on 19 April 2011
We love this book. It has given us a lot of sound advice to help us improve the way we parent our defiant child. It has shown us the whys and wherefores of his behaviour and the direct impact ours has on the defiance. It is clear and easy to follow. He writes in a very comprehensive way, with practical advice and believable scenarios. Highly recommended.
on 5 July 2015
I found this book to be such a help. It's given me an insight into how my parenting of my son has aggravated his defiant behaviour. Parenting is a learning curve but this book has opened my eyes. I now see the benefits in remaining calm and my son has definitely become less defiant over past few days though I will read the book again to recap as there's a lot of information to assimilate. I can't recommend this book enough.
on 7 April 2012
This book is a must for even the most defiant children! It has improved the whole households behaviour and created a happier home. Very impressed.
on 18 July 2014
This book is outstanding. We used it for our 9 year old son who was making family life impossible. very quickly we realised that our behaviours as parents was to blame. Within 24 hours of implementing changes, we saw a big difference. This improved day on day. Written ina clear and non judgemental style. You won't regret buying this book!
on 25 March 2013
What a fabulous book!!! As the parent of two very strong willed children this book has helped my family massively. The author gives so many methods of remaining firm with strong willed, defiant children and lots of advice on how to remain calm and firm in such situations. I have followed every chapter of the book and regularly refer back to it, and as a result understand my children so much better and have a much calmer, positive household. The author doesn't blind his readers with science but simply offers excellent, straight forward easy to follow suggestions with real life scenarios. My whole family has benefited from this book and my children are much more cooperative and happy as a result. The dramatic changes in my family were almost immediate and after reading similar books on children with ODD, would strongly recommend this one as being by far and away the best.
on 23 January 2014
Great read gave me so many useful tips.. I am a primary 1 classroom assistant and have my 4year old son in the classroom with me. Very tough but hopefully this book will help
on 21 May 2012
I really found this book helpful after struggling through the last 11 years and just not understanding why my daughter was so difficult & defiant. After having been referred to psychologists and CAMHS and receiving no support help or advice other than you need to be a strong parent with strong boundary's I decided to try yet another book that said it would help (I was not going to give up!)..and this one certainly has made a difference. A great & helpful plan and a realisation of what you can do to try to avoid confrontation and tantrums, and make life less stressful and much easier & happier. I would strongly recommend this book; I have found it very useful and read & re-read it.
on 24 January 2014
When I started reading this book I was very cynical and didn't think it was going to help. Then I started reflecting on my behaviours as a parent and the influences I had on my daughter, who on the face of it isn't that bad a child but displayed very oppositional behaviour when being asked to do the most basic of tasks at home, then digging herself into major problems - sound familiar? By adopting some of the strategies in the book she is now a much nicer person to be around. I cannot believe the difference in such a short space of time.

If you are prepared to change your behaviours and stick it out, this is the book for you. The book is well written, the authors real world examples go a long way to help understanding of the strategies and how they can be used.

I have even tried them in the classroom with my students and I have to say my job is a lot less stressful as a result. I'm even going to run some Professional Development sessions to my colleagues as a result.
on 23 November 2014
My child seemed difficult to handle and despite trying to discipline him, he remained defiant. I started to feel like I was losing the battle and my sanity! This book gave me a good insight into how your treatment of each individual child needs to vary according to their needs. I saw a difference in my child's behaviour in a relatively short period of time which has helped the entire family!
on 18 July 2015
Not impressed. Doesn't really tell you anything that hasn't already been tried with our little monster. Waste of money.