5.0 out of 5 stars Superb movie creation and editing software
Well, I was completely blown away with the Sony Movie Studio HD software.

It's not worth me telling you what Amazon have already told you - the product description probably only skims the surface.

Published on 23 July 2011 by Darren Watkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Just one warning if you are new to video editing
Published on 6 Aug 2012 by Carpenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb movie creation and editing software, 23 July 2011
Darren Watkins (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11 (PC) (Software)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, I was completely blown away with the Sony Movie Studio HD software.

So, installation. I timed it and it took just over five minutes from clicking on install the studio to the point where it had installed. You then of course, when you launch the software, to register it and add in the licence key (that took less than a minute).

Now, please don't confuse this with a DVD authoring piece of software - such as Nero - this is a complete video editing and production studio.

Inside the box you will find two discs, a pair of card 3D glasses and the licence numbers you will need to register your products. One of the discs contains the software, and the other is a really good DVD which shows you what the software will do, and how to do it. It is just a rough tutorial. Once you load the software and get into it, you will find that there is a built in tutorial. It's not a tutorial that you just read, it is interactive. It will tell you what to do, and then get you to do it.

Moving on to the software. One of the features I love is the image stabilisation, you can take a rough shaky picture and turn it into something that looks as smooth as silk. I shot some video on my digital camera walking around my house, it was shaky, but after putting on the image stabilisation, it looked as if I was on a track, it was really smooth. I also love the way that you can add a backing track to your video, or mute the audio so all you can hear is the music. It also has a chroma key function.

The software can turn the rough footage you have shot (no matter what you recorded it on) and then burn it onto a Blu-ray Disc (provided you have a Blu-ray burner). You can preview it, create a load of special effects, change audio, add titles and a lot, lot more.

Now, I do know my way around a PC, but would not class myself as a film producer at all. However, after playing around for half an hour with the software, I was able to get professional results.

For what this can do, I am surprised they are not charging at least twice as much as they are. It is well worth every single penny. Would recommend this to any amateur or even professional movie maker, whether that be weddings etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why do they do it?, 3 Feb 2012
This is undoubtedly a good editing package, and, after reading many reviews I went ahead and ordered it.
You should be aware though, that it suggests in the specifications, you should have a computer that is able to run it effectively, meaning a fast processor, sufficient ram, and of course hard memory, plus of of course a reasonable HD graphics card. You don't really need however, to rush out and buy a super video suitable PC to do this, just check your PC will meet the requirements, or if it can be upgraded to do so.

After installation, which is fairly straight forward you are invited to immediately get "updates" and of course register before you can use anything. This is the most onerous thing about this package! The information you are required to register for the separate component packages??? Requires separate registration numbers? Where are these numbers? Well obviously not on the outer package, or on the installation CD cover, but inside one of the 3 booklets that accompany the package. Are these numbers unique? Well yes I suppose if yours is the only printed booklet. You will need to enter 4 separate authentication codes to get going.

