Slumber
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£0.99

I don't really read many fantasy books because to be truthful, quite often I find them really heavy going, but this lovely romantic fantasy by Samantha Young was a delight to read. With adorable main characters and a great plotline it was hard to put down.

The story is set in the fantasy world of Phaedra where the Princezna (Princess) Haydyn has ruled, with the help of the Rada (her council) since her fathers death. The main character, Rogan, is Haydyn's handmaiden and best friend and has to go on a terribly dangerous journey to save the Princezna's life when she falls sick with the Sleeping disease.

Rogan was such a fun character to follow. With her determination to save Haydyn's life come hell or high water and her denial of her attraction to the head of the Guards, Captain Wolfe, she made for very interesting reading. My favourite character was Wolfe, who I loved before I knew how the story was even going to unfold. I don't think anything would have put me off him. Tall, strong, handsome, a little moody and a nobleman to boot. The snarky conversations and comments between Wolfe and Rogan made me laugh so much.

This story wasn't all just love though. Rogan had a tough quest to follow and went through many hardships along the way and I loved how she became a much stronger and decisive person whilst on her journey. There were many secondary characters along the way - some scary and had me on the edge of my seat while others were kind and sincere. My favourite of these characters was young `L' Moss who was a mountain girl and as rough as they come, but also very dependable and sweet (although I think if `L' knew I'd just called her sweet she'd probably throw up!)

Slumber swept me through a full range of emotional highs and lows, and yes at one point I was trying to read through teary eyes whilst at others I was holding my breath so long my chest hurt.

There is a very handy guide at the beginning of the book which includes a map of Phaedra, covering the countries Provinces so that you can follow Rogan on her journey and also an index of the names/terms used in the book. Both of these I found very useful.

Slumber is a definite must read for YA fantasy lovers and if you've never read fantasy before, but have been thinking about giving this genre a go, Slumber would be a great place to start. Some of the content in Slumber may not be suitable for younger teens.
on 3 November 2011
I really loved this book. It was fast paced throughout, full of adventure, excitement, magic, wit and a little romance thrown in - everything you would want and expect from what has been said to be based around the Sleeping Beauty story. I couldn't put it down.
I really loved the main characters Rogan and Wolfe and think that they are the best so far from Samantha Young. I have now read all her books on my kindle and i really enjoy her writing. Slumber was different too the other Samantha Young books that i have read so i was unsure if the story was for me, but i must say that i am glad that i bought it. I finished very quickly and it left me wanting more!
on 30 December 2012
Rogan's childhood is cut short when a man called Stovia kills her family and takes her and others who have magical talents to secure Princezna Haydyn power after her father's death. Now having growing up together Haydyn and Rogan have become as close sisters but when Haydyn starts dying, only Rogan's powers can find the flower that will save her. However, the man who is meant to look after her is Wolfe, the son of the man who ruined her life, can she trust him or will she fall for the man who she should hate.

Slumber is a unique retelling of sleeping beauty because it is told from the point of view of her best friend. This book is a great mix of romance and fantasy with nonstop action.

Rogan is a really likable character who has not had an easy life but has come out stronger for it and I could empathise with her and understand her decisions. I also like Haydyn who is sweet and does not really believe in herself. However my favourite character is Wolfe as he has a clear sense of right and wrong and is the perfect fantasy hero.

Young has also put a lot of detail into the secondary characters especially L who is brave yet sweet at the same time. Also the world building is interesting with the different types of magic especially Haydyn's Dyvatzi power which I have not heard of similar before.

I love Slumber and cannot wait to read L's story in Sneak Thievery when it comes out. I would recommend Slumber to people who like fantasy romance and fairytales.
on 6 June 2011
I'm only half way through this book, but feel compelled to write a review. Its brilliant - so diffrent, but utterly addictive - I cant put it down. Ms Youngs leading men are getting hotter by the book, but whos complaining!! Its great and i cant wait for part two.
on 30 November 2012
I don't think I have ever been more annoyed at myself (in a good way). If I remember correctly i looked at this book after reading Sam's Lunamorte series but thought it wasn't something i would enjoy, so didn't bother buying it. Then i was looking for something to read, saw it on Amazon and thought 'what the hell' you've never been disappointed by Samantha Young before. Well...I have no idea what i was thinking the first time around, as this is exactly the type of book i look to buy.
I loved all the characters in this story and they were all very well written.
Taken as a child for her power to be able to find anything anyone asks for, Rogan's story starts of a very sad one and for someone who has been through so much at such a young age, Rogan is very brave and strong and has dealt with the life she was forced into very well, even growing to care for the people at the palace. Rogan lives in a time where woman don't have as many rights, freedom of speech and choices. This doesn't stop her however, and she speaks her mind whether people like it or not (they generally tend not to). Especially when it comes to a certain Captain of the Guard, Rogan hates the man and doesn't hide her feelings towards him either, yet in every way she has met her match this time.
Wolfe Stovia's father was the one who came and took Rogan as a child, destroying her family forever. Even with his father long dead Rogan holds a special hatred for the Captain and believes him to be just like his father, even believing he is waiting to take his revenge on Rogan for his fathers death.
When Rogan's best friend Haydyn slips into a sleep that will soon claim her life, Rogan has no other option than to travel with Captain Wolfe and the Royal Guard to try and find a cure for Haydyn.
The arguments between Captain Wolfe and Rogan were brilliant! At times i really did feel sorry for all those guards having to travel with them, because at times i just wanted someone to lock the two of them in a room together until they realized their feelings for one another. Perhaps even bang their heads together just for pay back ;)
On their journey to save Haydyn, Rogan gets herself into trouble over and over again by continually disobeying the orders of the Captain (poor man!) forcing him to come and rescue her. The mission begins to teach Rogan more about herself and that you can leave the past in the past without forgetting where she came from and the family she lost.
The closer she gets the Wolfe the more she thinks she misjudged him all along. But can she forget who his father is and learn to trust him? Could she possibly love him?
Rogan and Wolfe take the main love story but there is another one played out lightly in the background between Haydyn and Matai - her personal guard. Their ending is left unclear as Matai is too low in rank to marry Haydyn, so she is left with the choice whether to marry for love or duty.

