - See all my reviews
This book was given to me as a present two years ago, and I was soon immersed in the loving envelopment of its zen-like embrace, which has since soothed me on many a stressful day. When fate throws me a curve ball, I simply reach for this advisory tome and suddenly the day stops being Night of the Living Dead and becomes altogether more like The Sound of Music, but with fewer singing nuns. When the dog bites, when the bee stings, I simply remember the dulcet passages of Ahsan's wise words and then I don't feel so bad.