Anyway, (Tired? I was by then!) The package itself is not only intuitive and reasonably simple to use, but contains a very useful step by step guide to all the clever components it contains. It is not difficult to see why this package is becoming increasingly popular. Apart from the registration, this is a good product at a reasonable price and for most will not be a disappointment. If you need more, then try the "Professional" package, however, this does not appear to be reviewed quite as favourably?.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to create interesting movies, 24 July 2011
IanW (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Installing the three components of the suite; Vegas Movie Studio, Sound Forge Audio Studio, and DVD Architect Studio, was quick and easy. As with many products, it needs to be activated and registered online to continue using it after a short trial period. This was no problem, but it would have been better if all of the components of the suite could have been activated at the same time, instead of individually. I am running the package under Windows 7 Professional, on an AM3 Phenom quad-core system with 8 GB Ram and 2 x 750 GB SATA disks.
Having previous experience of video editing with a number of different applications, I knew what I wanted to do, and explored the product's features from that point of view. The supplied product training tutorials are well worth watching, although the voice of the presenter is a bit wearing after a while, but they give a very good insight to the capabilities of the software and the workflow process.
I use a Panasonic DV camcorder for projects that I want to output to DVD, but more and more I'm using a Flip HD for everyday use, and output to Windows Movie or upload to U-Tube. Video capture is very straightforward, from either device, using Firewire and USB respectively, and the DV device control is particularly good, with no dropped frames. Previously captured clips, in a wide range of formats, can also be easily imported. Project settings can be selected individually, or can be left to default to the format of either the input, or output media.
The user interfaces of all components are well laid out, and panel windows can be undocked and left open on a second monitor, which is very helpful. Editing, with real-time playback, is made very easy by comprehensive dragging and dropping of clips, transitions and effects from their respective panels to the timeline. Settings can be adjusted easily using a comprehensive array of slider controls.
Using Vegas Movie Studio as a base, the other components are activated as part of the workflow, although each component can be used stand-alone. The Sound Forge Audio Studio, in particular, looks to be very useful for independently editing and creating audio files.
Considering how comprehensive this package is, I had no difficulty in finding my way around and very quickly created short test movies, complete with titles, transitions, and effects in a number of formats, including DVD's with menus. There is even a 3D capability, which will be something to explore at a later date, but first impression is that it looks very interesting.
I am extremely impressed by this product; it is well featured, with great functionality, and a very intuitive user interface. The 'Show Me How' button is really useful, it opens a tutorial window which is tallored to the feature being used, giving real-time help without leaving the application. Over a number of years, I have used several video editing and production applications, including Adobe Premier, and pound for pound, feature for feature, this is absolutely the best value package I have come across. I am looking forward to fully exploring its capabilities but, just on what I have seen so far, I would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creat quick program, 25 April 2012
Living in the Czech Republic I still ordered this program from Amazon, just because the price is surprisingly twice as much here in Czech. No problems with Amazon, they delivered it very fast.

Till now I was editing in Adobe Premiere Elements, which is in my eyes a great program, but also very slow. I have a good PC, intel i5, 8Gb Ram, Geforce gtx 295, but still the program was after a few minutes of edited video getting very slow.

That doesn't count for Vegas Movie Studio. The program is just superbly guick and not difficult to learn. In comparison to Adobe Premiere Elements there are some diffirences in the way of editing, some things are for me better in PrE, some things are better in VMS, for example crossfading (I hope that's the right term :-)).

The only thing I really miss in this program is the possibility to slow down or guick up the video a lot - for example a sunset of 1 hour you can't just easily shorten to half a minute in one step, which was possible in PrE. But ok, with a few renderings you can reach the same result, only it takes a bit longer.

But I have to say, the fact that the program is this much quicker with the same hardware is amazing and I wouldn't get to any other program. Before the buying of this software I tried a lot of other editing programs as a trial, but none I liked this much. Sony just knows how to do things :-) I can only recommend the program. And yeah, if you are not sure, try the trial from this and other programs also and you will see yourself. Everybody is different and likes a diffferent program. This one works perfect for me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for serious amateur editors and as an alternative to Final Cut Express, 4 April 2012
When I gave up my Macs (3 in total as OS X is very annoying and Windows 7 is very good) I was left without one of the few applications I couldn't replace - Final Cut Express.

I wanted a professional Non-Linear Editor without the price. FCE was just this as it's simply a stripped down version of of the real thing. In the Windows world, however, most consumer priced NLEs were designed for people who've never heard of interlace or PAL and need wizards to get the job done.

While Adobe Elements Premier looked promising, I found it incredibly slow and joined a long list of people sharing the same problems on the Adobe forums.

On starting the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio I felt instantly at home, with direct access to advanced video properties. Ignoring the slightly outdated widgets and Sony marketing push for Sony's products (who edits videos for PSP?), I found VMS to be exactly what I wanted. I was evenly pleasantly surprised to find some of the keyboard shortcuts from FCE to work (J,K,L etc).

So when I found that Amazon was selling it for a 1/3 of the direct price from Sony I didn't think twice to buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just one warning if you are new to video editing, 6 Aug 2012
I have just got this piece of software so it may be a bit too soon to comment. I spent the whole day trying to work out why my videos were only partially stored on DVD viz. 40 minutes of carefully (and laboriously) edited filming was stored as a fragment of just 15 secs! on the blank DVD-R. This is surely the first thing what we want to do with the stuff we take with our camcorders - put it on DVD. I have been going nuts trying to work out what on earth was wrong....Finally...finally and no thanks to the very poor "Quick Start Guide" where you might have thought you'd have found the answer - the answer? UNTICK the confounded "Render Loop Region".

