Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had read good things about Movie Studio 11 and decided to try it for myself. It lived up to my hopes and I'd strongly recommend it.

There are several versions. Take a look at Sony's product comparison page before deciding which is right for you, although Platinum is probably the right balance for most users: [...]

Vegas isn't the easiest video editing product I've used, with a daunting interface, but anyone familiar with free packages such as Microsoft's Movie Maker or Apple's iMovie will find their way around the key areas fairly easily. Once they've done so, it shouldn't take too long to get to grips with some of the more sophisticated features and discover the versatility and power of Vegas. The excellent tutorials make essential viewing and the built-in help is comprehensive.

Maybe you're lucky enough to own a 3D camera, in which case the 3D editing, 3D YouTube upload and 3D Blu-ray authoring capabilities will be valuable. You even get 3D glasses in the box.

Other features are too numerous to mention but the comparison chart (see above) lists them. If all you want to do is chop some of your footage, combine clips, add titles and basic effects, you really don't need anything as powerful as Vegas and would do better with a simpler package. This might be Movie Maker or iMovie (they don't accept AVCHD footage from more-modern camcorders but free converters are widely available). Alternatively, you could pay for Cyberlink PowerDirector which I thought one of the easiest packages to learn despite its strong capabilities.

Vegas ran smoothly on my Win 7 64-bit i7 6GB machine, even though, disappointingly, there's no 64-bit version. I wasn't able to try it on any other PC. Check the system requirements before ordering.

If you're unsure about whether to buy Vegas, get the 30-day trial from the Vegas website first, especially if you have a less-powerful computer. In fact, that's a clever thing to do anyway, because the DVD in the package is unlikely to be the latest build (mine certainly wasn't); install the trial and use the product keys in the package to activate it. You can also download trial versions of competitors such as Corel VideoStudio, Pinnacle Studio and PowerDirector. Me, I've tried them all and will be sticking with Vegas.
1010 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've reviewed movie editors for Amazon before and I must say that Vegas is far more intuitive and simpler to use, despite being far more competent and capable of professional results (literally). eg To fade in, you drag the visual frame icon corner and a curved line appears, same for fade out, split - you just press 'S' that was a pig to find in Nero and crashed PowerDirector.
Zoom in/out on the time line - like magix did, but nero can't do and I can't find it in Serif either.

I've used
-Power Director 9 (confusing and slow, clunky and made enormous files from small ones - un-installed)

-Magix 16- The simplest and easiest before Vegas, but mine doesn't work on Win 7

-Nero 10 - simpler the worst set of programs I've ever tried to use. (Every included part, even the DVD burn was a
pain - Roxio did it with one click)

-Serif MoviePlus x5 - which is better value than the above and very effective.
Trouble is, you have to buy the extras with Serif, very cheeky!

Windows Movie maker, which was good on Win XP and now that's its on-line (LIVE), well - you can't upload a 1 Gb clip can you? Only good for joining snippets together

Sony Vegas has the extras built in and a separate program included which builds a DVD menu and structure for publishing your finished disc.

Very impressive and very easy to learn with interactive and very good tutorials in the work screen, not some shabby pdf manual you have to down load and find the bits you want your self - that applies to ALL the other software.

This should be your first choice, no need to buy anything else.

I am so relieved to have got it - makes my life so much easier, seriously - its that good.
88 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2011
I've been editing HD videos mixed with stills since 1997 and used most domestic software that is available.
For what I do, Sony comes out top on features and flexability every time.
Once you get used to the programme, you start realising just how good it is and I've always felt more in control
of what I am doing. The quality of every operation is inspiring and that pushes you to producing a quality end product.
Among the other programmes I've used or tried are Pinnacle, VideoStudio X2 and 4, Prem Elements, Magix 16, Eduis 5,
Cyberlink. There are others but I wont bore you. They are all ok but.........
Although Sony Plat. does not offer Proxy files, you will find smooth previews whatever you throw at it.
It is important not to rush into editing but to learn how to set up a proposed project and it would pay you to spend
some time practising with video clips on the timeline.
If you are patient you will get some amazing results and really enjoy making videos.
55 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2011
This is and always has been the best editing system. The only thing that I must tell you is that you must firstly download the Vegas Movie Studio upgrade as instructed when you first open the program. But, even more important, you must also upgrade the DVD Architect program. It does not tell you to do this but the build no. 150 which comes on this DVD does not accept the audio stream. You must get on to the Sony Creative Software website and download the latest update for build no. 156 which corrects this error.

Having said that, both programs are superb.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2011
I have yet to use the DVD Architect software and have no intention of exploring the movie editor's 3D caability, but for editing video this is an excellent program, and even more so when you consider how reasonably priced it is.

I used a previous version (6 with Windows XP) and found it excellent. This version is compatible with Windows 7 (in my case, Ultimate, 32 bit). It is a joy to use and I find it remarkably intuitive, though that may be partly due to having used the earlier version.

