4.0 out of 5 stars Multi-player Awesome... rest kind of irrelevant.
I'm hearing a lot of buzz both unnecessarily negative and unnecessarily positive. With absolutely no agenda or brand loyalty I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by R. Keech

1.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzy graphics, more campers than ever
I was quite apprehensive about buying MW3 as I had heard mixed opinions, so I decided to try it out. On first look I was impressed by the look of the box and the main menu, I did the first level of the campaign and found the graphics to be pretty good.

But

Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by Thomas.B

1.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzy graphics, more campers than ever, 21 Feb. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars

But

As soon as I went on Multiplayer the very first thing I noticed was the fuzzy graphics, (in-fact they were so bad I felt almost sea sick just from playing), and it definatley isn't my Tv as I play other cod games with no issues with the graphics, definitely taking it back.

1.0 out of 5 stars An utterly sick joke, 6 May 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
First of all, I would like to discourage anyone from buying this game. This is the worst Call of Duty game of them all. Stick with Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2.

The spawns are a joke. When you get killed, you respawn nearly always ten metres from an enemy, meaning that you pretty much get killed multiple times before actually getting any shots in. The maps are very poorly designed, they are all small and do not employ any sort of strategy, you just shoot everything in sight, and then you die. Then the process just repeats itself over and over until somebody wins. The weapons are also very overpowered, particularly the FMG Akimbo, which is a dual wield submachine gun. People just run around with these shooting both of the guns at the same time, so you end up killed within a second. The perks are also stupid. What's the point in having Overkill? Yeah sure, you can have a sniper and an assault rifle, but then you cannot have Quickdraw, which is in the same perk slot, meaning that the snipers become slow and clunky, putting you at a disadvantage. All this adds up to you being killed constantly by the same people running around with FMGs, whatever weapon you have. The lag is also unbearable.

I'm trading mine in ASAP, I'm just very narked at the money I have lost buying this colossal piece of horse crap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Multi-player Awesome... rest kind of irrelevant., 18 Nov. 2011
R. Keech (Berwick upon Tweed, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)

Firstly, loved MW1 and MW2 - really, really wanted to love Black Ops - bought and played the hell out of it, multi-player was good at times, but the graphical downgrade from MW2 (I know they're made by 2 different companies - but still) just bugged me and the bits I thought would be innovative (Gun Game etc) or just plain fun (Remote Car bombs!!) Felt gimmicky very quickly. Single player was an unbearably dull shooting gallery (for me anyway).

So, with this in mind I was kind of reluctant to pick up MW3. However, after clearing Batman Arkham City, needed new entertainment so thought I'd give it a shot (no pun).
I, for one, am unbelievably glad I did! Its always about multi-player as far as I'm concerned. That's what I'm paying for, anything else that works well (i.e. Spec Ops) is just gravy.
I LOVE the new progression system - levelling up your character, your weapons etc. Basically means I feel I'm being constantly rewarded for my efforts in small ways! I'm a veteran player - just not a particularly skilled one! My kill / death ratio always hangs around the break even mark, but I'm having an immense amount of fun anyway! I do confess to playing with all other players pretty much muted, so if you're giving me grief or praise when I'm playing - I hear none of it!

Along with the new progression system I'm really enjoying some of the new modes - especially 'Kill Confirmed' which brings a different tactical element to the mayhem (that and I seem to be pretty good at it), the basic premise here being that when you shoot someone, they die and drop their dog tags which must be retrieved in order to 'confirm' the kill. Similarly, if one of your team mates collects the tags - the kill is also confirmed. On the other hand, should an opponent collect those tags of his fallen comrade then the kill is 'denied'. The good thing about this mode is that, though you still pick up EXP for the kills - your team only scores points for collected tags (which brings extra EXP for the one collecting AND the one who made the kill). This promotes team work in a way that a standard team deathmatch tends not to.

