5.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed
I've already got two of the 1TB versions of this, but having just moved to Mac machines, the 1TB were not large enough for Time Machine to backup the system and my files. So I simply purchased the 3TB version without worrying about other brands.

Published on 23 July 2011 by Gupster

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty drive
After working for 10 days the drive stopped loading on the computer, It isn't visible on any level even in Disk Utilities.

I waited for 2 months for this item to be available on amazon, its frustrating the drive has failed so quickly. I'm currently waiting for amazon to restock the drives so i can get a replacement.

I guess the only true way of...
Published on 14 Sep 2012 by CN

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what's needed, 23 July 2011
Gupster (Wilts, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD Elements 3TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black (Personal Computers)

Very happy with the unit, was able to format to Mac OS Extended easily and copy the data over and Time Machine has been backing up without issue now fine.

Small, quite, reasonable speed, more than happy.

Should not I've never used these for live data, just transferring data between machines or backups where the speed was not critical. When these things have occurred I've been happy with the speed, but couldn't comment on how well they handle when you're working off files stored on the units. Don't see why it should be much of an issue though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital External Hard Drive, 18 Sep 2012
Roger Loat (UK) - See all my reviews
I now have 3 of these drives USB connected to my desk-top Mac. A 1TB; 2TB and now a 3TB.
I do a lot of HD video editing which is storage hungry.
These drives sit stacked on my desk and I forget them. They are completely silent, well, in a totally quiet room it might be possible to detect a very slight humm.
They look good with a simple 'brick with rounded corners' design in plain, glossy, piano black finish.
They could not be simpler to set up. Just plug them in and there they are - an immediate extension of your storage space.
They blink a little white light to tell you they are a alive and active - (unlike one review I read which said that the 3TB did not, it does)
The only 'con' which is just a minor annoyance:
The blinking light is at the same end as the cable sockets which means the cables loop on the desk in full view if I want to see the light.
For my setup I would have preferred the light to be on the opposite end to the cables so they could vanish over the desk edge out of site.
A really nice piece of kit at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value..., 29 Feb 2012
I've had this for approx 2 months now & I'm quite impressed. I have hammered it with storage of video & software files (I've only got 40gb free space left) & not had any problems, it's as fast at transfers as any other USB2 drive I have used. It's a little bulky & heavier than the non powered portable drives but hey, it is a 3 Terabyte drive after all. You just can't get that size of storage in a smaller portable drive. All in all very good value, I'd definitely buy another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one problem!, 24 Mar 2013
This is the first 3TB drive I have purchased and it will not be the last, to add to the 4 x 2TB drives I have filled! The 2TB drives I rate 5*.

The only reason the 3TB is 4* is because the plug on the mini transformer is American/Continental fit and although optional alternatives, including U.K. 3 pin are shown in the instructions, they are not included in the pack.

Required a trip to Asda to get an adapter. Only circa £3.00 but annoying! Same problem with a pair of Sony wireless headphones I also purchased on Amazon.

Did not receive any comment from Amazon, so I assume nobody at Amazon ever reads the reviews!

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty drive, 14 Sep 2012

I guess the only true way of ensuring your backups are safe is to buy multiple drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Reliable and Works Seamlessly with Apple TV, 22 April 2012
I've got this 3TB filled full of movies and tv shows purely for Apple TV. It's plugged into my iMac upstairs and constantly runs 24/7....2 months in and I can safely say it's a great hard drive.
I spent a lot of time looking at different versions and as this has dedicated power I decided to go for it.

I'm streaming using Apple TV perfectly. I can also sit on my iPad and watch anywhere in the house so long as the WIFI will get signal.

It is a little larger than I anticipated, so it's sat behind my desk completely hidden away. It does make a slight noise but as it's in my office I couldn't care really.

Go for it if you're considering this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - reliable and convenient, 23 May 2013
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been getting Western Digital external hard drive for the past few years ranging from their 1 & 2 TB passport sized external hard drives and needed something bigger. As my previous hard drives were reliable, I opted for this one. As the drive is a bigger capacity it needs a separate power supply so don't expect a particularly light portable drive but it's size is pretty small and the memory storage is a perfect size for backing up my movies. Being a USB 2.0, transfer rates are OK but nowhere near SATA or ESATA speeds. Great for backing up work though and small enough to store somewhere safe. I've had this one for a few months now and it's been working very reliably. I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it promises, 24 May 2012
There isn't much you can say about this product, everything you need to know is right there in the title. Delivery was quick and cheap. The Hard Drive can work with any Windows operating system but needs reformatting to work with any Mac systems, unfortunately I don't own one of those systems so I can't say if that works well. The USB wires that come with it can be known to be a little dodgy so if you're having troubles try swapping the cable for another one, I had to do this and haven't had any troubles since. Overall good service and a well packaged product.

4.0 out of 5 stars WD 3Tb Elements Drive, 2 Aug 2011
Great drive, but here are the Pros n Cons:
PROS - Great capacity - simple plug it in and start copying!
- Good (but not excellent) price.
CONS - The four rubber 'feet' have all come off not a show-stopper but poor show for such an industry leader.
- Needs an external power supply (I knew this before but still...)
- If you have a Mac, make sure you format it first on the Mac with NTFS so it will be able to write to it!
Other than that I'm quite happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be wary of the Western Digital warranty process.., 29 April 2012
Purchased this with a view to storing my iTunes library as I have now found my iMac's internal hard drive limiting at 1TB due to the amount of HD video I have.

The drive itself has transfer speeds to be expected and has an attractive but simple design allowing it to blend in nicely with my other electronics.

Unfortunately, I can't say much for the reliability of the drive. The first one died within 6 weeks and the condition of the replacement's housing made it look like it'd been thrown off a cliff. A rocky cliff. Disappointed with the Western Digital refurbishment quality control and the replacement drive has also failed.

Western Digital also require you to leave credit card details as a deposit to get your drive replaced through them and - although they send out a replacement with no questions asked and allow you to return the faulty unit within 30 days - they expect you to pay courier charges to do so. As such, I'm currently £10 out of pocket after the return of my second device and don't have much hope for the replacement to be an infallible unit.

Everyone claims it's silly to have an issue with a hard drive manufacturer as you can always find someone who has a horror story whichever company is involved. Personally I will be avoiding Western Digital devices in the future where possible.