on 1 November 2011
Steve Gates, a negotiation consultant, takes a balanced approach - exemplified in his conceptual tool, "the negotiation clock face" - that makes this manual valuable for negotiators with a wide range of skills and approaches. Gates is refreshingly honest. He incorporates the lessons of a half-dozen other books on the topic, and renders most other texts on the subject obsolete. Though the book is not necessarily the right stand-alone tool for raw beginners, getAbstract recommends its tough lessons to moderately and extensively experienced negotiators well as to anyone looking to become more realistic about business.
on 5 January 2011
Having been in senior commercial roles most of my career it was refreshing to pick up a book that spells out the negotiation process in real rather than academic terms. There was nothing here that I did not agree with (on reflection!) and much that was either new to me or added context to strategies and tactics that I have been using for years. I rarely give feedback, but in this case am delighted to as it will add value to practitioners regardless of which side of the table you are sat on.

If you want a purely academic read, I would recommend The Art and Science of Negotiation
on 7 October 2013
I bought this book to reflect and improve on my own skills, and found it really effective. Steve Gates has managed to distill years of hard won experience both delivering training workshops and lots of blue chip buying into a simple to understand model. The Clockface just makes sense! and as I look back on my own years in business my negotiations make so much more sense, I wish I had this knowledge years ago, what a difference it would have made. Some of Steves words and sections are hard going at times, but after a 2nd read it kind of made more sense. Its a consultant talking on paper so you'll need to forgive him for using 10 words when 2 will do. But do persevere as its well worth it.

A real reference manual.
on 30 December 2010
A great book, written in a way that makes it very easy to read. This is a book that will make a difference to the way I negotiate. It brings together many ideas from other books in a clear way that I will embrace.
on 6 April 2016
Given this was 'supposedly' written by someone who has made his living by training others to negotiate I was not that impressed. It's very academic/theoretical and really negotiation is a very practical thing - I would have expected a lot more real world examples rather than the rather forgettable track it takes.

I think the book takes on an air to impress making itself out to be a lot more than it is and should be taken at face value.I'm not saying it's bad but I would have expected more from a 'negotiation guru'.
on 28 May 2012
I really cannot recommend this book enough.
Of all the negotiation/self improvement books I have read this has to be the best. It breaks down the subject matter into easily understandable points and supports each of these points with excellent real world examples. This book is for anyone who wants to come away from a negotiation, meeting, discussion, debate better off than they do now by improving their understating and practice of negotiating skills.
on 17 May 2012
This book is an excellent look at a pragmatic, real life approach to negotiation. The models explained are practical, easy to understand and brought to life through relevant examples. It helps you to understand both the science and art of negotiation, with a window into the emotions that drive human behaviour. A great practical guide to a skill that is often over complicated by others!
on 23 October 2013
It is written in such a clear way, such that it is like having a conversation with a very experienced and well informed negotiator who wants to share all their wisdom. This type of book can be hard to read but this one is brought to life with examples and framework diagrams to make it easier to digest.

I'd recommend it.
on 25 May 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It was a well written, thoroughly useful guide which will help you negotiate effectively. I have read other books on this subject but the negotiation book really does give you practical advice which I feel I can apply immediately.
on 3 January 2014
The cases were interesting but a bit simple. A bookm like this needs some real testers and perhaps even some roleplays that can be acted out in groups. All a bit turgid.