I rarely write reviews on games as I find that oppinion on any game can vary widely and the only way to get a good idea if you will like a game is to play it.
That said I feel this game really deserves a review. I will add that if I repeat anything everyone else has said I apologise I haven't read the other reviews.

Environment 5*

I was amazed...
Published on 11 Sept. 2011 by Escripion

3.0 out of 5 stars Hammer, meet Head
Published on 15 Sept. 2011 by Peter Parker-Penn

3.0 out of 5 stars Hammer, meet Head, 15 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I wasn't familiar with the 'Warhammer' franchise before buying this game (I based my decision to buy it solely on how much I enjoyed the demo) and initially, it's bizarre mix of hulking space soldiers and (frankly, almost endearing) orcs put me in mind of Gears of War as reimagined by Rare. Now I've almost completed the single player campaign and also dabbled in the multiplayer, and I've got to say it's one of the most enjoyable, and certainly, one of the most action-packed games I've played recently. The orcs and other monsters come at you in waves. Luckily, you've got plenty of guns and melee weapons to see them off. In Gears you can despatch enemies with a chainsaw, and Space Marine tops that by also giving you an axe or huge hammer to finish off your foes with. The brutality of these finishing moves actually made me wince (particularly the 'hammer to the head' kill) and I'm really surprised that the game isn't an '18'. In fact with it's constant gunfire, explosions, chainsaw-revving, hammer-bashing and space marine boot stomping, this is the first game I've played which has given me a headache from all the noise.
It's clear that this is a 'AAA' title. Mark Strong voices the main character, Ray Winstone voices one of his comrades, and the voice of the head orc sounds like the guy who played 'Nick The Greek' in 'Lock Stock'. It plays really well and some of the environments look amazing in their sheer scale.
One (admittedly minor) downside of the game is that you can't crouch behind cover. I know that this is a deliberate design choice to force the player into the thick of the action, but sometimes the enemies numbers are so overwhelming that you just have to hang back and attempt to pick some of 'em off. Also, to regenerate your health, you have to perform a finishing move on your foe (signalled by a 'B' appearing over their head) after wearing them down with some blows from your weapon (oo-err missus!). Although this is very straightforward when your facing an orc, I found it quite difficult to get it right when I was fighting those red demons (basically, I'd usually bash them so much they would evaporate), but that could just be due to my playing style.
However, I've really enjoyed playing Space Marine and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an action-packed 'shoot n' slash' game. The reason I've given it three stars is that after fighting through the orc hordes once, I haven't really got that much of a desire to play through it again, so in some ways I'd have to say it may be one to rent rather than own.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to the 40K universe, an action packed game and a brilliant story., 11 Sept. 2011

Environment 5*

I was amazed by how Epic had captured the feel of a Warhammer 40K environment just playing the demo and was then absolutely blown away while playing the full game. They have literaly got it to a T, the graphics are slightly cartoony while still retaining a wow factor and the architecture, vehicles, everything are spot on.

Canon 4.5*

The Epic team have worked with Games Workshop for a number of years now namely on the Dawn of War Franchise which has given them an in depth feel for the Universe their games are set in. This has allowed them to create Spacemarine to a level where any 40K player, tabletop and DoW, will instantly recognise everything and I real mean everything. The only divergence I found was in the vengeance launcher, but its such a minor thing half a star is harsh. I felt that Epic have represented the Ultramarines well. The use of the three different personalities for the characters stretches the accepted Ultramarine stereotype, but then so does Uriel Ventris.

Gameplay 4*

The combat system is pretty amazing and I can't remember ever playing a game that combines melee and ranged combat with such variety and so fluidly. That said it does have a few minor annoyances that hopefully will be ironed out either in the next game or in patches. Namely the camera which at times can be extremely irritating especially on multiplayer.

Multiplayer 4*

Not played a massive amount of Multiplayer but what I have played has been enjoyable and the customisation options are massive. As noted above the camera can be a real pain and the factor that some players have unlocked equipment that kills you really quickly can be annoying. relic seem to have anticipated this though and have therefore allowed you to copy your killers loadout to even the odds.

Story 5*

Not going to say much on this as I don't want to give anything away, but I will say its long, interesting and complex, oh and the ending is very true to character. Enjoy.

I've probably missed some things but this review has got too long, if you have any questions I will reply to sensible comments.

Thank you very much relic and if you could create a game with DoW and Spacemarine combined I think it would be perfect.

