on 19 September 2011
There are three short stories in this collection, all written by MJA Ware.

The first is "No Way Out" about events in an old house at Halloween when two boys break in. Second is "The Price of Friendship" about a stranger who buys memories and the consequences for those involved. Finally there's "Hobgoblin Horror"; the story of what happens to two boys when they hear a terrifying tale from an old man in a retirement home.

All three stories are very well written, with humour and a light touch. Importantly, they all have good endings which will bring a smile to your face.

This collection is recommended for anyone who enjoys stories with a light fantasy/horror theme (nothing too heavy) and I look forward to reading more stories by this author.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
Wish there had been more in this! The stories were good - but too short, and left me wanting more........... a sign of a good author, perhaps? I'd like to read more by the same author.
on 9 August 2013
I would recommend this book to a teenager as some chapters would scare younger children. They were great books but they were only snippets which I found annoying so beware before reading this book that it hasn't the full story this might agitate readers as it agitated me
on 6 October 2013
my 8 year old daughter enjoyed reading them. she read them within a couple of hours and said she would like to read more!
on 25 June 2012
Fun collection of short stories.

*Side Note: I really need to learn some self-discipline and stop downloading all these free short stories. I have no self-control at all when it comes to short stories and it's a pleasure to find a collection that is well written and captivating.*

I enjoyed all the stories on offer here though I think the title story was probably the weakest. I particularly loved the story entitled 'Hobgoblin Horror', macabre and funny at the same time, what a combination!

The preview to the novel Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb (Middle Grade Mystery Series Book #1) was rather fun and I will be purchasing it in the near future as I want to know how it pans out.

I have enjoyed Ware's writing style in this short collection and will be keeping an eye out for more.
on 14 August 2012
I always get tricked into reading kids' horror without realising it. Especially when these books seem to be on the same "horror chart" as the adult books.

I get a little way in and then I notice that the endings are about as scary as your aunt/grandma wearing purple lipstick with a coldsore and wanting to kiss you. They're mostly precautionary tales, i.e. "Don't go into abandoned "haunted" houses, or this horrible thing will happen!"

The stories were alright, a little predictable, not that scary, and probably had kids aged 9-12 in mind.

I only read up to the second story though, so I can't say if the ones after that were more gruesome or frightening.
on 7 August 2015
I like short stories, but these were too badly written to even be considered stories. They had a basic language perhaps more suited to a 5 year old than an adult, but the content was not child friendly, (unless you want your child to read about eating cats!) The writing style was non existent and the story line was also absent. There are 3 short stories at the beginning, but they make little sense are are not interesting. As another reviewer said, there is no beginning, middle or end, and the very, very few things in the story seem to appear out of nowhere, (one child goes into a special house, how he found this, why it is special etc. is not mentioned.) Of these 3, 2 are very similar - about a boy, (not the same one), happens at Halloween, (not the same one) and involved Halloween tricks etc. Really, this is such a lack of imagination that I was already fed up. Then followed a 'sample preview' of another book by the same author, but I couldn't be bother to see if there were any more stories after this, as I had no intention whatsoever of reading them.
This was free, but it is not worth the time to download or the space it takes up on my tablet. I uninstalled it as I wish to NEVER read it again.
on 4 September 2013
It cost £1 and was mildly entertaining...no complaints from me. Might be a good introduction into the horror genre for young readers.
on 11 August 2013
Great book,the stories where quite short the author could have made them a bit longer but never the less a great book.
on 11 July 2013
Brilliant book 5 star rating is needed. Amazing stories about misty and Nathan. I have I said it's brilliant. Amazing