5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favourite Black Stone Cherry record...
"Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" the third studio album from Kentucky rockers Black Stone Cherry is possibly their strongest collection of songs yet, fuelled with heavy guitar riffs, melodic rhythms and in places some very poignant lyrics.

Published on 30 May 2011 by Mr. N. J. Henderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was very excited when I heard that Black Stone Cherry had released a new album and bought it as soon as I could. Having bought the first two albums (and loved them both) I was expecting more of the same - blues tinted heavy rock that is in your face and offers no apologies, foot stomping hard rock fun!

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5...
Published on 8 Jun 2011 by Mantower

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my favourite Black Stone Cherry record..., 30 May 2011
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews

Working with renowned rock producer Howard Benson, Black Stone Cherry stay true to their traditional southern sound, opening track and lead single "White Trash Millionaire" is a decent opener, but perhaps not for me as strong as previous singles from their first two albums.
Elsewhere, melodic uptempo rockers "Killing Floor" and "Such A Shame" follow in a similar vein, before the fantastic "Blame It On The Boom Boom" shows up at track six, without doubt one the catchiest songs the band has written and should easily be the albums second single.

There's the traditional ballads to boot, a couple of mid-tempo ones in tracks "In My Blood" and "Won't Let Go," but the strongest and most emotional song is "Stay," you'll get the idea with lyrics like "I'd sell my soul just to see your face and I'd break my bones just to heal your pain."

The album closes with the acoustic filled "All I'm Dreamin Of," it almost moves with a slight country twang, a slower song with again some heartfelt lyrics.
If you've brought the deluxe version though you'll get three extra tracks, heavy rocker "Staring St The Mirror" ballad "Fade Away" and one final rocker "Die For You." Although all decent tracks in their own right, nothing strong enough in my opinion to place ahead of the twelve albums tracks.

In summary, "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" is an excellent record, full of heavy southern rock with lyrics about the ups and downs of everyday life, it's a record that any rock fan should enjoy.
It's quite short though, most of the tracks just about creep over the three minute mark, no track here comes close to touching five minutes - but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

The phrase "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" means an undesirable dilemma, which isn't something you should apply to this record. Dilemma over, without doubt it comes highly recommended.

Best Tracks "Stay," "Blame It On The Boom Boom" "Such A Shame"

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is excellent, 6 Sep 2011
Yet another good loud album from BSC. Worth buying. Shipping fast. Great Band, so if you haven't heard of them before buy this album you will not be disappointed

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Jun 2011

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5 times I find that BSC have lost their edge. I remember a few years back I was discussing BSC with a friend and they said that BSC sound 'way too much like Nickelback' which I thought was preposterous at the time, however this album reminds of Nickleback more every time I listen to it. It is radio friendly 'make me lots of money' rock which just doesn't appeal to me. None of the songs get anywhere near the hard rock greatness achieved on their first two efforts; it reeks of an album that was written with the aim of getting mass radio airplay. Nothing wrong with that in essence, the guys gotta make a buck, but it is not my kind of music.

I bought the special edition with 15 tracks but unfortunately none of the songs really grabbed my attention. White Trash Millionaire, the album's opening song, had the same feel as 'Rockstar' by Nickelback, or something Kid Rock would have penned, whereas the lyrics in 'Blame it on the Boom Boom' reminded me of Metallica's Frantic in how disappointed I was with the simplicity of the lyrics (All together now "When I'm giving you the boom boom/Yeah don't wake up in the morning/In somebody else's room room/Blame it on the boom boom" - sounds more like a Britney song).