Escripion

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 31 Jan. 2012
P. James - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As a casual 360 player and long time 40k hobbyist, this one is right at my level. The campaign was a lot of fun to play through with great characters and a good plot. Everything is true to the Warhammer 40,000 universe, even the quirky little details that make the hobby world what it is. It was long enough to keep me hooked, but didn't drag; sufficiently challenging with some tricky little spots, but not so much so that it stops being fun.

However, what has really captured my interest (unexpectedly so) is the online multiplayer mode. I've previously played through Halo, Gears and some of the others but never got into the online stuff, mainly due to the overly competitive nature of those multiplayer games. If you don't purchase that game the day it's released and play online all day every day, your character is quickly out-classed and makes for an unbalanced match.

This is different. Although there is the normal levelling up system which allows access to more weapons, perks and so on as you go through, you can still compete on an even footing with the other players. If you die, you have the option of cloning the loadout of the person who killed you for one life.

The only real grumble I have is the need to purchase some of the additional content that, by rights, you'd probably expect to be included as standard in a game of this nature. Some of the extra multiplayer modes are free DLC, but the Dreadnought Assault mode (which is a lot of fun) is 800 MS Credits. That being said, the game is so cheap to start with, even with the outlay on DLC, it's still better priced than the other titles.

Hardcore gamers probably won't enjoy this as much, but I think this is a cracking game and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer made difficult by hard-core gamers, 22 Sept. 2011
SINGLE-PLAYER;

(I love Warhammer and Warhammer 40K by the way, just thought I'd mention it ;) )

I have nothing more to add to what the other reviews have said about single-player; you will notice upon reading them that they all sound pretty similar!

MULTI-PLAYER;

A big problem with the multi-player aspect is that a lot of gamers are already on the higher levels of 'XP'. For the newcomers, you'll walk in, and face opponents with all the perks and more powerful weapons. It was very difficult to defeat enemies on the opposing team using weak weapons; you just have to slug through it and slowly gain XP as you go until you get better equipment, although it is tough!

You would say well thats natural; if you play the game enough you will get good at it and naturally be 'quick-on-the-draw', but the major disadvantage is that a lot of newcomers, and even the more seasoned players, will get a little tired of playing the multi-player aspect of the game when it's being played at an almost 'olympic standard' of skill. It can suck the fun out of the game, and become more of a constrained art-form than fun. Some gamers are ridiculously good.

Again, I stress this not really a bad thing, BUT the point is that the public games are already literally flooded with such players; like Halo 3, it can become VERY difficult to get into and get the most out of multi-player.

4.0 out of 5 stars The tremble of Titus, 17 Sept. 2014
STORY
You play as Captain Titus, commander of the Ultra Marines. The planet Forge World Graia has
always been devoted to mass production of military weapons and remarkable weapons. The planet is invaded by alien Orks, looking to get their hands on these destructive weapons. You and two fellow comrades must locate Inquisitor Drogan, an extremely high-ranking agent, and find a way to stop the Ork invasion.

Players should expect plenty of twists and the story. Captain Titus is a wonderful character, oozing an IQ level that far exceeds the intellect of Marcus Fenix. not only because he’s a walking battle tank, it‘s because he knows no fear and puts himself before his troops.

GRAPHICS & SOUND
The ultra marines sure do look the business in their blue and gold armoured uniforms. Titus’ armour is slightly different and represented by different symbols and emblems, which is a great way of distinguishing rank and authority. The Orks are an extremely primitive alien race; gooey green coloured skin and tattered clothing make up their numbers. The Warlord Titans look amazing as you gaze away into distant vistas; these huge structures just completely dwarf their environments. Outdoor environments are much more interesting and decayed, swamped by junkyards and dangerous wasteland.

The local architecture is very dark and gothic, which helps breathe a little life into the environments and provides vertical scope. Without spoiling too much, the visuals become much more interesting as the game progresses, external invaders warp the environments into interesting forms. Level design is fairly linear, but this keeps many battles tight and helps you adjust to the size of surrounding environments. The soundtrack brims with orchestral bravado and backs the drama remarkably well. Sound design is satisfying crunchy; combining the thunder hammer and jetpack together are an audio maniac’s fantasy come true.

Unfortunately, interior environments just aren’t very interesting and washed over with drab browns and greys. It’s a shame more thought didn’t go into these areas in order to give the lighting a much needed boost.

