This second helping is a book (and series when it comes) that I've been really looking forward too. Loved the first one a lot.

Published on 8 Feb 2011 by KM Cook Book Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Bikers' "Mum still knows best" recipes.
A good basic, all round, everyday cook book. Easy to follow recipes. This book is not for the adventurous cook but is a good guide to making from scratch rather than spending money on jars and tins. For example, the pasta sauce is easy to make and is delicious. The book is also nicely set out.
Published on 20 May 2011 by mave

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Second Helping from the Hairy Bikers' Mum's Know Best, 8 Feb 2011

This one is done is the same style and layout as the first. Mixture of recipes from Mum's up and down the country, plus others from Si and Dave. Recipes from home and abroad. Nice little introductions to the recipes. Almost all the recipes have pictures to go with them.

Chapters are:* Comforting Food * Al Fresco* Taste of Home* Lazy Weekends* High Tea* Distant Shores* Posh Nosh* and *Family Classics*.

I would give this book a 4.5 out of 5 because, although I like it I was a little bit disappointed that there aren't more baking recipes, there are a number of cakes but only two biscuits / cookies, and we love a good biccie in our house!

Still if you liked the first book (and even if you've never heard of it), this one is worth a go - it's a great family cook book and I will definitely cook from it.

A taster of recipes from the book are:

Some classics like:
Macaroni Cheese,
Spaghetti Bolognese and
Steamed Syrup Sponge Pudding.

Plus others like:
Mulligatawny Soup,
Beef Olives,
Italian Pear and Chocolate cake and
The Jones Boys' Favourite Chicken & Mushroom Crumble

First recipe tomorrow night - Eve's Pudding - yum.

5.0 out of 5 stars You had me at the toffee apples!!, 21 Feb 2011
What a collection of honest to goodness recipes we have here, page after mouth watering page of delicious creations that demand to be tried and enjoyed. The basic concept of this book is to publish an array of recipes that mum would have cooked. Wholesome nourishing belly fillers with a surprisingly basic list of ingredients. My greedy little fingers could hardly turn the pages with excitement and this latest offering from Si and Dave did not disappoint. Containing eight distinct sections this book promises dishes for every palate.

1. Comforting food.
This section bursts into life with a fantastic tomato soup with fried cheese sandwiches. That's enough read no further I could live on that but no there's more: Sausage casserole, mamas curry, sweet and sour potatoes, Hargreaves meat and potato pie ( feeds twelve in case the local football team drops by!) and homemade fish fingers to name but a few.
2. Al fresco.
I thought this would be all salads and BBQ food but no: Chicken Kiev, spiced potted beef, minced beef pinwheels ( yummy!) mud pie and homemade lemonade. Not a lettuce leaf to be seen.
3. Taste of home.
This is a fantastic chapter with some of the highlights being: Macaroni cheese, smashed up chicken, welsh cakes and a beautiful dutch pea soup. My home never tasted like this!!
4. Lazy weekends.
For when you have some time on your hands and want to enjoy the whole culinary experience this chapter is a must try: Braised steaks, Old fashioned rabbit stew ( yes I did actually!) Jean's chicken pie and roast belly of pork being some of the more succulent highlights.
5. High tea
This is a chapter of contrasts containing both something to really get your teeth into and the more luscious of recipes. Like egg and bacon pie and luscious lemon Swiss roll or corned beef and onion pie and eccles cakes. What are you waiting for?
6. Distant shores.
My least favourite of the sections except of course for the toffee apples.... toffee apples, yes, toffee apples. I will try the duck a l'orange though.
7. Posh nosh.
For when you want to impress, roll out a double cheese souffles, lamb cutlets in pastry or stuffed marrow. For me though it was the fillet steak stuffed with goats cheese and we won't mention the pigeon ..... or will we?
8. Family classics.
Now here's a section that will appeal to all: Deep filled chicken and mushroom pie, spicy south Indian chicken curry, Italian pear and chocolate cake and eve's pudding to name but a few.Lots of chicken dishes in here easy and very tasty.

I'm not the most adventurous cook in the world or even in my kitchen but I do like dishes that will fill up and satisfy the hungriest of bellies, this book abounds with such dishes. I now have a quickly expanding repertoire along with a waistline but best not to mention that! This review mentions a mere smattering of the recipes contained therein so if you have any questions as to what may or may not be there, well ....... go buy the book I'm busy cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cook book for many occasions (and occupations!), 9 Feb 2011
Being a student at University, I won't mind to admit that a) my budget can be rather limited sometimes and b) I am not the best cook in the world. Yet this book solves both dilemmas, as most of the dishes are made up of ingredients that are easily sourced and cheap, and all of the recipes are explained in a fashion simple enough for the average cook, but with enough detail to not condescend.

