4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, but Basic.
Our household has two iPods as well as other items, so this unit was very useful on a recent hoiday with the car. It allows you to top up the iPods as you go.

Published on 20 Jun. 2012 by Bruce

2.0 out of 5 stars So dissapointing :-( It doesn't stay in & is poorly made.
Published 13 months ago by S. L. Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, but Basic., 20 Jun. 2012
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: AmazonBasics 2-Port USB Car Charger with 2.1 Amp Output in Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It is of course a very "basic" unit - a bit ugly and with black plastic very much in evidence. But it does the job and is something you can throw in a bag when going on a trip out or holiday using your car. In this respect it doesn't take up much space and can become part of your regular travelling "kit" of essentials.

Amazon's packaging was very minimal and as usual, a great antidote to most similar products, which come in unopenable sealed plastic units; which inevitably need to be hacked at with scissors or knife.

All in all, a useful item that is presented with the minimun of fuss. It does the job and is basic - as you would expect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the work, bright blue led., 19 Nov. 2012
Jh Kim Lee "Ironman" (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
I bought this as it had the double USB output and would be helpful to both charge the phone and power the gps unit on trips. I does the work and it's solidly made.
The blue led is quite bright and can be a bit distracting at night though!

2.0 out of 5 stars So dissapointing :-( It doesn't stay in & is poorly made., 11 Feb. 2014
I had a cheap USB car charger to use with my sat nav, but it wouldn't stay in place, meaning I was often left without charge on my sat nav. So I decided to spend more and buy a new one. I decided to go with the Amazon branded one as I thought I could trust it. At around £10 it certainly wasn't cheap (not like the 99p one I had been using) & I was confident it would do the job. The reviews were generally good.

BUT

It's rubbish. Yes, it works fine when you first plug it in, but just like the cheap one it also fails to stay in. This is a wolf in sheeps clothing - a cheap and nasty USB car charger pretending to be a good quality one. I've had to stick tape all over it to try to keep it in.

This has to be the most let down I've ever been by an Amazon product. 2 stars only because it does work when you are holding it down or tape it in. But overall, not fit for purpose and shouldn't be sold at this price (You generally expect to get what you pay for and given the performance of this I would have expected this to cost less than £2). I can see why it has been withdrawn from sale (11/2/14) - it's just a shame it wasn't withdrawn before I was conned into buying it last week :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 14 Jun. 2012
Post Scriptum - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a simple, neat and very handy little item that is well worth keeping in the car for those occasions when some or other gadget needs charging. The number of times when we set off somewhere and, after a few minutes, realise one of us forgot to charge an mp3 player, for example, have been high, and now this 2-port charger can end such frustrations. It's simple to use and, so far (I've had it about a month and used it several times), it's very effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic But Functional, 25 May 2012
AndyBSG "A. Graham" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gets a solid 4 star stars from me because it does exactly what it's meant to do at a reasonable price and is now something I use all the time thanks to it's ability to run my sat nav and charge my phone at the same time.

As an in car charger it does the job well and I actually got this to replace the two much more expensive HTC chargers i've had which both looked pretty swanky but never actually worked.

I see some people have mentioned that it's very slow at charging but that is nothing to do with the charger, that's just a common side effect of using a low powered cigarette lighter to charge devices that usually use the mains and the 2.1 amp convertor in this is actually better than most others which are generally only 1 amp.

The only drawback is that charging two devices on it is a bit hit and miss as the two USB sockets are very close together so if the actual USB sockets on your cables are a bit bulkier than normal you can struggle to fit both in without them dislodging each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect, 9 Dec. 2012
Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Has no problem charging two smart phones. Had a Galaxy S and a Galaxy S III hooked up and both had 3g, wifi and gps enabled and still charged them both just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job fine, 15 Sept. 2012
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been reasonable impressed with this charger. It came in easy-to-open packaging, and although it's pretty ugly and basic-looking, that doesn't really matter when you're only using it in the car. It fit into my cigarette lighter perfectly (I have a Citroen). As soon as I plugged an appliance in the blue light on the unit came on to indicate charging.

I find this really useful for charging my Ipod in the car as before this I didn't have a car charger for my Ipod. I can charge mine and my husband's at the same time which is great, and although it's not the fastest charger I've used, it's not too shabby and I found that a half-hour journey was enough to charge one Ipod about halfway. I can also use it for our phones, though it's slower (of course) than using individual chargers.

This is a cheap, convenient piece of kit and I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Robust but far from elegant, 20 July 2012
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The "AmazonBasics 2-port USB Car Charger (2.1A)" is a dual USB charger that lets you charge up to two devices from your car cigarette lighter socket at the same time, with a total overall maximum loading of 2.1A, which should be more than adequate for most modern digital devices. [Tip: if you want to get the maximum charging rate from this charger, use a USB power cable, not a USB data cable to connect it to your device.] I have found that while it works fine in practice but it does have a couple of drawbacks which lessen its attractiveness in comparison with similar products. Firstly, it is much bulkier than many such devices and can be quite cumbersome in some set-ups. Both the LUPO and Trixes series of chargers are much better from this point of view. The AmazonBasics charger's blue LED is also very bright and can be distracting if it is at all in the line of sight while driving and especially at night. In addition, its spring contact seem very strong and whilst I had no problems in my RAV4, I suspect that in some cars' sockets it will probably spring out, aided by the not inconsiderable weight of the device itself.

So far though, I have to say that this device has performed flawlessly for me, which is more than can be said for many a more expensive brand. Overall, I'd say that this is pretty robust product and that while it lacks elegance, by and large it does what it is designed to do. If you want more than that, you might need to shop around a little for something fancier.

4.0 out of 5 stars dual usb charger, 20 Jun. 2012
S. Hammond "Steve" (Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This item is an amazon basic item, having said that, its not cheap and nasty.
It feels substantial, a nice weight to it, and features two USB ports.
Fits nicely into my power socket in my car, and power is indicated by a very bright blue l.e.d.
Can't say much more about it....does the job perfectly....one slight drawback I could mention is that its not particularly discreet....sticks out a far way from the dashboard.

Recommended though

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, bit big and clumsy though, 18 Jun. 2012
CjW "chris" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It does the specified job; but it is big and clumsy and prone to falling out of vertical sockets if nudged with the hand in use.
I have a Tom Tom version, which is tiny by comparison - but thought I needed a second for the other car.

It will do the job and a good price, so its a good 'un.

PS: Amazon stuck so much tape around the 'simple' packing box - it took a Stanley knife to open it and some cussing!
The object of basic and simple packaging is in the statement - must be a newby on shift.