4.0 out of 5 stars Not just any office chair
Published on 4 April 2012 by Mr Stephen D Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars for exercise but not an office chair
Published 19 months ago by Vee Baker

2.0 out of 5 stars for exercise but not an office chair, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Office Fitness Exercise Ball Chair with Adjustable Back Rest + DVD - Black (Misc.)
Read the description carefully before ordering this chair. It is a chair designed to support the ball when doing ball-based exercises. It is NOT a chair that you can use to sit at your desk while working. I found this out AFTER delivery and it is a pain to return as the box is so large. The assembled chair height is 22 inches (as stated in the description) so unless you are age 7 this will not be any use for sitting at your desk and working. I tried inserting a larger ball into the frame but it still did not raise me up enough and once you use a larger ball that means the back rest is low too so you get no support from that. The instruction leaflet cover has a picture of a woman using the chair at a desk but that must be a specially made item to fit this chair. I am returning mine as I wanted a chair that I could use when sitting for work - this is not that chair. It may be fine for exercise purposes but I do feel the description and instructions are misleading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just any office chair, 4 April 2012
I bought one of these because I wanted to avoid the slouch factor. It was dead easy to put together, and you can adjust the seat for comfort by the amount of air you put into the ball. Tough construction but I managed to puncture the ball (which is a bespoke size????) but the vendor was more than helpful and came back to me within hours. I will be buying the leg extenders to give me a little more height but am more than happy with the item. Get one and try it, they are a big improvement on the usual office chair experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly comfortable!, 26 Aug 2011
I bought this chair because like most people I spend a LOT of time at my desk, and having done some internet research, this one appealed for two reasons: 1) It's good for posture and can eliminate back and neck pain (because it conditions core muschles and will stop me slouching) and 2) you can actually exercise on it!

Initial impressions are good - it's very comfortable, and so far I haven't had any problems transitioning from my old chair (I went for the 'backrest' model to help with this, though it looks like that will be easy to remove if I want to at a later date). I'm definitely sitting up straighter, and I'm actually finding it quite invigorating to be able to fit in the occasional set of crunches or press-ups at my desk. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a revelation, 16 Dec 2011
I enjoy everything about this chair. I found it in the midst of a 5-week period of acute back pain.
Someone recommended a swiss ball to sit on as sitting was impossible with my problem being in the sacrum.
Sitting on the swiss ball changed my world and enabled me to carry on with my job. The only thing was its not the most practical of seats when trying to move around a busy office. I couldn't believe it when I came accross this on Amazon. I'm on it everyday at work, the back support is great - I have mine right forward. It gets a lot of comments, people are so amused. I pumped too much air into it at first so it was too hard to sit on, after releasing some air though I couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for people with coccyx and lower back pain!, 9 Nov 2011
CJ Savernake (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This chair is surprisingly comfortable, and has alleviated a great deal of my lower back pain and coccyx pain. It is easy to assemble, and reasonably sturdy. I've had a couple of physios recommend sitting on a Swiss ball instead of an office chair, but didn't find this a very practical option because a) my back still seemed to have a tendency to slump, even while sitting on the ball and b) the only way to move the ball is to roll it - in which case you have to stop sitting on it, or you'll roll off. With an office chair, you really want to just be able to push it whereever you want it to be. This design, having a back rest and casters, avoids those two problems, and I find it much better than a normal chair for sitting in

I'm giving it four stars rather than 5 because:

- the only way to adjust the seat height is to inflate the ball to a greater or lesser extent. I seem to be lucky in that the combined seat-ball height seems to be perfect for my desk / arm / leg length anyway, but I can see that if I were a different height (specifically, I am 5'2"), this might be a problem.

- the back rest is extremely difficult to adjust - very tight, and wants to spring back into place with great force. I needed my husband to hold it in place while I locked it, and even then we struggled. So, I really doubt that anyone could adjust the back rest while actually sitting on the chair. Which means that you just have to adjust and readjust by trial and error, and hope that you eventually get it right (I did in just three tries - hurrah!)

- I wonder how much of the benefit of sitting on a Swiss ball, in terms of toning your core muscles, is lost by having it on this stable platform? Yes, the chair is much more comfortable (at least, I find it to be so), but the reason physios recommend Swiss balls for sitting is that the instability means you have to work your core muscles. I'm not sure much core-toning is going on with this ball-chair, although they do make the claim in the product description. I don't know what kind of clinical evidence they have to back this up.

Despite the above, I still recommend this chair to anyone who finds it painful to sit in a normal office chair for extended periods - it is much more comfortable than any other chair I have tried (apart from a reclining stuffed easy chair, which isn't very practical for office work! :) )

4.0 out of 5 stars Good office chair for extended sitting time, 30 Oct 2011
L. Siu (UK) - See all my reviews
Good product - easy to assemble and use. I really like the back rest as it allows you to sit much further back rather than 'perching on the edge'. Rated 4 stars as you do need to keep re-pumping the air in every couple of months or so as the rubber 'relaxes' with use. There is also a seat cosy which is a great idea specially in warmer weather and bare legs!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product but ball should be bigger, 18 Nov 2013
It was easy to put together, but I used my own swiss ball as the one provided was far too low.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOooooooo comfy, 29 Jun 2013
Firstly I should say that I never bother writing customer reviews and it is only because I was so delighted with this product that I have done so on this occasion.

Suffering from lower back / lumbar pain, I spent ages looking online for a new chair and at one stage was even considering spending 800 on a Herman Miller Chair. But then by complete coincidence I saw an exercise ball chair on TV and started looking at those and decided to order one.

It arrived quickly, easy to assemble (by my boyfriend!) and I will never buy a normal office chair again. The 'seat' is comfy and the back support is perfect for anyone suffering from a bad back or who has to sit for long periods at a desk. This is the only chair I have owned that has made me sit up correctly without either a) eventually slumping forwards after a little while or b) feeling like I'm sitting bolt upright as stiff as a poker.

Fab value for money, great design - don't hesitate to get one.

Only tiny moan is that the bolts designed to go underneath the chair to fasten on the bar at the front would not screw on - we left them off and it doesn't seem to be affecting the chair's performance in any way. I'm sure the company would have replaced the chair if I had asked them to but I didn't want to part with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 21 Sep 2013
easy to put together, very comfortable does help with sitting straight with lower back although have to be aware of shoulders not slumping when working very long hours,not the most attractive looking chair but wouldn't want to do my sewing work without it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The parts do not line up so impossible to put together if you get one in this condition. Very difficult to return., 26 April 2013
Mrs S L Smith (London, England) - See all my reviews
This item looks good but after spending an enormous amount of time and effort and inviting others to try, it was impossible to line up the screws with the holes in the plate and therefore impossible to put together - the screws would not thread. Trying to get it collected by the delivery company is even more difficult with them not collecting on the day scheduled (having waited in from 7 am until 7 pm) and then a flimsy apology and a re-collection date the next day with no fixed window for collection - another day waiting and hoping that someone might arrive to collect the item. What if they don't ... another day waiting. The stress involved is simply not worth the effort.