As for the moans, I have none. For two reasons: Firstly, I have little to no interest in the single player, I'll probably try it, but will be pleasantly surprised if it holds my interest (that said MW1 and MW2 actually DID hold my interest - Black Ops not so much); Secondly, the graphics are basically MW2 (i.e. very bloody good) quality, but smoother and more consistently held at a high frame rate. I really don't understand the problem that others have with the graphics on this game. They look pretty sweet to me! Maybe I need a new TV? Maybe they need a new TV? Who knows?

Anyway, I heartily recommend ignoring all of the reviews and making your own mind up. If you like this sort of game, chances are you're going to love this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer decent now it's old, 1 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
For me Call of Duty started at COD4 and to this day COD4 remains the best game in the series and my most played game ever. I literally spent days/weeks on COD4 both when I owned a 360 and then onto ps3. The online was so addictive and it was before COD went all "over the top" as I put it. By this I mean they introduced every aid going like heartbeat sensors and the like. COD4 kept an element of realism and the maps were brilliant. This is why I played COD4 for years, even when a couple of newer version were out.

So since COD4 I often picked up the new versions of COD upon release. However I usually sold them shortly afterwards. The main reason is that COD multiplayer is usually horrible at first. So onto MW3 which I picked up again recently for only £2. Playing multiplayer now is actually quite enjoyable 90% of the time. I put this down to the fact that most players will have moved onto newer versions such as the recently released Advanced Warfare (in which you can jump into space - another move away from realism). On MW3 currently there are less annoyances, less annoying players. I guess any online game could be frustrating and annoying at times but a newly released COD would always top the list of annoying multiplayer games. So now most players have moved on MW3 is largely enjoyable when playing online multiplayer. Yes you still get the odd campers to add frustration but you also have to accept that this is part of the game. Personally I don't take the stats too seriously I just play for fun. But still the frustration can boil over when another player just lays in a corner all game waiting for someone to run past. Quite a pathetic tactic as if everyone did that then it would be zero kills each and a stalemate - but no matter what I say some people will see this as a good playing style. I will keep away from newly released versions of COD but paying cheap for an older version I will certainly consider. At the moment online on MW3 is quite enjoyable, there are not many hackers, not too many campers and generally people playing in the right way. Now my review is just based on the online multiplayer at this stage. I am sure the other modes are decent but we all know that this is primarily an online shooter. The good thing about online shooters, if you can find an enjoyable one, then the game time it provides is limitless. You could literally play it for hours, days, weeks etc. So in terms of value for money it can make sense.

To sum up, this is what we have come to expect from COD. It is nothing new and it is the same formula as all other versions, just with different maps. If I reviewed this upon release I would probably be quite annoyed at wasting up to £40 on it and would be frustrated with the poor community which seems to go hand in hand with this series - and would probably give it 1 star. However I accept that the game itself is decent, it is sometimes held back by the people that play it. Now most of those players have moved on it is quite enjoyable and offers many hours of online entertainment. I don't generally have much time to play these days hence why I have not yet moved onto ps4. However there is little reason to just yet, I paid £2 for this game and ps3 online is free - so bargain really.

2.0 out of 5 stars The one that put me off CoD, 14 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
As the title suggests, this is the game that made me feel used. I spent £45 purchasing this on release day when this game came out, and I felt as if I should have only spent £10. As expected with a high octane, Hollywood style kill everything game, the plot and characters are nothing to die for. Whilst it is somewhat interesting on the deception side of things (you'll have to play MW2 to know all the details), it is ultimately and uninspired plot which just paves the way for Americans shooting Russians, Brits shooting Russians and, hell, Russians shooting Russians. It is simply the enabler for the series' signature thrills. And thrilling it is, with the constant stream of explosions leaving you on the edge of your seat....for a while; eventually, you realise it'll keep happening and you become desensitised in a way to these sorta' things. The gunplay is still solid, I'll give the game that, but my problem is how it seems to play like an exact copy of the previous two games (5, if you count the Treyarch games). It made me feel like I was playing a glorified expansion pack, with the gunplay and action feeling the same as the past games, the linear maps on SP and MP feeling as if they're progressing in the same way as the previous games and the visuals looking like an exact copy of the previous game; I have no idea if the graphics and engine were updated at all, it sure as hell doesn't feel like it.

