on 9 April 2013
The delivery of this item was blistering; I ordered it in the early hours of Sunday morning and it was through my letter box by Tuesday.
It worked perfectly well connecting my MacBook Pro to my LG Plasma TV but not to my Samsung LED (for which it was intended for as a second screen). This was certainly not the fault of the adaptor as HD video and sound work perfectly well with the LG. Back to VGA for me unfortunately...
For the price (a very reasonable amount) it's certainly worth the money to try it out, I'd be pretty upset if I had spent £20 on the official Apple one, but for this price it was no big deal, I just now have a spare adaptor with little use...
Build quality seems fair and as written above video quality was good as as was sound (FYI - If using a MacBook Pro make sure to set your audio output to HDMI or you will get nothing but silence even if video is displayed).
on 21 September 2013
It works. It connects a DisplayPort or Mac Thunderbolt port to HDMI and includes sound.

Unlike some others, this is not a plastic box that can crack. It seems to be made from a single piece of resin which is much stronger and more resilient.

Don't forget you'll need an HMDI cable. A cheap one is just as good as an expensive one.
on 22 September 2012
Another of those "at that price I'll take a punt" purchases.

I already have a genuine Apple mini-display-port to DVI adapter, but with three Macbook Pros around the place (family members) and these adapters reduced to a couple of quid, I bought two. These things are tremendously useful to have if you ever give presentations via a DVI projector with your Mac, and if you want to plug in an external DVI monitor, obviously.

This adapter seems pretty well made - bigger than Apple's part, and the cable is longer, solid and well-finished - the small rubber cable strain reliefs have slight moulding marks where Apple's don't, otherwise the finish is the same. The body of the displayport plug is around about 0.8mm wider, 1.5mm thicker and 2mm longer than Apple's, the body of the DVI socket is about 0.5mm thicker, 5mm wider and 7mm longer (all measurements judged by eye, I should add). Apple tend to recess the jackscrew sockets a bit too far on their adapters, meaning it's a struggle to get typical leads' jackscrews to catch and tighten, but this one seemed fine. The DVI socket is of the "I" variety, with the extra blade and four pins which would be used for analogue signals, but the description says that this won't work with an analogue DVI to VGA adapter. Out of curiosity, I tried it anyway, and sure enough got no picture, though it did still recognise the monitor and picked up its ID and resolution specs.

At first try, this didn't work at native resolution with a Dell U2410. The monitor has two DVI inputs, and this was plugged in on DVI-2. The display was recognised OK, the resolution set to 1920x1200, the mac behaved like the display was there, but no picture on the monitor, the monitor said "no signal". Switching the Mac to 1600x1200 made the picture appear. I bought two of these, so I tried both, and they behaved identically. The Apple one worked at 1920x1200 in the same port on the monitor.

HOWEVER, when I plugged the aftermarket adapters into DVI-1 instead of DVI-2, they then worked at all resolutions including 1920x1200. This was repeatable - full res on all inputs with the Apple one, only up to 1600x1200 on DVI-2 on a Dell U2410 using this one. Go figure.

There's rather more than just wires inside these things, and I'm putting the odd behaviour with the U2410 down to something the monitor is telling the adapter differently via DVI-2, and that the Apple and aftermarket adapters differ in interpretation.

Given that Apple's equivalent part is over twenty pounds, any minor niggles have to be offset against paying less than a tenth of that, and I've given it five stars. If this were its original un-reduced price of around seven pounds, I still don't think I'd drop a whole star just because it only works at max res in *one* of my monitor's inputs. I've only had it a week and not used it much, so time will tell if it's reliable.
This is the second Mini Displayport-to-HDMI adapter that I have had to buy. The first was a 'premium' cable from a well known brand, which cost me £25, and left me very disappointed. It was bulky, partly to make room for a great big logo, and the casing split apart after about six months. To be fair, I was using it on a daily basis, but I would expect a premium cable to last for years.

Since that first purchase I read a bit more about the topic, and I came to realise that when it comes to a digital signal, there is not really any point in paying extra for a brand name. Digital transmission is all ones and zeroes - that information will either get through perfectly, or not at all. Granted, there are exceptions for very long cables, but we're only talking about a few inches here!

So if a fancy gold-plated cable will not guarantee a better picture, the only thing worth paying for is build quality. I have to admit, I was really surprised to see that the build quality of this cable was *better* than the brand-name cable. It feels solid, and the seams are completely invisible (it feels like a solid lump of high density plastic). Also, a further unexpected bonus was that (despite the picture here), there was no logo on the cable at all, which makes it look classy and understated.

Picture quality is, needless to say, absolutely perfect. I am very happy with this purchase. If I ever lost this, I would buy the same model again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 November 2011
I got this to connect my 2011 macbook pro to my monitor using it's DVI connector. Have seen quite a few connectors around, but they always seem to be quite expensive for what they are.

I went for this one, and delighted with it. no hassle, simply plugged in to the monitor and laptop, no additional configuration was required, the monitor picked up the display perfectly.

In summary, highly recommended.
Ok so i purchased this adapter to connect a second monitor to my iMac. It was delivered swiftly and to my suprise it was AAA quality as far as the material goes. I would suggest you go ahead and take advantage of the promotion price tag while it lasts and dodge the overpriced cable that Apple sells.
on 9 September 2011
When I received the item it worked fine for a few days, but only if you held it level as it would pull its self out of the plug under its own weight. Then after moving it slightly all connection was lost to the other display and it never worked again. I checked all the other connections and they were all fine and it was just the converter that wasn't working.

DO NOT BUY THIS POORLY DESIGNED AND CHEAPLY MADE ADAPTER, YOU MIGHT AS WELL PAY THE EXTRA £8 FOR THE APPLE ONE AS IT WILL SAVE YOU THE HASSLE.
on 28 October 2011
This was so much cheaper than the one available at the Apple Store, I thought it was worth trying just for the hell of it. But, I was very pleasantly surprised. Seems well made and works fine. Nice one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2015
It is quite frustrating how Apple decided to make the 2013 Macbook and not include a HDMI port, even when the cheapest and most basic of laptops include them. This little adapter thankfully completely eliminates this problem.

The adpater fits securely into the Macbook. I have unintentionally tugged on the adapter a few times, such as when I take my hands off the keyboard. Even with these tugs, the adapter remains securely in place. The item is very compact, so can be carried around anywhere (even in your pocket) when required to give presentations in the office or in an education environment.

The picture quality is brilliant, as can be expected from a HDMI connection. I use a 21" monitor as a second screen with this adapter, and there seems to be no lag in picture whatsover. I also use the adapter to watch movies on my TV, simply only having to unplug my PS4's HDMI and put my Macbook in its place. The sound is also very good. The adapter seems to be of very good build and made to last. Excellent product.
review image review image review image review image
on 18 August 2015
Good quality adapter. I use this with my 13" Dell XPS 2015 laptop and it carries the audio as well as the video to my TV. I didn't have to configure audio output, it just worked! Makes it perfect for streaming movies via Netflix, etc..