5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Real McCoy
Published on 19 Jun 2005 by S. W. Ladd

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album - but a bit of a con!
I saw an advert for this CD and decided that I had to have it. The album is excellent and is a must for any music collection!

On searching for the title on Amazon I discovered two editions - one from 2005 and one from 2011 (Digitally Remastered apparently - although surely this would have happened on the 2005 version?!?)
I decided to pay for the more...
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Monkey

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% Real McCoy, 19 Jun 2005
S. W. Ladd - See all my reviews
Brilliant single CD. Contrary to views expressed by the music lover from Portsmouth UK all the tracks are 'original' apart from the classy re-interpretation of Xanadu. Horace Wimp is simply a marvellous remaster that adds a totally new dimension to an underrated track. The included version of Xanadu is different to the chart hit which featured Olivia Newton John but personally I think it is better. It features the vocals of the Jeff Lynne and originally appeared on the ELO Flashback box set of 2000. As Jeff Lynne composed the song it could be argued that his version is really the 'original'! A real treat for lapsed ELO fans is the inclusion of the single 'Alright' from the now hard to come by 'Zoom' album. I can thoroughly recommend the purchase of this release if only for the quite superb quality of the remastering. If only all remasters were done with such obvious loving care and appreciation of the source analogue tapes! Perfect for the car. For an 'at home' ELO compilation then the 3CD 'Flashback' competetively priced box set is probably the order of the day for those wishing to delve a little deeper into the work of the Electric Light Orchestra.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album - but a bit of a con!, 13 Jun 2011

I decided to pay for the more expensive 2011 copy - How stupid was that! When I received the cd, it came in a cardboard sleeve and sure enough it said that it was made in 2011. However when I removed the cd from the slip case I discovered that the disc and case insert state that it is infact just the 2005 release with a shiny new cardboard case! This cardboard case is apparently worth around the same as the cd itself since it nearly doubled the price of the original release.

My advice - if you're looking to buy this album, don't bother - buy the original 2005 version. It's cheaper and is the same CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another compilation for this under rated band, 29 Jun 2005
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
It's really not cool to like ELO is it? Even now, after various film directors have used their music for soundtracks and admitted that they, like they really dug them all along, it's not going to do your street cred any good admitting that you think "Wild West Hero "is a wonderfully poignant song about the power of dreams or that "Turn To Stone" makes you so giddy with delight that you would kiss your Grand Mothers whiskery chin if only she was still alive. Guess what? I lost my rarely tangible grasp on any pretensions to street cred years ago so I feel quite secure in proclaiming that I think ELO are fantastic and that this album is a pretty good overview of their career.
That said it misses some real gems out. No "Can't Get It out Of My Head" or "10538 Overture" (The bands early years are sparsely represented here) or no "Ticket to the Moon". It's not a definitive collection by any means. There are far more complete over views of their career available. "Light Years" or "The Ultimate Collection", both double CD, s spring to mind. But for a single album this doesn't do too bad a job of representing what a terrific singles band they were, particularly in the mid 70,s, and showcasing what a superb and under rated songwriter Jeff Lynne was.
He was capable of writing some right clunkers though and it could be argued and I would certainly be up for the challenge, that one or two of the songs on this album hardly represent the band in their best light (No pun intended) No song that has rock n, roll in the title should ever be allowed to pollute the airwaves and The annoyingly jaunty "Rock And Roll Is King" with it's gibberish vocals is no exception. Summarily "Xanadu" is way too slick and polished, lacking the heady organic grace of their earlier material and signalling a transition to a more synthesised sound that would lead to the "Time" album. Though that did have some decent songs on it.
I loved the punk and post punk period; I love innovative challenging music or exciting fresh bands. But mainly I just love great song writing. Jeff Lynne wrote great songs and the band performed them superbly. I think there are better encapsulations of their output available, but this isn't bad and will hopefully lead to an overdue reappraisal of this most maligned of bands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD but buy the cheaper 2005 one., 7 Mar 2012
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I saw what another reviewer had said about the outer sleeve having a 2011 date but the inner disc having a 2006 date. I thought perhaps it was a one off error so decided to order the 2011 'remastered' version.

Mine was exactly the same as the other reviewers so I decided to phone Sony Music and find out what was going on. I received an email back the same day telling me that the 2005/6 disc is exactly the same as the 2011 disc and there has been no remastering for the 2011 release. So the disc you buy was NOT remastered in 2011.

However the disc does contain all of ELO's best work and the sound quality is fine. If you love ELO then you will not be disappointed. The only alternative I considered was The Classic Albums Collection but that was hugely expensive when compared to this greatest hits CD.

So the bottom line is that whether you order the 2005/6 version or the 2011 version you will be getting exactly the same CD, the new one only has a new card cover slip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories Bathed in Golden Light, 6 Dec 2007
Terry Connell "Music Lover" (London UK) - See all my reviews
I love ELO. They bring back memories of a very happy childhood in the 1970s and the power and beauty of the work still shines very strongly today. I find it very emotional listening to them having lost my mother very recently and "Mr Blue Sky" transports me back to a golden summer day in the late 70s with all the joys of being a boy-child with forests, bikes and love all around. Music is all about memories and glory and ELO provide both with abundance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, magical, nostalgic, 29 Aug 2007
Brian Levine - See all my reviews
The fact that Mr Blue Sky is one of the most used TV ad and film songs, is indicative of what ELO do: theiy give you exactly what it says on the tin and they do it in a unique way that combines falsetto, electronic experimentation, Jeff Lynne and superb album covers.

The Diary Of Horace Wimp is a stroke of genius: as far as I'm aware there is no other song comparable to it in structure or tone. Telephone Line is simple and beautiful, and Wild West Hero an oddity but an immaculate and atmospheric one.

If you've never heard of Jeff Lynne or ELO, it's time you acquainted yourself, and I can think of no better way to start than this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent purchase., 12 July 2010
I cannot recommend this album enough to any ELO fan out there.
Don't waste eight pounds on the "Light Years" album, as it is virtually the same as this put onto two disks.
This album holds all the great tracks like "Hold On Tight", "Mr. Blue Sky" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman", as well as some of my personal favourites like "Turn To Stone".
A great purchase, 5/5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome band, 19 April 2007
I listened to this music as I was growing up...liked it then but probably never gave it too much consideration...busy climbing trees, riding bikes etc.

Listening to it now though really brings home how awesome this band were...great writing, great delivery bringing us a living definition of 'timeless classics'.

Underrated? I don't think so... for me, and I guess many others, this music is part of an exclusive list of tracks that will always define a time and a place in our lives.

If you're young and not heard it before just listen and have fun - I'm sure thats all JL and the band were/are about.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album!, 13 Mar 2006
Kurt A. Johnson (North-Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
The Electric Light Orchestra was a favorite part of my youth - listening to their many hits on the radio. And now, I can have their very best on CD. This great album does indeed have all of their very best, including Hold On Tight and Rock And Roll Is King (two of my most favorite). But, I must admit that it had some songs that I do not remember having heard before, including Wild West Hero and Confusion - and these are now a couple of new favorites!
Yes, as you can tell, I love this album. I like the selection of songs on this CD, and with the digital remastering they all sound great! If you are a fan of great rock `n' roll, and love that ELO sound, then this is the album for you. I love this album and highly recommend it to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good ELO stuff!, 27 Jun 2006
Mark (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This album is very good, and I am a young guy who thinks these are very good and produce some good stuff! I bought this for my dad but I like it also! I heard that these were a very under rated band, well how come, most of this album is better than some of the music today that is in the top 10! Anyways, buy it and try it.