on 29 May 2011
At first i though the writing was a little bit "unpolished"?, if thats the right word and the storyline a bit thin. But as the story progressed i found myself becoming interested in the characters , there are no dull moments and by the time i had finished it (in one sitting ) i was hooked .Ive downloaded Book two and if its as good as the first one part three will quickly follow. An excellent first novel. The only reason i dont give it five stars is that i thought the first section of the book dealing with Governor Adair's abduction wasnt quite up to the standard of the rest of the book
on 23 September 2012
After reading the reviews decided to download it glad it was free very disappointed wont be reading the rest of the series I didn't think they used words like "come on you Guys! " and " wow! " in "ancient times" I almost expected Kael to say......" like ,totally awesome "
on 11 February 2012
I accept that many first books don't live up to expectations in terms of storyline and pacing. However, these books kept me reading right to the end and I didn't need to snooze through long and endless explanations put in to get the word count up. It was well-paced, well-structured and well written. I also wasn't constantly aggravated by the lack of attention to spellings as is often the case on kindle books (attention to these things is everything) although the occasional one crept in.

I actually paid for books 2 and 3 without realising that book 4 was a free compilation of the trilogy but, actually didn't mind because the author gave me value for money. I will more than likely follow up when additional adventures are released.
on 30 December 2013
"What IS that bird shape, where DID all the water come from and how is everything connected". Tesar throws the reader straight in to the story, but before answering any of these questions, more are asked.

I was hooked from the first chapter of this book and found myself just wanting to read more and more. (Now impatiently waiting for book 6). What's great about these books is that you can read them at face value and suddenly be hit with an "Oh...So that's why" moment.

It feels as if there are many stories that could be told about many of the characters and we are just getting a glimpse at the key players. Tesar has picked a perfect balance of character development vs. story telling. I personally love the diagrams and maps at the beginning. Not too detailed as to ruin anything but enough to help set the scene.

To anyone intending reading the full series, it's worth reading "Incarnation: Wandering Stars Volume One" before Awaked book 4: Seeds Of Corruption. This is the order the books were published in and makes sense of some of the goings-on in books 5&6
on 9 June 2011
This is my first Amazon book review, and this book inspired me to share my opinion that if this is Jason's first attempt at writing I eagerly await what he has in store for his fans in the future. I was sceptical about not only kindle but also the free and cheap books available, but I am now completely hooked. The Awakened is a great yarn set in an ancient time that takes the reader on a journey through the lives of the main characters as they deal with lives that, at the outset, are idyllic. But soon things change dramatically and before you know it you are swept along to a quite cliff-hanging ending. If you enjoy a good fantasy download this book and hold on tight!
on 1 March 2012
This is not a dreadful book. Its just dull.

After an initially interesting SF introduction the plot bogs down into the indoctrination and training of a kidnapped child and his mothers acts of resistance under the tyranny of slave like conditions.

It is however terribly boring. There is obviously a crossworld agenda to what is happening, but the plot threads are so undeveloped I wondered if the author had forgotten about them. The book could benefit from some editing to make it more pacey. More justaposition between the lowtech and sf aspects would improve its appeal. The ending is very downbeat - and terribly anticlimatic - I would say - this is part one of a very long - and dull book - not book one of a series.

Yes its free, yes it could be considered great value for money. But Ive said this before - just because it is free doesnt mean it is good. There are a lot of good free books. If its free - pick it up and give it a try - but if it doesnt appeal - stop and find something else.
on 4 August 2012
I read four free books on my kindle this holiday and this was the best.

As free downloads go it can be a bit of a risk, not in cost terms but in time. In the case of this book had I paid £7.99 at a bookshop I still would have been pleased.

This was well written with multiple interlocking story threads. It was innovative and not plageristic at all, showing original creative ideas in the world it depicts and the characters; unlike one of the other books I read during the same period which was poor.

The characters were believable and culturally in tone with the world being described, their was no introduction of modern culture or Americanism into this story, it was truly international and good for English readers across the globe. The world was exciting with a need to know more it was new, vibrant and creative.

I believe this author has a lot of potential and I will be thinking of parting with some cash for the second offering.
on 10 April 2013
All novels have to compel their readers into involvement. Language, characters and setting.
This novel lacks in all three. The author has a mundane command of English. The character 'transitioned', he 'exited' from a room. He uses modern colloquial Americanisms. In a news report maybe, but not in fiction. At the start the wind blows the fog along. No it doesn't. Wind equals no fog at all because it blows it away! A pie-shaped section is a quadrant, or half a quadrant, or segment. Heavens, this author really needs to work harder at his language skills.
I do support the criticism of others.

I'm halfway through the first book and am not sure if I'll finish it. If I were told he was fifteen I'd believe it.
So far it's an unpolished work that needs the efforts of a good editor to make it readable.

I read the sample and the opening part of the story was intriguing enough for me to buy it. One star for having had to pay for the rest.
on 7 August 2012
I must admit when I first started this book I thought I wouldn't get further than the first chapter, I didn't think it was very well written and it felt like it was straying into very familiar territory. But then we got to Bastul and somewhere in the second chapter I got hooked. After a shaky start Jason found his form and the writing started to flow much more easily, and the story became gripping. Yes it is slightly cliched and the writing style isn't to everyone's taste, but I am completely captivated - I really WANT to know what happens next! OK so its not strictly a trilogy but one book split into 3, but so what, it was less than 4 quid for all of them! So in conclusion, maybe a bit of work on the descriptive prose (like I'm one to comment having never written a book!) but what a cracking story, I loved it! Halfway through book 2 ... lets hope Jason has a few more of these cracking stories up his sleeve.
on 5 March 2012
I don't normall go for fantasy books let alone historical fantasy but my husband downloaded the first book to try it out. I read the synposis and the description of angels piqued my interest so I thought I would read the first chapter or two. When I did I was totally hooked and haven't been able to put the book down and leapt straight onto the next.

For me it was simple to follow - not like the usual fantasy that are so complex and have such difficult maps that turn it into a study session rather than a relaxation exercise.

It felt set in Roman times and living in the North East of England with all the Roman historical sites around, it made character visualisation easy for me.

I would really recommend this series of books for anyone who wants to get into fantasy or try something new.