Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 June 2011
I love the new sound of Take That - I loved Progress and I'm pleased to say that Progressed has more of the same intriguing, interesting, complex sound with showcasing of vocals from different members of the band and more analysis of their lives, the universe and just about everything else. 'When We Were Young' handles the nostalgia for their 90s heyday, but 'Beautiful' is Barlow's self-eviscerating take on how he should have helped the others avoid some of the lower moments since and cuts even deeper. Like 'Kidz' and 'SOS', 'When the Work is Done' allows Owen to examine some anthropological/social/economic realities in the post-industrial world (how often can you say that of a top ten album?) whilst 'Alien' shows clear influence from Howard Donald's DJ background and 'Love Love' is just stadium-storming pop pomp of the best, hookiest, most ear-worming kind. Yes, it comes with a disc you probably already own but this is not just a bunch of cutting room discards packaged up, it's a serious extension of one of the best albums of the last twelve months and I for one am very glad they decided to release it.
on 19 July 2011
First and foremost, I'd like to state that I'm not a Take That fan, merely the long-suffering husband of a completely manic one. I took my wife to see Take That perform at Wembley back on the 30th June and it was an absolutely amazing show. I bought her this album a few days before the gig and it's been spot-welded into the car stereo since (despite my protestations that it might be nice to listen to some of my music from time to time!) Even my three year old daughter loves it (and can eerily name most of the tracks even before the intro has finished).

Progressed is the album Progress should have been. Featuring most of the tracks released as singles (which are, of course, the best tracks) and the upcoming "When we were young", it's pretty listenable stuff even if Take That are still a commercially processed boy band in your opinion.

Killer tracks like "Kids", "The Flood", "Man", and the utterly excellent "Love Love" are standouts but what sticks in the mind is how diverse this is and how unexpected most of the stuff is considering it's by a 'pop' band.
Didn't buy progress as wasn't ready to admit I owned a TT album. Although I loved Flood I couldn't justify it and then this album came out and I thought well it has to be a bargain to get two albums for the price of one

WOW!

This album is mind blowingly brilliant!

Love love on the "new" disc is worth the album price alone, incredible song. Catchy, powerful, pure TT really

Would I buy this is I had already bought progress... I don't know, I think this album was ideally suited to those of us who hadn't

Buy this album, there is a reason the boys are back doing sell out shows night after night. This album is incredible
on 17 September 2011
I am not a Take That fan. I find a lot of their work weak and insipid. The fans reading this are now ready to kill me no doubt.
I liked Progress though. My friend had it and I listened to it a lot and found it worked well as a complete album. Kidz and SOS were stand-out for me as I love a big sound. I had no intention of buying the album but I thought 'hmm, they're doing a lot better here'. I wonder if it's Robbie's influence (more controversy, no doubt).
But then they released Love Love, which is the most amazing song of the year. I bought Progressed on the strength of this track and wasn't disappointed. All the tracks are brilliant and the wonderful 'the day the work is done' is beautiful.
Quite simply - buy it. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this. The boys have learnt a lot, grown up and put together some brilliant music. Take That are no longer a boy band, but credible artists that have longevity, musical and performance talent to rival old stalwarts like Madonna.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2014
Following their reform in 2006, Take That returned with "Beautiful world" and "The circus", both of which featured soft adult pop-rock/folk songs, developing from the pop-orientated material that established and made them a true sensation in the '90s. "Progress" sounds nothing like these 2 albums, being a straight-up electronic record with a more upbeat synth-driven sound. Continuing their way forward, the increasing maturity in lyrics, the beautifully written melodies, the gorgeous vocal harmonies, the experimental and soul-baring qualities, were quite a deparure altogether from the typical Take That style of former records, introducing them to a more adult audience. Singles "The flood" and "When we were young" rank among the group's finest moments, unanimously. Many were initially unpleasantly surprised upon the album's release. However, most soon came round to admitting that this change in sound was rather necessary for them as a band in order to take another leap forward. Inevitably, Robbie Williams' influence was also seen with reserve, causing both positive and negative criticism.

Living up to its title, with "Progress" Take That broke new territory, and some records, too (the second fastest-selling album ever in the UK, and best-selling album of 2010 in Europe). The album is considered to be among Take That's boldest efforts, though it is not their strongest. This, "Progressed", the subsequent re-package enhanced interest, and boosted sales evenmore, resulting in total UK sales of 3 milion! Boasting 8 new tracks, most of them sitting more than comfortably alongside the original 10, "Progressed" ia a serious extension of, rathen than a simple addition to, the original set. A mention about the exquisite, minimalistic artwork, too. Both the yellow cover of "Progress"and the red of "Progressed", depicting the human/Take That evolution, are equally striking and bold, making a clear statement, and emphasising the context of the songs. "Progress" and "Progressed" not just reinforced the belief that Take That is not just a boy band anymore, but established them as an exciting band with creativity and longevity. Rather impressive, not just for their standards.
review image review image
Alike the previous reviewer I bought this as a gift for someone else for Christmas...my husband who actually really likes their later/current work as opposed to their earlier stuff and despite when Take That first came out me being a staunch East 17 Girl I must say I actually like their current work myself. A good CD that holds all of the songs from their album Progress plus more i.e. why I got him this album and not Progress, Hubby likes it and thats all that matters to me:)
on 13 June 2011
I have always been a fan of Take That but I think their latest music is even better. This album is well woth listening to.

I love it -even at 74 years old.

I really think they are improving if that is possible!!!
on 4 May 2013
You've probably heard half of the songs on this album on the radio and you either like or don't like Take That. I bought this because it was relatively cheap and came with an extra disc on top of the 'Progress' album, so there were going to be more songs that I hadn't heard before. This is well-produced electronic pop music that appeals to me and Messrs Barlow, Owen and Williams acquit themselves well in their respective lead vocals. The songs you haven't heard on the radio are still a good listen and then there are the chart hits which impelled me to buy the album at all. In this age of widespread pirate music downloading, it's still worth buying an album like this because you'll get so much more than the chart hits.
on 2 September 2011
I love their new album,I think this cd is even better than the last.I did'nt think it could get any better but I was wrong. My favourite song on the new cd is the day the work is done. I think it's a fantastic. It's a must have for TT fams :) :)
on 4 August 2011
WOW WOW WOW is all i can say......have always been a bit of a Take That fan but never quite as much as now after having listened to this perfect pop masterpiece!! My partner had gotten PROGRESS for Xmas and I had heard a few of the tracks when he had been playing it but none of it actually grabbed me that much apart from say KIDZ, THE FLOOD and EIGHT LETTERS.....it was only after realising that LOVE LOVE was included on the PROGRESSED cd that i thought to order it. Every other track is absolutely fantastic - i really really love it!!!! Can't stop listening to it - CD2 more so than CD1 though i do now like everything on CD1. Think my fave track has to be 'BEAUTIFUL' - this is an absolute stormer and i wish they were releasing this as a single - instead of WHEN WE WERE YOUNG (though obviously i love this too) - BEAUTIFUL is a swirling chord jumping uplifting meaningful track if ever i heard one and it actually brought a tear to my eye.....totally love THE DAY THE WORK IS DONE and LOVE LOVE - well, to be fair I just love it all....and now i cant wait to get the DVD of the tour which is due in November!