GAMEPLAY
Warhammer fuses melee combat and third-person shooting together extremely well. Assault rifles, grenade launchers, shotguns and powerful sniper rifles are available for selection. There are some other weapons to come across, which add another level of carnage and relentless slaughter to the gameplay. Weapons can be easily selected and switched to keep combat options diverse. The bolter became an instant favourite, while it lacked accuracy; it certainly packed a head-popping punch. When shooting isn’t doing the business then it‘s time to break out some close-quarter action. A fine selection of melee weapons are at hand to dismember enemies into chunks of flesh. Melee weapons range from large swords to giant axes. The thunder hammer was an item of pure malevolence and destruction. Grenades are also available to help separate large clumps of enemies in one single blow. Players will have to balance the use of melee and projectile attacks to overcome many challenging battles.

Enemies can become prone to context sensitive attacks, which will allow Titus to perform a brutal finisher. Performing finishing attacks will replenish lost energy, but your shield will regenerate on its own. Fury mode is where you can truly unleash hell; which radically increases Titus’ attack power for a limited amount of time. The more carnage and mayhem you create, the faster your fury metre will recharge. Titus can also equip his trusty jetpack during specific gameplay sequences, which allows him to strike down enemies as an angel of death. The jetpack features a quick boost that enables Titus to quickly charge towards the ground using a very fierce stomp attack. Enemies A.l. differs throughout the Ork ranks, foot soldiers charge at you without mercy, where as armoured troops tend to sit back and pick you off at a distance. Gameplay gets interesting when different enemy types surround you at once, which can be between 20-30 Orks. Tougher enemies will need more softening up before you can go in for an entertaining kill. Your teammates can’t be issued any specific commands, but they are loyal and put in a good shift to help you throughout the campaign.

Shooting Orks square in the face and chopping them into confetti was a very entertaining ride, but the campaign lacked diversity and did very little to breathe life into the gameplay. The end boss battle is a complete anti-climax and it is not a true test of the player’s skill up to that point.

OVERALL
Captain Titus is a fantastic character and carries the burden of the mission upon his giant shoulders. The story is a Warhammer fan’s wet fantasy, but I suspect there will be much nit picking about certain plot points. The visuals embrace the core values of the Warhammer universe and vividly bring its inhabitants to life. The gameplay is fun, violent and engaging, but could do with a little depth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but repetitive, 12 Nov. 2011
Mr. L. A. Okeefe "scutterluke" (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
A great idea for a game, as someone who used to play warhammer 40 K when I saw this game was coming out I thought I would give it a go. I liked the story and the graphics were excellent. The major twist in the game was not that major as the trailers had already told me what was going to happen and the twist when you complete the game you could see coming a mile off, but that was ok I was not expecting a master piece of storytelling, and I was reasonably pleased with that part of the game
The real let down was the game play mindless button bashing again and again. If my character died I would go back and try the same tactic again and again until I was successful. There was no thought required at all, just shoot everything until it gets too close then hack everything with your close combat weapon. Then on the next level/part of the game just shoot everything until it gets too close then hack everything with .... well you get the picture.

The only redeeming feature of this game is the potential it unlocks, the Games workshop universe is huge. If they make a follow up to this game with a tweaked game play system they have so much they can do, new worlds, new enemies, new allies, new vehicles , and other space marine chapters. I just hope if they so make a sequel or a spin off they revamp the basic game play and controls.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am WAR!, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Storming single player campaign, great combination of hack and slash action, and shooting elements. Much faster action than Gears and similar games (no ducking and waiting for NPCs to pop out of their cover) just charge in and let rip!

Perhaps not the most original game, but who cares? It is well managed, intuitive controls, nice selection of weapons and tactics, decent story, solid graphics and execution moves.

Treat yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to hear the Orks yell "Space Marines to kill!!" over and over., 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Cool game, regardless of whether you play the tabletop game or not. I certainly don't, but I'm a big fan of Warhammer: Dawn of War II on the PC, so I was drawn to this. I wasn't aware of it when it came out, but I picked it up for cheap recently. I'm about half way through after 5-6 hours play, and so far it's rather good.

My immediate first impression was that the game feels like one big wave of bosses. Some action/shooters tend to draw you in gradually to a boss, but this is just boss after boss. Apparently there's a storyline going on, but really you just work your way through various warzones and kick the tar out of anything that moves. I don't really have much of a clue what's going on other than I have bad guys to kill.

The post-apocalyptic dystopian setting is quite wonderful visually despite being quite an aged game. The graphics stand up well, and the surroundings are very varied as you trek through the various battles.