Now, the multi-player is where the game "is at", according to many reviewers and players. I felt as if this was only partially true, with the maps and game modes being a mixed bag. Most of the game modes are returning, with a few added in which just kinda' feel like a bit of novelty- a gimmick in the sense that they're either in other games or are a spin on existing game modes. The maps are either pretty good or absolute drivel. Some just felt like a camper's paradise, with dark spots in corners next to doors or the occasional glitch to be exploited. However, some were nice and tight for intense fights or had elevated points to get the tactical edge over your foes. I liked that. The increase in the amount of levels amounts to nothing, it just makes the game seem like more of a grind and gives the allusion that this increase in progression equates to more content.

In short, if you rarely play FPSs, then this'll probably be a decent introduction/chill-out game. If not, I suggest you go for another title.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight Shooter, 21 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this 'game' as a belated birthday gift (I was receiving treatment) for my step son Lesley (after ...Grantham, 'East Enders'' 'Dirty Den' Watts, his mother was a big fan. It wouldn't have happened had I been on the scene then, Mr Grantham is a murderer, after all, and something of a sexual deviant if I remember rightly).
It's very violent but I'm hoping it will encourage him to be less effeminate, to 'man up' as they say these days, 'grow a pair' and join the army or something before he ends up becoming a you know what.

2.0 out of 5 stars rehash and more campers than ever., 17 Dec. 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I loved modern warfare 2 and black ops took a bit of getting used to but I enjoyed that. After getting modern warfare 3 I felt dissapointed. Now I do play mostly online so that is what my review will be mostly based on. The single player is what you'd expect from the cod series, massive explosions and chases. I really like the survival mode, where the player must survive waves of enemies, similar to zombie mode of black ops. However it has an arcade feel to it which I found refreshing. Sadly this was all I enjoyed of the game which is where I move to the online play.

Now this is my opinion and I would suggest renting before buying to absolutely sure this is for you.
The maps are aweful. Previous cods, its always been majority are good with 1 or 2 maps which are annoying to play. MW3 that's the other way around. I understand that the maps were designed to reduce sniper camping, which is why there are very few high vantage points. Which, ok , I understand , the flip side though since the maps are "flatter" with more twists and turns. The amount of corner rat campers are rife. As someone said in a previous review. Bullet damage is high so the campers are thus rewarded for camping. Since by the time you notice the rat camping in a bush/corner.... Your dead. The maps are maps of rubble and dust. Another major flaw is the slight lag. So many times in a firefight you think you have ducked around the corner for cover only to die. After watching the killcam it shows that you never actually got around the corner. So many times I've felt like snapping my controller. I thought maybe I was too used to black ops, but I have since prestiged 3 times and its as annoying as ever and the campers are getting worse. I will be trading in once metal gear hd collection is released

3.0 out of 5 stars A complete cash cow, 8 Nov. 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Sadly, this will be the last Call Of duty I buy. It's exactly the same as the past 2 games, with only a couple of changes to the multiplayer.

Single player campaign is woeful, completely scripted with terrible story and it's over in 3 hours. Why oh why does this get such high scores? The multiplayer. But really? is it that good?

I ask myself because realisation has set in - its just kind of boring. I've got fed up with the same old thing. The fact is, what we have here is nearly a decade old concept that is basically being cleaned and recycled once a year for the same price. There is no heart to this game - no flair. The whole experience is so cookie cutter that I actually got bored of it within a couple of hours.

It's by no stretch a terrible game, but it just doesn't need to be here, if you have the original modern warfare you have this. Don't bother wasting your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Everything as expected, will buy again.. I give five stars for going beyond expectations and problem solving, here no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much fun it hurts, 10 Jun. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Modern warfare three is only one of four call of duty games that i've played, and i have to admit i fell in love with them. I love the story of MW2 so went to buy MW3. It great i love the story and survial mode is sooo much fun. Multiplayer is great (i play kill confirmed it helps out people) and the point streaks help the people who arent so good. Overall its pretty damn go. Now cant wait for black op 2!!!!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3) by Activision (PlayStation 3)