The songwriting is predictable and the lyrics are, well, basic at best. There don't seem to be the intricacies of previous albums or the lyrical excellence that I enjoyed before. Overall this is an album that will appeal to many people, but I am not one of them. It is a shame really and I hope they will be back to proper hard rock on their next effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yes :-), 4 July 2013
This is a great album, I just love it, it makes me want to listen to more of their material so it's a win!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real rock is back, 1 Jun 2011
Stuart Briggs "stuartbriggs" (England) - See all my reviews
It's impossible to imagine BSC getting any better. With this album they are touching perfection as a rock band. Just a quick note for anyone under thirty: the term `rock' as applied to music does not include My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters or any other derivative pop act about as edgy and innovative as a chipshop meal. Just listen to BSC to truly grasp this. The only other current contender I can think of for such a potent blend of power and melody is Wolfmother (Halestorm is primarily a metal outfit, otherwise they too might bear comparison). Just think Shinedown on steroids.

I'd approached `Between ..' with considerable trepidation, given the daunting legacy of the previous two titanic albums After all, anyone who's ever heard `Things my father said' is fully aware that BSC is a band endowed with great depth and versatility - a very high standard that's hard to maintain. However I was more than pleasantly blown away. Every track here is a gem, brimming over with that trademark snarling, growling guitar wall of sound bolstering consistently magnificent songs of exceptional range. Every time I hear `Between ..' it sounds special, because it is. It seems unfair to single out any tracks but `Can't you see' could be the foot-stomping killer, as majestic as `Rollin' on', closely followed by `Killing floor' and `Let me see you shake'.

Black Stone Cherry are the real deal, a 21st century classic, and `Between the devil and the deep blue sea' consolidates their deserved reputation as such.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSC have cemented their place in rock, 31 May 2011
BSC's first two studio albums were almost identical in terms of consistency, originality and sound. Both were filled with rich, hard-hitting guitar riffs and fantastically soulful vocals. The band managed to get over the hump of the ominous second album, a stumbling block for many. Crack the second album and you're probably the real deal. There are few rock bands out there today that can sustain that progress into a third album, but BSC have done just that. This album delivers on every front, the riffs are heavy, the content is original and the sound picks up exactly where the last album left off. One could shuffle the content of all 3 albums and nothing would be out of place.

The listener is sucked into the groove about 10 seconds after pressing the play button, "White Trash Millionaire" immediately emerges has an anthem and you will struggle not to bang your head to the beat of this track. Other stand out tracks are "Killing Floor", "Such a Shame" and "Blame it on the Boom Boom". It is clear that the band has put a lot of work into this album, not only with regards to inception, the post-production is first class as well. There is virtually no fat - every riff, every solo and every lyric warrants it's place. Frankly the band couldn't have done a better job with the follow up considering the quality of the first two albums. They have also managed to evolve ever so slightly without negatively impacting their style - Chris is somewhat more experimental and pushes himself to the edge and there are more backing vocals than on previous creations which also add to the feel of a very polished product, however none of that trade mark original raw colourful rock sound has been lost.

This album re-confirms BSC as one of the best rock bands on the planet today, and arguably one of the most under-rated. Let's hope there are plenty more like this on the way. Buy this album, press play and see how long you manage to hold on for before you crank up the volume and relentlessly bang your head along to the sound of John smacking that snare.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best rock CD's of the year., 31 May 2011
G. Heywood (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
Since the album surprised me by turning up a few days early, I have had a chance to give it a few spins. I must say, I am pretty impressed. Their self-titled album was the first one I got, and like perhaps with a lot of bands, it remains a benchmark for them to try and match. Have they done it? No, perhaps not (or maybe that is unfair and I am being biased!), but this is still a good CD.

Blame it on the Boom Boom, White Trash Millionaire, Killing Foor, Stay, and Change are all fantastic songs (must also include the bonus track Fade Away), and worthy additions to the BSC stable.

What make a typical BSC song? Bluesy (and ballsy) crunching guitars, slamming drums, and Chris Roberston's deep booming vocals. This album is so full of Les Paul goodness I feel like a better player just by having it near me.

Great Southern rock from a great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
L. J. Macpherson (uk) - See all my reviews
brill album by a great band, soulful blues rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it loud, 20 Jun 2014
This is the album that let's you hear what Black Stone Cherry are all about Great album Buy it now

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 8 Jun 2014
Love tthis CD and so did my boyfriend cannot wait for another one to it is great music and the singer has an amazing voice!