The graphic violence is enjoyably OTT, and driving your Chainsword through the chest of of an Ork is incredibly fun. All the weapons are very varied and fun to use. The only drawback to them weaponry is that you can only carry 4 guns, and you often have to swap a gun you don't want to lose for a gun that you need to use against a certain upcoming enemy.

Whilst it is an enjoyable hack n' blast romp, it does have a few drawbacks overall:
-A severe lack of exploration of the 40K universe. There's no real opportunity to free-roam and the route is very much set for you to follow. There's no chance of getting lost or having to find your way on your own. If you don't find where you should be going after about 30 seconds, a light will show you where to be.
-Some waves of Orks just feel like they last forever, and slashing them up as quickly as possible in one slog can get a bit tiresome.
-Limited melee moves makes non-shooting combat very repetitive. The close-range executions are fun, but the hacking and slashing has no variation, and it's just the same move over and over. The combat physics and blood/gore are very good, so it's a shame that close-range combat isn't a little more extensive.

Despite the drawbacks, I'm still giving it 4 outta 5. Good graphics and good gameplay make it very fun. A stronger and more emotive narrative would make it 5 out of 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent and Solid, 9 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've been playing the single player campaign for 5+ hours now, and I like what I have seen.
As it says in the title this is a decent game, it is not the best game that will be out in these final few months of 2011 but it certainly will not be the worst!
As for the game, pretty standard third person shooter, it is a long way from orginal, every aspect of it you will have played before in other games this is not different, added to the shooting is a hack and slash element, it mixs the two very well,no need for frustration on the gamers part, simply press a different button and the sword is in play, press a different one again and gun is back out ready for use, there is a good range of weapons on offer, like gears simply select via the d-pad,as is common in most hack and slash games different button combos are there to be used and mastered, animation is okay, nothing spectacular but it is to acceptable levels,and certainly helps convey the 40k world well. voice acting is pretty weak, orks have those dodgy mockney accents, Chaos marines have their lisps etc, (just like Dawn of War)
If your a fan of 40k or like 3rd person shooters in general this game will keep you intrested, if your not into 40k then this is a pretty decent game on it's own merits and worth considering.
Of course the major problem for this game is - that it is coming out alongside a whole host of top-draw titles,and as good as it is, if you only have money for a limited number of games this year, then your not be choosing this over Gears, or CoD or Skyrim (to name but a few)
And as much as I like this game I can't advise you to spend your money on this game rather than them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesnt live up to its potential, 10 Jan. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game plays very much like GoW, but sadly lacks much of the game mechanics that made the latter so successful. Simple things like the ability to effectively use the scenery for cover by crouching or peeking around the sides is irritatingly absent (of course you can position your character behind stuff but enemy fire often randomly penetrates the scenery). Also there is no way to issue orders to your co-op characters in single player mode. They just wander around randomly engaging enemies.

Like many other reviewers have said, this game quickly gets repetitive as it lacks any requirement for different tactics during combat, as every engagement can be dealt with in the same way: hide out of sight of the enemy and snipe them with your ranged weapons, then engage in button-mashing hand to hand combat if you run low on ammo or health. If it hadnt been so short I probably would have got tired of it before I finished it.

The primary method for regaining health is also quite annoying, as you have to stun then execute an enemy to recharge your health bar. This involves the character performing a kind of 'special move' which takes 2-3 seconds, during which the enemy can still hit and damage you. Seeing as it is often neccessary to wade into a pack of enemies to execute one, the process gains you very little advantage as the others all attack you while your character faffs about with his execution move.

What really bothered me about this game was the unexplored potential. For example there are a number of times when vehicles pop-up in the course of the game, but you never get the option to take any of them for a spin. What little interaction there is with vehicles is limited to manning a fixed cannon. The game gives you plenty of weapons but they are generally all just increasingly better versions of the same thing you started with. Dont even get me started on the Titan.

The Warhammer 40K universe offers tons of potential to explore the various warrior types, special items, magic, alien species; but all of this is disappointly absent. You do get a tantalising taste of what could be possible, and the ambience of the game is bang on. It just felt like it should have delivered much more.

Finally, I noticed a lot of bugs in the game. Enemies would end up stuck inside scenery or floating on top of things that they couldnt get off of. I once had to restart from a previous checkpoint as I fell off the Titan and landed in a piece of dead scenery that I clearly wasnt supposed to be in (and couldnt get out of). Also the audio would often drop out or stop altogether when characters were speaking, especially if you werent looking directly at them.

The price of this game has nosedived since I bought it, so its probably still worth paying a tenner or less if you're a Warhammer universe fan. Otherwise not a great purchase.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360)