I really enjoyed this book. A part of me angry that i refused to put it down and now it is finished :(

Although, saying that. I feel the way Samantha ended the story there is defiantly room for a sequel (please, please, please!). After Haydyn wakes up she has also changed and some might question whether for the good or not.

I have never bought a Samantha Young book and thought it was a disappointment and Slumber didn't just keep my expectations but blasted them all through the roof.

Great job Sam!!!

5/5
on 19 February 2012
Addictive.

Synopsis: A sleeping beauty may be the damsel in distress, but her White Knight? Why her rather un-knightish best friend of course. And the White Knight's White Knight? Well... none other than her reluctant mortal enemy...

When Haydyn falls victim to the mysterious Sleeping Disease, the world of Phaedra is thrown into Chaos.
Rogan, Haydyn's best friend and handmaiden, is the only one who can save her. Together, with the Royal Guard and their young Captain, Wolfe Stovia, Rogan must set off across the provinces to find the Somna Plant that will wake Haydyn from her dying sleep.

Beset on all sides by the chaos, Rogan tumbles into a dark world of kidnapping, prejudice, betrayal and love... a journey that will change her forever, and a journey that will change their world forever, if she does not retrieve the cure.

After I ssw this on amazon for free, I couldn't resist trying out another Samantha Young book! I read Smokeless Fire a few weeks ago and found it entertaining, so I was hoping for the same reaction while reading Slumber. To my surprise, I ended up liking it more than I expected!

Characters
Rogan; an interesting young girl, she knows how to handle herself in alarming situations. She is a fighter, yet vulnerable at times. She wasn't boring, like I thought she would be, instead she was exciting, full of energy and spirit!

Wolfe; Swoon-worthy boy here! There's so much I want to say about this boy!!!!! He was delightful. Moody at times but always has a good reason to be. He does take his job as a protector very seriously, and he can't help but doing his job when he does not need to. He wants to protect everyone, keep everyone, except himself, out of harms way. He is very passionate and can be very kind, but he has some secrets of his own. I was eager to read more about him as soon as he and Rogan set off on their quest.

I don't have much to say about the rest, okay, that's a lie. I have PLENTY to say about the awesome characters that were introduced in this book. I found them all quite intriguing, they all had a story to tell. L, for instance, was a strong and confident young woman. She helped Rogan with her quest when she did not need to. Very generous.

Slumber, wasn't a book that I thought I would read. It was the cover that interested me in the first place, but of course having seen that Samantha Young wrote it was a bonus. I would love to have a real copy of the book to see what the cover is like for real. I must say, all books by Samantha, have beautiful covers! I absolutely love them!

I am now seriously addicted to Samantha Young's books. They are all so easily to get lost in and so easy to enjoy! Samantha also has a very unique writing style, that I really do love. I recommend this to all YA paranormal lovers.

<Read more of my reviews at: (...)>
on 13 February 2013
I did not find this book Slumber at all easy to get into.I was half way through before I began to enjoy it. I am now reading another of Samantha Youngs books Moon Spell .I am finding it very similar difficult to get into at the beginning.As a result I will not be trying any more. Moon Spell (the Tale of Lunarmorte.
on 13 June 2012
Slumber is a great book, one of those rare books that you just can't stop reading and after it's finished you can't stop thinking about it. It's the first Samantha Young book I've read and I was half way through when I bought all her other books.
I love the way she doesn't sugar coat anything. The setting, the characters, the events, the emotions - everything is very real in this book and little is left to the imagination or readers' own interpretation.
The main character - Rogan - comes alive from the very beginning. She's very well developed as a character and carries the whole book on her shoulders. With the help of her male lead, of course. He's called Wolfe and is the most swoon-worthy character I've read this year.
Honestly, there's nothing bad about this book. I read it in a day and can't wait for the next part.
on 12 August 2012
I really liked Slumber, much more than I thought I would. 'Smokeless Fire' is my favourite story by Samantha Young so far, but 'Slumber' is a close cut. The story is fast paced, there's lots of action, and a great love story. Rogan is brilliant, although sometimes I wanted to shake some sense into her and tell her to give that poor Wolfe a break ;-) I know this was supposed to be the start of a trilogy, but I feel it would be best to leave it as a stand alone, it's great on it's own. Well done Samantha! Must be the scottish air that makes you come up with so many engaging stories :) Keep going!(less)
on 27 April 2013
Once I got used to the world, the rules and all the characters I came to love this book. (I felt like I'd missed out on book one of the series though as the world felt very set and like it had been previously explained -maybe there are other books set here that I've missed.)
Anyway that aside, it's a classic fantasy story based around a quest, but it didn't feel too forced and I loved the main characters. I'd definitely like to read more books set in this world, there are some great secondary characters that deserve their own story.