Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£15.75

on 12 June 2011
Thief is a great book about a family named the Henson's. They move to Tarwich-a country side village-away from the loud noises of cars and and street life in London. Lydia Henson struggles to settle in with the new environment but can't seeing as she lost her new BFF Frankie and is blamed for steeling the Sports cup from her new school, even though she is not guilty. When Lydia runs away from home, she is caught and thrown into the future. When she finds out about the future village of Tarwich, she meets people-some recognisable-others completely new. As new rules are made, Lydia seems more confused and cannot believe what has happened to her home. When something unbelieveable happens, Lydia finds herself in danger and needs to get home. The future is in her hands, and will Lyddy be able to change the future for the best? You'll have to find out...

Fantastic book, one of Malorie's best! Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
on 23 May 2016
Introduction

Lydia's last thought before darkness closed over her mind was the strange, swirling storm had trapped her. Would it ever let her go?
Thief is a very exciting book by the award-winning author Malorie Blackman. The genre of this book is Realistic Fiction but if you don't like Realistic Fiction, it also turns to Science Fiction.

Plot and Character

The plot of this story is about Lydia being accused of being a thief by a cruel girl called Anne. There are many different characters: Lydia-the kind one, Anne-a bully, Daniel-funny, kind and Fran-serious, kind girl.

Theme

The themes for this book are friendship and accusation. Friend is a theme because Lydia tries to make some at Collivale School but struggles. Should she do the wrong thing to make friends? Accusation is a theme because Lydia got accused of being a thief and life becomes miserable.

Opinion

I really like it. It was such a surprise about the storm. My favourite bit was chapter 11 and 12. Lydia finds out more about the cruel Tyrant...

Details:
Ages: 8-16
Year: 5-9
Genre: Sci-Fi/Realistic Fiction

Review by Aidan, Year Five
on 16 November 2007
My 9yo son borrowed this book from his school library and I read it with him. But then I found it so gripping that I wanted more than just our father-and-son reading sessions with this book. I took it away and read it all to myself - and once I'd started, I couldn't put it down.

This is a superb book - accessible and not too challenging to read, but more gripping than any Harry Potter tome. On one level, it's a simple adventure story about a girl who wants to prove she's innocent of a crime she's been accused of. On another level, it's about the challenges of growing up and being accepted. And it's about so much more than that as well...

To put it simply, Malorie Blackman shows with this book that she is an author who really and truly understands her readers, and is able to give them what they want - a bit of real-life drama, the kind that any teenage school pupil can relate to; plus a nerve-jangling adventure, and a bit of psychology, showing how over-reacting to any bad situation will only make matters worse, with potentially catastrophic results...

All in all, a wonderful book that I can't recommend highly enough.
on 2 May 2014
I really couldn't put this book down! It was amazing! I would definitely recommend this book to younger kids who enjoy reading.
on 28 July 2013
An excellent book. Very exciting. I read it in 1 day and I'm 12. You always want to carry on to see what's going to happen.
on 17 June 2014
This book is so engaging! Every word makes you read on! I would definitely recommend this to anyone that I meet.
on 12 August 2013
Thief is one of the most interesting and thrilling books I have ever read. I don't wan to give away too much, but it is based around the main character Lydia, who has moved away from her home in London, and is desperate to fit in. The story carries on and Lydia is accused of something she hasn't done. From there, everything begins to go downhill for her, and eventually she decides it would all be better if she ran away. Then story takes a sharp twist that I'm not going to tell you about, you'll have to read the book to find out...

Thief! has an absolutely amazing storyline, and it had me gripped from the first chapter. It is full of suspense, cliffhangers and thrilling storylines. The twist in the middle of the story is totally unexpected, but really brilliant at the same time. 5/5, absolutely amazing book, would and will read it again and again.
on 25 June 2013
We began reading this at school, but we only read the first few chapters. Then I was dying to see what happened next, so I got it on kindle.

In this story, a girl is accused of theft and then bullied for it. She is distraught, but then things get worse... I won't give away any more!

This book, though it is confusing at points, is an amazing read. It is a really stunning book!

I would reccomend it for anyone age 10 and over.

Malorie Blackman is a truly inspirational author, and a great one too!

It isn't a waste of money, put your hand in your pocket for this one.
on 16 February 2014
it was amazing

I loved it so much I couldn't put it down
highly recommended for any age girls or boys
on 24 March 2007
This is a story of how one girl Lydia,was deamonised and framed because of jealousy and spite.It is a gripping book and I would reccomend it to anyone who likes reading or dectective novels.I think the blurb is a bit misleading though.Lydia is a 12 year old girl who has moved from London to a town called Tarwich.She is then framed by the villain of the novel Anne Turner for stealing the Collivale cup.

Beware the end is quite mind boggling and although it is cliched it is quite surprising how Lydia finally wins the battle to prove she is innocent.