5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all in one - pricey but saves on other gadgets!
This monitor does so much

Published on 20 July 2011 by Jelly

We've used this monitor for 2 1/2 months and so far it has worked fine. We have one minor quibble and one major: the minor one is that when you connect an iPod or mp3 player to play your own music through the monitor, the volume was very very low; we ended up using a pair of old computer speakers instead.

The major problem (which we had read about before the...
Published 16 months ago by bigwhitewhale

3.0 out of 5 stars with a small fix you can use regular rechargeable batteries to replace the weak ones it comes with, 31 July 2013
This review is from: BT Digital Baby Monitor and Pacifier (White/ Purple) (Baby Product)

The major problem (which we had read about before the purchase but hoped it had been fixed in the meantime; it hasn't) is that after just 2 1/2 months the rechargeable batteries in the parent unit can't hold a charge for more than about 2 hours, which is ridiculous (they weren't that great to begin with, barely held for about 6 hours or so). To add insult to injury, even though they seem like normal AA rechargeable batteries, they're actually about 1mm shorter, and the parent unit is designed in such a way that it only allows the space to put in their short batteries and you can't insert regular, higher-capacity rechargeable batteries (the original batteries our unit came with are 1300mAh, 1.2V LR6/AA made in China by Corun, which is quite low-capacity). This is obviously intentional on the part of BT because they want to sell you the same crap 'custom-size' batteries over and over again. A bit weird that this monitor which is a pricy, high-quality product, is saddled with garbage rechargeables which, if you read other reviews, are its main weak point.

BT customer service is pitiful (more details below) and their only solution is to have you shell out more of your cash for more of their crap batteries. We were so fed up with them that we took matters into our own hands: we realised that by carefully shaving off a bit of the plastic inside the parent unit (about 1mm), you can enlarge the space and fit in regular rechargeable batteries. We did this and it worked like a charm, we put in some rechargeable 2700 mAh and now we can use the parent unit for many hours at a time without getting the dreaded 'low battery' beep.

About the BT customer service: We called 3 times and were kept waiting for more than 10 minutes each time. First time we were put through with 'out of warranty supplies' who said they could sell us new rechargeable batteries for £5. When we protested that the monitor was only 3 months old and obviously not out of warranty, they said we should take that up with BT, but they couldn't connect us back to our first interlocutor. Another call, another 10 minutes waiting on the line, we told the lady not to put us through to out of waranty supplies since the monitor is not out of warranty, to which she said something along the lines that 'we can only put you through to them, cause we're not BT here and we don't have any batteries what to sell you (sic)'. We tried to reason with the out of warranty people again, no luck (they were well aware that the batteries they provide are shorter) - they said we should bring it up with BT if we thought the unit was faulty. Called again the same phone support line (which is in the baby monitor manual) and again they said they were not BT (?!) but just, apparently, some switchboard service to transfer you to, you guessed, 'out of warranty supplies'. The whole catch-22 thing is meant to drive you up the walls until you pay them for batteries. But when I asked what guarantee do I have that the new batteries won't fail too after 2 months, they said they are guaranteed for 1 year and they would replace them. The catch? You have to send them the batteries first so they can 'test them'. Dring which time you use the parent unit on solar power, presumably?

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product - it is a waste of money! Poor quality and poor service from BT., 7 Feb 2014
Bought this about 15 months ago but didn't start using it until Feb 2013 and like other reviewers I am now going to have to buy another baby monitor.

There seems to be two problems with this product:
Problem 1:
The rechargeable batteries do not last very long. After about 4 months the charge in the battery will only last for a maximum of two hours. Having decided that we needed to replace the batteries we discovered that the batteries for this are not standard size and cannot be bought in supermarkets/ordinary shops (only found this after purchasing some). I had to buy new ones of the internet. But again the charge in these only last a couple of weeks and then same problem returns.
Problem 2:
The parent unit switches itself off intermittently - don't think this needs much explanation. You cannot monitor your child if your handset is switched off!