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what I wanted, 4 Jun 2012
I bought this software suite specifically to edit and process the AVCHD files produced by my Canon movie camera, and to burn the edited product to DVD in 16:9 wide screen format. You'd think this was a straightforward task nowadays, but I've tried several video editors that can't cope. This one, however, works very well. The user interface takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's no more complex than any other video editor I've tried. There's the usual collection of cheesey wipes and fades no-one sane would use unless they were making an ironic comedy about home movies, but many of the features (zoom and stabilisation, for instance) are very powerful and well implemented. The quality of the of the resulting DVDs compares favourably with professional material. In all, I think it's a high quality product at a very reasonable price. It does exactly what I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's true what they say ..., 24 Mar 2012
I have been using Corel's Video Studio X3 to cut together home movies and have been disappointed with the output quality. Sony Vegas is fantastic. It supports standards used in the UK (and Europe) as well as the US. For a product that is nearly a year old Sony are still maintaining it with regular (but not too frequent) patches that are easy to apply. The video tutorials that come in the box are a little brief, but there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to help you out with anything complex you may want to do.

The UI is quite complicated but once you invest the time in learning it, it becomes quite functional. I have enjoyed using it.

3.0 out of 5 stars great software, shame about the headache, 17 Aug 2011
E. Ramshaw - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sony Vegas is one of the best editing suites out there and to be honest it doesn't fail to do what it says on the box. it supports just about every video format out there and allows for a professional finish using professional tools... and there lies the problem.

I have used numerous video programs in the past, Adobe Premiere and iMovie (apple) being the main ones... Premiere just seems to be more intuitive to the average user, and iMovie allows professional results with no effort but every tool is in a logical place. Sony Suite comprises of Vegas (Video), Soundforge (Audion Edit), and DVD Architecht (create menus and structures on a disc for that production feel).

It's taken me a whole day just to get to grips with transitioning one clip into another and even more to get on with some of the text overlay and video effects available... in a word, if this is your first dip into the world of video then this software is likely to scare you and put you off ever using it again, if you know what you're doing it'll deliver some amazing results but it may give you a headache in the process.

my 3 stars is more of a warning, it's good... but not for the faint hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Easy, Efficient., 16 Jun 2014
Before buying Sony Vegas, I was looking for a piece of software to do some video editing with that I could get for a small budget. I initially worked with the likes of Final Cut Pro and the like and that is not only expensive but I would need to get a whole new computer to use let alone function properly. When first looking at Sony Vegas, I thought it would be complicated as the layout (although daunting at first) suggested that it would be a handful but it is quite the opposite.

I do gaming videos and I used various formats to do so and using Sony Vegas not only helped me out with the tutorials (Show Me How which focuses more on the doing rather than the telling and press F5 for Contents rubbish) but the program worked very well with the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 which records in Sony's proprietary format, AVC. Not only that but if you are unsure what you are working with, this piece of software can help by MATCHING its project settings appropriately. Talk about efficiency (that saves a lot of time in the long run). It also comes with a lot of bonus effects which are great to look at

Apart from the Movie Studio, it comes with a Audio Editor and a DVD Authoring piece which helps when making DVD's. A downside which I have found (but may not apply to you and please don't take it away from this product) is that the sound editor does not come with a sort of noise cancellation feature which is essential for me as I do game commentaries and for it not to come with something that is essential really disappointed me. Another thing that disappointed me was that there was FEW options to tweak the technical parts of your projects which YOU have to pay EXTRA for...(I understand that Sony add options depending on how much you want to pay for extra stuff...)

Overall, it is a good piece of software which I would recommend for people wanting to do good stuff with a good piece of software, People who are into Media or Film, may want to upgrade so you get extra technical options and an overall professional suite. Joy to work with.

(P.S get a good computer...otherwise expect long render times with HD...believe me!)...(and I got this for £21...BARGAIN)

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11 (PC)
Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11 (PC) by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)