Format: Audio CD|Change

To help people decide if these are the versions for you I thought the track listing would be helpful.
If you use this in conjuction with the reviews you're on to a winner.

However I've notice the price of this collection has shot up to over 28 GBP from Amazon at the time of writing.
I simply have no idea why this is the case.
It makes the prices from the alternative sellers an absolute bargain.
My advice is don'y hesitate when they are at that low price.

DISC ONE:

21 Nobody's Heart 2:20
22 The Exciting Life 2:31
23 That Old Feeling 2:29
24 Cloudy Morning 2:13
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2011
"Torch" singing at its` very best ! Julie London in fine husky voice smoulders through this fantastic collection of 50`s albums. All tracks have been remastered, but there are slight imperfections at times (which did not spoil my enjoyment). They are all quality songs, accompanied by stellar musicians, with sparse warm arrangements.
Amazing value, with 4 cds each containing two complete albums. No "big band" sound yet (that would come later in the 60`s), these are small group,intimate sessions. Leaflet has basic song/date details and not much else, but overall this is a top quality box set of an underrated singer in fine form.......wonderful !
on 19 November 2012
8 Classic Albums
Firstly, a Message to Mr Glenn Cook, compiler of the track listings.
Sorry to see that you actually received negative comments after all your hard work compiling lists for the "8 Classic Album" series, I have certainly found your lists very helpful, especially as I like to check all the track listings before I buy.
I believe that your personal remit is to impart useful information as opposed to offering a review. To criticise your effort this way, I feel, is a tad pedantic, but I will put in my two penneth of review, for what it's worth (2p?).
8 Classic Albums
I have purchased a few of this series, and the reproduction varies greatly. I already have the great Julie London standard "Cry Me a River" on other CDs, and they sound brilliant, but on this set, it sounds awful, seemingly recorded from an old 78 rpm record, with all the usual inherent aspects, noise to noise, scratches, pops, clicks and the ever present amplification of the hissing produced by the friction created between steel needle and shellac surface. The tracks on the first 2 CDs in this set are mostly unlistenable, other sets are quite acceptable, therefore, Mr Cook's advice on reading the reviews and checking them out before you buy, is really valuable.
on 14 November 2011
I can see why amazon put this on hold for a while after someone had objected to it being not as described. Whilst one can argue with that I can offer a reason.
The albums might have been enhanced digitally, but from what source? The first two albums (on the first CD) are from vinyl copies. You can hear the imperfections, clicks and odd scratch or distortion that the digital filters didn't bury under a muddy, bassy sound. EMI Liberty have released better copies from the original master tapes. However, the rest of the albums don't seem to suffer in quality as much. Sparse information on the sleeve, notably no copyrights given, but if what you're after is a sometimes cheap way of hearing this superb torch singer in her prime it could be a good start.
So, as an introduction to the smoky 1950s Julie London it was very good value at £8.99, though not so much at the £26+ it's subsequently shot up to. There are obviously a lot of companies trying to release Julie London material - often the same stuff. Would that EMI Liberty continued to release the rest of the 1960s albums that go for silly money in Japan....
on 1 February 2012
Fantastic albums and highly recommended to anyone who likes this type of music. The sound's variable and the odd pop and crackle would suggest that some of the tracks have been remastered from the original vinyl LP's but don't be put off it's a great value for money collection.
on 11 July 2014
Great looks, superb figure and she can sing! I rate her with The Misty Miss Christie & Rosemary Clooney.
on 4 June 2015
From the first track on album one to the last on album eight,sheer listening pleasure.
on 24 October 2013
As other reviewers have suggested, this admittedly cheap box set houses some very variable quality material, including a near-unlistenable Lonely Girl album that has clearly been ripped from vinyl, with a really bad repeating 'crunch' on it that only goes away between tracks! Surely someone at this label (Real Time Jazz - musicmelon.co.uk)must have given it a listen before release? 'Remastered and enhanced for superior quality'? I've bought better sounding vinyl from a charity shop that's been used as a frisbee!
on 19 August 2012
Julie London Eight Classic Albums
I have only listened to two of the CDs to date but what I have heard is wonderful, not just Julie, she is always great but the recording quality is first class. I am looking forward to sampling the rest of the eight disc set. Incidently it was a great price from Amazon.co.uk too
on 18 November 2015
excellent value, wide ranging selection