Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 29 March 2015
I didn't have any expectations for this film, so I wasn't particularly disappointed by it, neither was I overly impressed either.

This is basically the story of a married couple who are tempted to stray from their marital vows, and end up
seeking pleasure in the company of others. We see the happily married couple in their lovely apartment, looking relaxed and content, and it is not until the husband announces he is going on a trip out of town, that we are introduced to their alternative partners.

For me I just didn't feel I had a reason to care what the main protagonists did, the pace was too slow and I didn't feel very sympathetic to either of the central characters. I did like Guillaume Canet as the possible boyfriend for Keira Knightley's character. He seemed to be only person I could really feel any thing for, he seemed visibly moved by his encounter, and he acted in a gentlemanly way, and was definitely a more likeable partner for the Keira Knightley character.

Overall, I just couldn't invest emotionally in the storyline, and felt like I wish it had been a bit more complicated by adding some subplots maybe. I have to say everyone looked very good, and it was beautifully filmed. The actors looked every inch the movie stars they are, but ultimately the style did not compensate for the lack of content here.
on 28 November 2014
Kiera Knightly at her best. Very thoughtful movie. Eva Mendes was really good as the flirtatious temptress playing the victim. I thought this film is a really good study on temptation in any relationship and the subtle emotions and not so subtle as well.
on 6 August 2011
It's a national sport to dismiss Keira Knightley as a talentless pretty face (particularly in the UK.) Her acting range is limited but in the right role she is way better than her critics care to admit. The girl is a true 'movie star' - the camera just LOVES that face - and in 'Last Night' we movie star Keira and Keira the actress at their best.

'Last Night' is a slight tale of a seemingly happy 20-something married couple tempted by infidelity over the course of a single night. He (Sam Worthington) by work colleague Laura (Eva Mendes) and she (Keira Knightley) by old flame Alex(gorgeous Guillaume Canet). It's a modern, very `cool' and sober take on the eternal themes of lust, lost love, fulfilment, loyalty, trust and choices. Both are pursued and both are tempted but who will give in?

Perhaps in the current climate of global economic crisis, war and revolutions the angst of fairly well-heeled and `beautiful' people may seem a tad too trivial for some. This might explain the film's poor performance in the USA. The film doesn't trivialise though - that's the point. Neither does it moralise. Unexpectedly (for me anyway) it makes you think. In addition it looks gorgeous and captures the essence of a particular kind of city living perfectly. All the acting, from a credible international cast (no fake US accents here) is believable. Mind you, the on-screen chemistry between Keira Knightley and Guillaume Canet is so "hot" that you are left wondering why on earth she ended up with the dull guy. In this context the casting of Sam Worthington is perhaps a weakness in an otherwise interesting film.
on 5 May 2015
An intimate and very worthwhile film from Iranian writer-director Massy Tadjedin (who wrote the adapted screenplay for 'The Jacket', which also stars Knightley) about relationships, jealousy and infidelity. The film revolves around Michael (Worthington) and Joanna (Knightley), a couple who have been married for around four years, and who went out for a while before that, in a period in which they separated and got back together again. They are moving along in their lives together until Joanna meets Laura (Mendes), an extremely attractive work colleague whom Michael never mentioned. When Joanna and Michael attend a party with Michael's colleagues Joanna is distressed to see how Laura clearly finds him attractive and vice versa. When Michael goes away on a business trip to Philadelphia with Laura, Joanna bumps into Alex (played by the actor, film director and screenwriter Guillaume Canet), a previous French flame of hers who just happens to be in town. What a coincidence one might say!
The majority of the action takes place over that one long night and becomes a will-they-or-won’t-they 'suspense'.
This is a very interesting dialogue based film aimed at grownups that addresses the issue of monogamy. Knightley is beautiful in every sense of the word and the rest of the actors and actresses are effective too. Peter Deming’s cinematography is stunning and highly atmospheric - the film was shot during late 2008 in New York, with large portions filmed in SoHo, Manhattan. Long-time Darren Aronofksy collaborator and musical genius Clint Mansell contributes a deep and sonorous score.
I wasn't too sure how I would receive this film and I must admit I put off watching it on a number occasions. I thought it might bore me but I was very wrong. It's very reminiscent of European cinema and I was quite taken aback by how much it actually touched me.
Last Night is a thought provoking modest film that I highly recommend.
on 24 July 2011
My review posted online after watching it at the cinema:

This film is beautiful. Set in America, but with an international cast, Last Night provides a gripping insight into the relationship of a married couple who even at the end of the film, don't really seem to have any major problems with their relationship, yet both end up cheating on the other, to varying extents.

Not only is the cinematography beautiful, but so is the cast, the script and the performance. Subtle movements of the body, the slight quiver of the lip, the deep, held breaths; it was a pure, heart-breaking joy.

I must confess, the reason I chose this film over the other was for Keira Knightley. She is a guilty pleasure of mine and I think that this film is an example of some of her best acting. Her voicing was brilliant; not the usual well bred English accent, but something much more vulnerable. Sam Worthington, who I admit I had to look up, was splendid- a far cry from `Avatar'. He playedKnightley's Australian husband who is away on business for most of the film; a wonderful stereotype played rather freshly. Eva Mendes did a great job, though despite the scene where her character is softened in the pool, I did feel she was, well, a bitch. Most of my praise must go to Guillaume Canet, who playedKnightly's old French flame. His acting was superb; gentle, soft touches, the right amount of passion: the way he held his emotions were award winning. It was surprising for me to discover how the same basic acts can conjure different emotions within, with Canet's role generating sympathy to balance Mendes'sdislike.

This film whilst not a complete tear-jerker, did give me the ol' wet-eye. Heart-breaking yet somehow satisfying, right until the abrupt end.

I'm am shocked at the lack of attention this film has received and shocked at the meagre 6.6 on IMDB. I can't wait to watch this again with friends, or even by myself with a massive tub of ice-cream with servings of self-pity on a winter evening. I would recommend this highly for the acting, direction, and the simple beauty of it all.
on 14 November 2011
In this brilliant indie film set in New York the charcters played by Kiera Knightley,Sam Worthington, Eva Mendes and Guillaume Canet explore the concepts of love, temptation, infidelity and marriage. It's an incredibly authentic and at times painful examination of the issues and the actors are brilliant. I would highly recommend this film to anyone.
on 2 November 2015
This film tells the story of a young married couple living in New York. On the surface it looks like they have a perfect relationship but when they spend a night apart the problems in their marriage become obvious. This is a well told story and really delves into aspects of their relationship that I could identify with. The conclusion is also not the normal Hollywood happy ending and leaves a bit of room for interpretation of what will happen next.

I don't normally like Keira Knightly but she was actually very good in this film - the best I have ever seen her!

However, I did feel this film dragged and became a little repetitive and I was getting to the stage where I was willing it to end so whilst it was a good and interesting story I found the pace a little slow.
on 14 September 2013
It is a haunting movie that stays with you. I am nicely surprised.
The actors are brilliant. I would highly recommend this film. I would like much more such wonderful films.
on 16 November 2014
This movie nearly lost my attention several times throughout its duration .
The dialogue was very stilted , and i just didn't feel any empathy or connection with any of the characters.
I do like Keira Knightly , she brings slight light to this dark movie , but to be honest , i found this banal and depressing .
On the plus side i think it did show some of the struggles that couples face with fidelity , but it was overly arty , overly dark and tried to hard to be like a french movie - all cigarettes and quivering lips .
Forgettable .
on 3 October 2015
Loved it!
It may be it will not be appreciated by everyone. It is a slow movie, don't expect any action from it. The aim of the film is mainly to explore human feelings and it works, quite nicely.
If you're expect a film full of action and suspense or a big cheesy finale, you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting an exploration of how love can be tempted and tempting, a journey between the exploration of physical and mental infidelity, that's the film.

Enjoy!