I got this book yesterday on pre-order, and it has been great for me, as well as my picky flatmates. I didn't purchase the first book, but my Mum had borrowed the original a few times, so sent me the follow up. I wonder if she was trying to tell me something about the quality of my food?!

Anyway, the recipes themselves are simple, concisely worded and most, not all, come with diagrams to see (hopefully!) what the finished article will look like. You can tell that the editors went to a lot of trouble to search for the best of the hairy bikers recipes, as well as the best from mums around the country. No recipe is too hard, or out of place.

Since I have had it only a short while, I will only give you a bit of detail on the two dishes I have so far made. But, trust me, the rest of the dishes look very edible and lovely too.

I made a "Mamas Curry" and a fruity chocolate cake. Both of these recipes and all the others include short intros to get "a feel" for them, and for you to decide if it is too much of an undertaking or not. I have made curry before, so their take was easy to make and the suggested ingredients were cheap and not too different from the standard curry, so no complaints.However I had never made the pear and chocolate cake before, but it turned out great due to good directions and some luck!

Overall a great cooking book for students on a budget (as many of the recipes are cheap as mentioned), but also as a general purpose cookbook, as other recipes look a bit more expensive and hard to make but this may suit others looking for a challenge or something for that get-together.

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy!!!!!, 7 Feb 2011
M. Harris - See all my reviews
I have had this book on pre-order for some time and have been looking forward to it arriving, I have to say its just a mouth watering as the first 'mums knows best' book.
Packed with great recipes and lovely pictures cant wait to start cooking
Well done boys you've done it again ...Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Please sir can I have some more?, 5 Mar 2011
What's there to say? 2 big dudes, great bikes and they cook, what's not to like? We now own 4 of their great books and this one to be honest is filled with nothing but stuff you would want to cook. No pretence, glamour or them silly French star award things (or the chef's ego to match them) this is all about great wholesomeness and food that makes you beg for more even though you feel as stuffed as a pig at some medieval shindigs.

This is what home cooking is all about as far as we're concerned. Si & Dave offer something slightly different in terms of home classics and food from around the world that, and this is key, importantly you are able to cook as all the ingredients can be sourced in any of the branded supermarkets. There's nothing worse than trying to find one of them key components that gram for gram cost more than the family car.
Try the Kroketten and Lil's Kiev they are just fantastic.

To sum this book up: It's full of mouth drooling food that just wants to give you a great big hug!

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Best, 22 Mar 2011
Mums know best, the original book is in my opinion is the best, I was not disapointed in this book, but I felt that it wasn't a patch on the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantactic Book full of lovely recipes, 13 Mar 2011
This is a lovely book. I bought it for a friends birthday and now I'm ordering two more!! one for myself and one for my mum for mothers day. I really recommend it if you like good home cooked food.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have recipe book for food fans!, 11 Mar 2011
J. Furber (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on the strength of the TV programme which we thoroughly enjoy.
Having received the book and flicked through the many many recipes i am mightily impressed!
Page after page of simple yet mouth watering recipes, i cant wait for my other half to produce some if not all of these gems!
A bargain at the price & free postage with Amazon, i highly recommend this book if like me you love good homely food.

5.0 out of 5 stars More delicious family recipes!, 1 Mar 2011
Cha Cha (Aylesbury, England) - See all my reviews
Most of the recipes I have tried in this book have worked beautifully. My favourite is the chicken with mushroom sauce (I made it twice, using different types of dried mushrooms)! It is fantastic, I was licking the pan clean, it was that good!!!
I have made the coffee and walnut cake twice (...yes, in a week! We ate the first cake so fast we decided we needed more!)
I have made the mushroom soup, the fat free cake and the fish mornay gratin, all very good!
The Cholent didn't quite turn out the way it was meant to be but I cooked it in the slow cooker instead of the oven, maybe this is where I went wrong (but it smelt great and we had a laugh, I think my dumplings melted away!!).
There are so many more recipes I can't wait to try, all coming from different backgrounds.I love the little intro and stories attached to the recipes. It gives them soul.
The oxtail stew looks great too, I'll try that one next.
Of all my many cookery books, these two "Mums -still- know best" are the ones I use the most. I have a big family to feed and we go through a lot of food. The ingredients to make these meals are affordable and available everywhere.
Another great fun and delicious book and a brilliant series on tv! Well done to the Hairy Bikers!

4.0 out of 5 stars hairy bikers, 1 Mar 2011
i like this new book by dave and si the recipes are easy to follow with step by step guides, but i don't think it is as good as the first mum knows best