4.0 out of 5 stars How nursing once was.
This book by Ms Prentis, gives a good account of nursing in the 20's and 30's, and if you are a nurse reading this book, it makes for a good "eye opener" into the trials and tribulations of a student nurse in her day. Nursing wasn't her "chosen" profession, it was chosen for her by her mother.
There wasn't much time for theory work in her day it was done by...
Published on 10 Mar. 2003 by cyndyrussell

3.0 out of 5 stars Young nurses
Young nurses would benefit from reading this. It highlights the discipline that student nurses required to go through myself included. Nursing was a wonderful experience when we were attached to a hospital.
Published 19 months ago by Mrs. P. M. G. Hutchison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars How nursing once was., 10 Mar. 2003
cyndyrussell (United Kingdon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nurse in Time (Paperback)
There wasn't much time for theory work in her day it was done by experiential learning, (alot of time the hard way), under some matriarchal matrons, who had the wrath of God if any of the students did anything wrong.
This book deserves respect of the greatest kind by any nurse reading it and she/he should compare to todays nursing. Others who aren't nurses should read and realise what a hard task nursing really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing and interesting read, 15 April 2011
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading A Nurse in Time very much. Evelyn Prentis (though no longer with us) really brings to life her reluctant entry into nursing, telling of all the tough experiences along the way until qualifying, together with great friendship with her fellow trainee nurses, who really were there for each other, true friends throughout. Heartwarming, enjoyable, told with humour, and I shall look forward to the forthcoming book, A Nurse in Action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - and often funny!, 26 April 2011
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
Originally published in the 1970's, this book by the late Evelyn Prentis, is an excellent, illuminating - and often funny! - account of nursing in the 1930s. I was completely enthralled throughout the whole book. The re-print of the next installment is due this July and I will certanly be buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you really want to bring back the good ole days?, 28 Feb. 2013
Mrs. D. HANSON (University of Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
This book is excellently written and easy to read. It is the story of a student nurse in the 1930s, having had her profession decided for her by her mother. As she points out from the very beginning, she is not a 'born nurse' and the trials and stresses she endures are openly shared with the reader.
For those interested in comparison to current nursing practice, it makes further interesting reading. So many times I hear how 'nursing should bring back matron' and positive references to the good ole days. However, Evelyn Prentis clearly shows this isn't an obvious solution. Matron may have meant someone was accountable, but it fed a culture of heirarchy and bullying, which combined with more cleaning duties than actual nursing/ caring means that patient care is detached and cold. Our standards have definitely improved! For example, just one paragraph mentions a group of masked men who come and steal babies from the children's ward, but that's it, and the reader is left with a host of questions as to who they are, what happened next, etc. This event didn't even appear to raise an eyebrow from the author who spends most of her time being concerned with getting a cigarette and something to eat, whilst avoiding the wrath of anyone more senior.
A well written insight into a harsh reality that I am grateful to read about rather than endure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of the genre, 7 July 2011
Betty Libro (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
Thoroughly enjoying all these medical autobiogs at the moment (not even my job, just really enjoying them!) this is one of the best. Self deprecating, witty, a cut above the rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nurse in Time - must read!, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
I found this book about 28 years ago on special offer for £2,I don't generally read true stories but I was attracted by the cover, a comcical one. From page one I could not put it down and then was driven to find and read the rest (all for full price and worth every penny!) which were equally unputdownable. Well written with a lovely sense of humour, a real journey, sometimes making you sad but mostly making you smile and sometimes laugh outload. In case you haven't guessed I loved these books and I am over the moon they have been reissued. You just can't help cheering Evelyn Prentis on, she admits she's not perfect which just makes her more accessable. There is always one book that sticks in your mind and for me this is it. I had no interest in nursing, true stories or the particular era but I loved every minute. This series is a gem and well worth a read. The other books are A Nurse in Action A Nurse and Mother (Originally a Nurse in Part - I think) and the last book A Nurse Nearby. If there are anymore I don't know about I would love to read them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nurse in Time, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
One of the Best books I have read.I loved her humour, even through the hard times the nurses endured in the 1930s.The antics, her and the nurses in her group got up to,did make me laugh.
I was totally in the moment as Evelyn went through her nurse training.I would highly recommend this book, especially if like me you have been in nursing.I am a retired nurse of the 1960s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nursing in times gone by, 13 May 2012
Shaya (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
What a wonderful book. I trained as a nurse in 1979 and have always wondered how it was in years past.
This is a story about the Authors time training as a nurse in the 1930's and wow what a difference to my training. Some of the things they had to do in those days. I would never made it for three weeks let alone 3 years!! I thought our ward Sisters were evil, they were pussy cats compared to the 30's Sisters. The verbal abuse they suffered from Sisters Staff Nurses and of course the awful Matron they got to see regularly for misdemeanour's such as being 3 minutes late for duty and talking to patients. I had it easy...very easy!
Looking forward to reading my way through her books, next on the list A Nurse in Action

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
This is an excellent book - it was hard to put it down until it was finished! It was a lovely link to the past and i would recommend to anyone interested in the subject!

4.0 out of 5 stars reminder of how thing used to be..., 21 Mar. 2013
Adele204 (lancashire, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nurse in Time (Paperback)
An enjoyable reminder of how things used to be for the nursing profession ...how things have progressed.
A good easy, witty and entertaining book reminding us of what nursing use to be like before all the advancements with the NHS and medical knowledge of today.
Look forward to reading other books in this genre

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›