Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 3 October 2014
Expensive, but very good - excellent built quality and flash stability; good battery life with 4x rechargeable AA's.
Alternatively, buy 3 cheaper flash units and radio transceivers, but lose out on Nikon CLS.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 January 2014
Nikon has made some incredible speed lights in the past decade or so.

i-TTL is the name of the tech that means that almost every image you take is perfectly exposed, no matter how much pressure you put on this flash.

So we know Nikon has the tech. Indeed the Nikon SB-800 Speedlight is a stunning piece of kit! I have owned one for 4 or 5 years and it has been faultless! Literally.
It never stopped working and still works now. I just know that eventually my SB-800 will die as it is near the end of its lifecycle. And I can't afford for that to happen mid-shoot so that's why I have bought this beauty.

So what was there to improve?

Well more power for a start. Though the SB-800 is very capable the SB-910 adds a massive dose of oomph and linked with an even longer zoom (up to 200mm) this really shows when taking images from further away.
It is also better weather sealed than the SB-800.

Thankfully Nikon won't force you to buy the exorbitant SD-9a External Flashlight Battery Pack SD-9A for Nikon SB-900 but you can use the SD-8A if you already own it (I do and I am extremely glad I don't need to buy the new one. The SD-9a allows a recycle time of >1 second whereas the SD-8a is about 1.2 seconds. I can deal with that.

Of course the menu is much improve and is super easy to use. I love the fact that the creative lighting system is now accessed by a simple switch rather than fiddly menus! It make a huge difference. Actually the whole UI is WAY easier to understand.

The accessories are much better with fluorescent and incandescent filters now proper clip on affairs rather than gel filters. The one thing I would say is that the diffuser dome is a little large but perhaps that is a small price to pay.

Actually the whole unit is very large and it dwarfs the SB-800 - I will upload an image to prove my point.

But yes this is the best flash Nikon make at the minute and I must say it is sublime. Such a step up from the SB-800. It should do everything you need it to very well.

It'll swivel in every direction. bend over backwards if needs be so you can get that all important shot.

What more is there to need?

The one thing I will say is that if you aren't a pro or an extremely serious amateur the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flash Unit is likely to fulfil your needs for about £120 less. It is an extremely capable flags and i think worth its weight in gold.
Keep that in mind.

Other than that this is a 5 star product!
review image
on 8 April 2013
a great product , not too easy to get through all menus , but when you do and see the results , it is well worth the extra outlay
on 4 June 2013
Excellent price and Guide range
Battery life good and recharge speed is good

Always have plenty of spare battery (caution) if you out for gig and unlike SB-900 doesn't come up
with overheating warning - meaning you need to stop shooting. All that it does if it gets too warm is too slow the repeating flash and recycle time thus controlling the overheating situation.

Nice LCD and control layout.

One minor bug bear is with Nikon who should have recalled the SB-900 and repair the unit or give the SB-910 as replacement or some $$/£ off the SB-910;
on 24 December 2014
An absolute fantastic flashgun and even better as a Amazon Warehouse Deal! I was considering the SB-700 but when the offer came up for an SB-910 I took a chance. It was perfect, in the packaging as new. A super product that has worked a treat for me with a D5100, D5200 & D5300. I am really impressed with it and it has improved my photography options. So if you are in too minds about which Nikon flashgun to buy, go for the SB-910 with extra power and future proof against new camera purchases, like going FX.
on 7 October 2013
Excellent flash. Build quality is second to none. I've had it a few month now, sure its a touch expensive but in my opinion well worth it, as it will last for many many years and will still be one of the top flashes around. I've used it on camera, off camera, as part of multiple flash setups. Its easy to control as a slave from the camera. Also in master mode its simple to control all the other flashes. If you do a lot of flash photography then this is the flash you and your pictures deserve.
on 27 December 2012
I already have the previous SB-900 model which is known to have an overheating issue when used for firing a high number of consecutive shots. Fortunately, this issue has been addressed with the newer SB-910 model, which also has a couple of additional features. The SB-910 pack now includes 2 hard cover filters, one for fluorescent and one for incandescent filtering, as well as the standard diffusion dome. The whole kit comes neatly packaged in a new shape soft case, which also houses the speedlight stand. I have now used the SB-910 several times as one of the components of my Nikon creative lighting system and it works extremely well. One additional modification to the previous model is a useful locking system on the battery compartment. Overall thoroughly recommended.
on 27 September 2015
Replaced my trusty and much loved SB-700 with this 910 for the extra power and have not been disappointed. II use it mainly for portraits and internal architecture shots and it delivers consistently, every time. Works flawlessly with my D800 and now D750, on and off camera. Found the transition from the SB-700 easy, as they share control layout.

Expensive compared to non-nikon units, but a great build quality and convenience worth the price.
on 14 September 2013
Excellent speed light, very powerful and easy to control, the only downside is the rather fiddle master switch on the back . Especially if you have big fingers....all reviews easily found on net. Buy high output rechargeables as with a lot of use your batteries will run out before the end of the days shoot..can be used to control CLS from the flash back saves having to go into the camera to tweak the expo settings for OFC
on 29 April 2014
I've wanted a flash for sometime as I wasn't happy with the on camera flash and boy I'm glad I bought the SB-910, I'm still new to flash photography but I can see a great difference to my photos using this flash, I could have gone for a cheap flash but after seeing the reviews on Amazon about the SB-910 my mind was made up, so if your thinking about buying a flash you can't go wrong with the Nikon SB0-910.