I like other reviewers bought this despite the negative reviews as I just assumed these people had been unlucky. Please do not make the same assumption and save yourself some money and but another product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design Flaws - NOT RECOMMENDED, 11 Jan 2014
Echoing other reviews the feature set of this product is rich and well designed. However the implementation is lacking quality. Initially issues with charging the handset followed by handset switching itself off and battery refusing to recharge on the base station. This was followed by not being able to switch on the handset at all. Given it was well out of the warranty date, taking the handset apart shows switches on a printed circuit board (PCB) at the top of the unit where the power buttons, mute button etc. are located. These are placed at right angles to the direction in which the buttons are pressed which I believe is a design flaw as each time you press a button (particularly the power button), you are putting force on the switch that is soldered onto the PCB in a way that over time will weaken the solder and cause the switch to break off the PCB with the inevitable consequence that the unit will fail to operate eventually. I managed to remedy this by resoldering the switch back on (a fiddly job to say the least). This worked temporarily but unfortunately after another 6 months the switch came off again hence my strong feelings this is a design flaw/quality issue. Therefore I can certainly NOT recommend this product particularly if you are thinking of using it for the long term and potentially for more than one child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all in one - pricey but saves on other gadgets!, 20 July 2011
This monitor does so much

The night light acts like a gro-egg so you can tell how hot it really is at a glance, it has a variety of tunes (not just lullabies, classical music and white noise for newborns), the light show is simple yet effective with slow fades and it spans across the ceiling. The sound is fantastic - I had an angelcare monitor before which I loved but there was so much interference and it kept cutting out on me so only ended up using the sensor mat - this has excelled itself, crystal clear sound which barely any static at all. There are some features I don't really 'get' yet like the crying alert (as you'd hear your little on cry anyway) but I guess it could be useful for some people. If BT released something identical to this but with a sensor mat it would be THE perfect monitor, completely flawless. I really do love this monitor and even though it's pricey it's completely worth the money as it saves you buying that gro-egg/slumber bear/light show you've been eyeing up. A wonderful buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs!, 16 Oct 2013
This is a very good monitor when it's working. However, we are on our second one in under 2 years, the screens failing on both, rendering the item useless! If you only want a baby monitor for 6 months then this is the one to go for!

1.0 out of 5 stars On 4th unit now and it's broken alo, 28 Aug 2013
Did not buy this from a amazon but like a lot of reviews it works great for a few months then gives up.

My son is 20 months old we still need to use a monitor due to breathing problems but in those 20 months we've had to replace this 4 times and now we are battling to replace this a 5th time.
Each time same fault - won't take a charge and turns off during the night. Not helpful at all

If you're lucky and it's not a faulty one this would be a wonderful monitor. For us though its been pretty poor

Pros
Great night light
Music fantastic
Light show son loves even now
Fantastic audio
Comes with a handy travel bag

Cons
Turns self off without warning
Short battery life

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT SWITCHING OFF, 17 Oct 2014
We bought this in June 2012, like other reviews state, it began having issues after 2 years. The monitor wouldn't hold it's charge through the night, which is obviously a major issue. The other issue is that the casing is built to only accept AA batteries that are a few millimeters smaller than standard size. After some investigating, I bought GP 1300MAH batteries. Some sellers sell them as 'BT Baby monitor batteries', but also sell them as 1300MAH batteries for less. These cured the problem of it cutting out, the batteries were being charged and discharged constantly for 2 years and gave up the ghost.

As for the monitor, it is an excellent product, our wee one loves the stars and the sound quality is crystal clear.

2.0 out of 5 stars parent unit is a disaster, 5 Sep 2012
Denise Sap - See all my reviews
I actually loved this product when we had it first, but after a few months, the parent unit started playing up, by turning itself and other functions on and off. It would wake me several times a night. I contacted BT , who told me to reset it - which worked for a while (I had to reset it every night) but now it is just constantly playing up. It is a real shame because my son actually falls asleep so nicely with the lullabys (the songs could be a bit longer in themselves) and the night show- I have contacted BT again, I will see what they come back with - and I will try Amazon as well.
I will probably keep the baby unit because it is a nice show but will have to switch to a differnt monitor if a solution is not found!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this monitor!, 5 Jan 2012
Well worth the money with lightshows and soothing music! Keeping my little one entertained while awake. I do recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars an easy five star product., 19 Sep 2011
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My niece has just had her second child and I thought this would be an ideal gift for her.

When she first received it she raised her eye brows, I think she thought uncle Bob was giving her some mad gift as it is not the conventional looking baby monitor, her expression soon changed when I told her it was a baby monitor and pacifier.

After setting it up she and her husband were amazed at how good the unit was, so much so that she phoned everyone she knew to come round and listen to the monitor, I did remind her most people would only want to see the baby.

The sound is amazing, crystal clear. Has 19 lullabies with superb sound, you can also project a light show which my niece says is an instance stop crying feature.

It is feature packed shows the temperature which is very useful, it even has a torch which is ideal when you don't want to wake her little sister who sleeps in the same room.

You can also control everything via the handset which again is an ideal feature, this is an extremely well thought out monitor which deserves all it praise, an easy five star product.