The program comes with a range of transition effects, but to me the best thing about it visually is the ease and control available to the editor using cross-fades. You have complete control over length by simple overlap

Its audio editing capability is excellent too, though if you don't find it enough for your needs you can always export audio to your favoured audio editor and import it back. Sony would obviously like it if you used their own product (Sound Forge) for this purpose, but you can link Vegas to any audio editor you want, including Audacity, which is free.

I find Vegas very stable and a pleasure to ease. Love it.
on 28 November 2011
All the press reviews of this editor have consistently placed it at the top of the class. It does have a steep learning curve but once you have learned how to do what you want editing is quick. Version 11 has much improved titling which in earlier versions was rudimentary and is the only reason I upgraded from 10. It is ideally coded for a two monitor setup as all the windows can be undocked and placed where you want.

Video projects are prepared for burning on DVD or Blu-ray in a separate program called DVD Architect. This is frequently updated and can be downloaded for free once you have made a one-off payment for a licence. It is initially difficult to use, but after a few hours of self training using the help provided one realises what a lot of control over the menu system one has. However there are a few problems as described by the reviewer who gave it 2 stars and its inability to burn a full HD AVCHD project to a standard DVD (as far as I can see).

Plenty has already been said about this editor so I won't say more. However, I think it now has a real competitor in the home market, namely Avid Studio, the successor to Pinnacle Studio. This is easier to use particularly for previous Pinnacle users, gives comparable results, is equally fast or faster, burns AVCHD to DVD and has a useful interactive graphic overview of the timeline placed just below the timeline. I like both editors but they both have annoying drawbacks. See my review of Avid Studio, Upgrade Edition from Pinnacle Studio 9 or higher, Liquid Edition v.6, or Avid Liquid 7 (PC) to read my further comments.

Sony Vegas is substantially cheaper than Avid and this may be the decider for you.
on 13 March 2012
£22 for vegas vs £539 for premier. it does everything premier does and everything microsoft movie maker doesnt. And cheap enough that its not even worth the hassle of torrenting it. it can be a touch confusing to start with but read the help tips and you'll soon pick it up.
WORTH EVERY PENNY! :D
on 29 July 2011
First I would have to say ,I am 74 years old, so a bit, (no a lot ) slow.
The Sony Vegas for me was quite difficult to understand. The instructions beit on line or the how do you do it, were very poor. But after a lot of trial and error
I think I am getting there. So I would have to rate the product as first class.
A great shame about the instructions, someone should write a book on it.
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a name brand like Sony you expect to get something of quality and indeed this is a richly featured and powerful program. I found it quite tricky to get to grips with, not 100% intuitive to use. Also it did not handle some of the formats I wanted. Apart from that it does everything you would want a video package to do. My advice on any bit of software is download a trial version before you buy to see if it works for you. I've used a stable version of Nero for years that does what I need to and I like the user interface so going to another brand is always going to be a jolt because you have to search around to find what is usually 2nd nature. There are useful help and tutorials though so overall it's a good piece of software and the step by step tutorials did get me through most processes even though in each case I was left thinking that the method was impossible to work out without help, this is the first time I've had major issues like this, normally 5 minutes of trial and error would get me there but with Vegas I was getting stuck time and again. Even so, I particularly like the 5.1 audio feature where you can actually mix your own 5.1 on a discrete track by track basis and add it to your video or export it as an AC3 5.1 file. As a musician I have experimented with producing music in 5.1 and this works great. However, even on my relatively fast and new PC the rendering time for video seemed huge. Over 3 hours for a 90 min movie being rendered as a 4GB AVI file. Talking of AVI, this was the only shock with this software, it does not handle AVI by default. Quite what Sony are playing at here I have no idea, a package of this power that does not handle AVI is a joke. I had to Google the problem and download a 3rd party codec pack but then it did work. Very very odd.
on 2 May 2012
So usually i create, edit and mix music rather than videos but have been over the last few years shooting home tv programmes with a friend who loves to direct so we have been collaberating on some home projects, really we felt as though we wanted to take a step up from Windows Movie Maker and took the step to bag a bargin from Amazon and for a cheap price got this. I know i am very keen to review only after about a week, but i'm sure i will come back later and do a further review to back this one up.

Yes this is a better way forward than windows Movie Maker, but still there are some very basic FX's here (i am aware you can download add-ons), but from the basic pallet over all the software is ok, haven't yet had chance to use that DVD making software that comes with this (Bonus addition!) so can't really comment too much on that.

But as for the software it's self it requires a very good graphics card (i have to preview it in half quality) but rendering a short portion can give you an idea of each effect.

Quality: 9/10
Ease Of Use: 8/10 (New comers will need to learn some bits first, although not too daunting)
Fun Factor: 10/10