Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 23 August 1999
I have read a lot of romance novels of late and this is the first one I could not put down! Johanna Lindsey, this book is superb! The sexual tension and attraction between Royce and Kristen was WOW! So much action without too much history, just enough to explain what was going on. I loved that Kristen was such a strong woman, so sure of herself. She knew she wanted Royce and didn't deny it! I also loved how Kristen came from such a strong family background and the closeness she shared with her parents and brothers! And Royce, he was so gorgeous and sensual, no wonder Kristen couldn't deny herself! Johanna Lindsey, please, I beg you, write a sequel for Royce and Kristen. I did not want this book to end!
on 14 April 2003
Kristen Haardrad smuggled herself in her brothers’ ship bound, she thought, on a trading voyage. However Selig has plans to raid a Saxon church, supposedly easy pickings. The raid goes horribly wrong, Selig is struck down and the remainder of the force taken prisoner. At first, Kristen is taken for a man (due to her Viking height and men’s clothing) but once it is discovered she’s a woman she is removed from her compatriots and sent to work in the hall of Royce of Wyndhurst. And now for a battle of another kind, as master and prisoner become attracted to one another. Who will win the battle of lust and love?
For a seemingly straightforward plot, there is much that is complex here. The relationship of the Haardrad family members is in turn endearing, frustrating, funny and heart-warming in their dedication to one another. Kristen is not the normal mould of Viking, due to her mother’s teachings and beliefs (her mother herself was taken captive by Kristen’s Viking father). Yet her fierceness, exuberance and willingness to fight is pure Viking, and very different from the Saxon way. Kristen never considers herself a slave, although all the Saxons including Royce do. Kristen quickly realises that she wants Royce for her own, and has few maidenly hesitations about using whatever it takes to make him hers, dedicating herself entirely to the task. Much about the book may be uncomfortable from the modern perspective – the issue of slavery, of the Viking culture and attitude to women taken prisoner being prime examples – and may give some readers pause. The action scenes are excellent, the development of the relationship developing between Kristen and Royce is well described.
Once reconciled to the cultural issues, there is much to enjoy about this romance as Kirsten sets about winning her man.
on 18 December 2000
Well, after reading my fair share of romance novels, this has to be up there with the best. The heroine was fab. Kristen was everything that you would hope to have in a heroine, strong, willful and not afraid of anything. Royce was equally likeable and there were some exchanges between the 2 that were genuinely funny. The Viking men also came across as fine specimens and it would be great to have a few novels based on Kristen's brothers and cousins. It was such an enjoyable read, I would recommend it to anyone/.
on 27 April 2001
I find I'm completely drawn to JL's writing, despite her insistence on having virtually every heroine spanked. She knows exactly how to entice readers and this book had me hooked. Kristen is wonderfully fiery, Royce is powerful enough to counter her and ne'er the two shall meet, or so you are made to think. It's a quick and enjoyable read, it's light hearted and if you like romance novels you'll love this.
on 17 December 1998
Hearts Aflame impressed me as one of the most honest presentations of the agony and ecstacy of love ever. Kristen is so refreshing as someone who can be very capable, strong and independent without being bossy, bitchy or manly! She's able to keep her femininity and still be stong and honorable. And Royce - what can I say - he was my first crush! This book is excellent. I've loaned it to all my friends and still read it every year!
on 18 September 1997
I have read the three Vikings book - and this one was the best.
Kristen Haardrad (the daughter of Garrick Harrdrad and Lady Brenna from FIRES OF WINTER, and sister to Selig from SURRENDER MY LOVE) was full of mischief and laughter. Royce didn't have a chance.
on 3 July 2006
This was an excellent book I loved it. It is about a viking maiden named Kristen that smuggled herself on her brother Selig ship. Well the raid goes wrong and everyone is taken prisoner. The chemistry is fantastic between Royce and Kristen. Kristen un-ashamed of showing passion captures the heart of Royce and make him whole. Fires of Winter and Surrender my love are excellent too.
on 17 April 1999
This is the book that got me hooked on ramnce novels. I loved the story, I loved Royce and Kristen, I liked the fact that her mother taught her to fight, and that she could take care of herself. I also love the fact that despite her being a catured slave, Royce still wanted to be with her. His feelings changed from lust to love really quick.
on 20 January 1999
"Hearts Aflame" is J.Lindsey at her Ultimate Best! I'll always have a strong attachment to this book because it was the first romance novel I read, which I then read, read, and re-read again. The characters of Kristen and Royce are interesting and well-developed, the dialogue is fast and inflaming--words which also well describe the "love" scenes, and luckily, the plot doesn't meander much into the inane (which can't always be said for a good deal of the storylines in this genre). If I haven't praised this book enough and you need more assurance to purchase it, the review from Aerin in Seattle is dead-on!
on 21 September 2011
I enjoy Joanna Lindseys books. But I don't like this one. It's not that the story isnt interesting or well written but I am uncomfortable with the rape scene. When I woman denies her consent it's always rape, even if she has an orgasm.