5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Guns, Smoking Mobsters
Firstly this is not my usual genre. I usually read historical fiction.

I happened across this author through twitter. I found my feed frequently naming `For Nothing' as a exceptionally good read.

Published 24 months ago by eumaeus

2.0 out of 5 stars Very confusing
The problem is that you have two people working undercover, so they have real names and fake names. The author can refer to either of these characters by either of their surnames or forenames, sometimes in subsequent sentences. I had to keep working out which character was being referred to. There is also quite cast of other characters, who could be referred to by...
Published 14 months ago by Christine Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Guns, Smoking Mobsters, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: For Nothing (An Upstate New York Mafia Tale Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly this is not my usual genre. I usually read historical fiction.

I should also add that I read this more than a month ago and it was seeing further reviews that have prompted me to follow suit. I don't usually provide reviews, but there's always room for an exception...so here we go.

Taking a note of the ebook price, I opted to download rather than read an overview or reviews of readers. Usually you'd be ill-advised to do this, but I took a gamble, based purely on the tweets I'd read.

This book is one of mobsters, the good ole fashioned, gun totting lunatic, set (roughly) in present day Buffalo, New York A note here: The Nicholas Denmon doesn't use Americanisms too often, which as a Briton I found refreshingly pleasing. I could have easily assumed this was a British author.

The first chapter uses the standard formula of setting the scene. Here we're given instant drama at a steady but by no means slow pace. Picture film noir, long dark shadows, even shadowy characters, cigarettes and naturally guns, more guns and the occasional blade.

The author begins to introduce additional characters to the plot. Always healthy if like films, we're damned sure many will face certain death by a bullet firmly wedged somewhere about their body.

Our mobsters take on the characteristics often presented on the silver screen too. Real men, hard, dark, moody, partial to a drop or two of a good spirit and dressed in the all important Italian suit and with the obligatory hat...naturally. Our bad guys are heavy smokers too, but this is mob-land, and where mobsters go, you can be sure a smoking induced cackle will follow.

It is during this scene setting, we are introduced to our protagonist, an estranged 30 something, who lives for the job, hard working and loyal; seemingly alone in a city run by mobsters.

Not to fret, we're given a generous handful of other good guys as they do battle to bring a semblance of order to Buffalo. But is it too late, with a mob war on the horizon, which when it gets going, bullets are sure to start flying.

Kept on their toes, with never a mention of a doughnut, we're given an antagonist, the assassin. On a note here, I found the attention given to our assassin to be so warm, I began to feel deep sympathy for him; especially his loneliness with a tender sprinkling of love found then lost. He trusts few, very few but does develop friendship with people most of us would find rather unsavoury until we stop to think even hardened mobsters have fears.

This book continues to entertain, we're also given a good few laughs too, or perhaps moments that my darker sense of humour found to be laugh-out-loud-able.

This book is a stonker like books of old, the type that become classics in their own right, usually becoming a high profile film.

The author is without doubt an entertainer of the greatest literary sense. You are in for a real treat.

Who could I compare the author with, I couldn't say. As mentioned this is a whole new genre for me, one that I am now keenly hooked on.

Go buy this book, I'm off to download the next instalment while preparing a semi-lit room, complete with a steaming hot cup of coffee and a pack of 20 smokes, and already overflowing ashtray.

Enjoy, you'll be asking for more!

@eumaeusodyssey

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 9 July 2011
This is a story of a man avenging his friends death and finding himself in the middle of a war between two mafia families.

This story never let up once. I was hooked from page one and could not put it down. The author did a good job of explaining the different aspects of mafia life and hierarchy. There were many twists and turns and just when I thought I was on the right track I was thrown another curveball. The ending was totally unexpected and was clearly left wide open for a sequel. I for one cannot wait for that sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Nothing, 30 May 2011
Nicholas Wastnage "Author" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
A fast-moving and entertaining read with masses of action. Nicholas Denmon's gripping mafia tale kept me riveted until the end. His description of the characters is realistic, three-dimensional and described in a way that makes them easy to visualise and lifelike. It's full of authentic gangster dialogue and exciting well-described scenes. The skilful and pacy plot twists and turns in unexpected ways. I look forward to the next one.
Electronic Crime in Muted Key

5.0 out of 5 stars A rip roaring thriller, 24 April 2013
This is totally not my type of genre to read - but I am so glad I gave it the time. It gripped me from the first page and really kept the pace going all the way through.

I really liked how you got to know ever so slightly the main characters as you know there is still more to come in the next instalments. Dont know why but I did have some sympathy for Rafeal. Fully appreciate he is a cold bloodied killer, but there is something underneath that made him that way. Cant wait to find out more.

If you are not familiar with mafia style books (I am not) please dont let this put you off. You really dont need to understand any of that background. All you need to know is there for you - well explained and researched. I am saying this but I really dont know one type of gun from another or different methods of inflicting pain on another person. The fact it was all so believeable is the true mark of a good author.

Way to go Nicholas Denmon

5.0 out of 5 stars For Nothing, 28 Nov. 2012
For nothing leads you on a journey of betrayal, murder, mystery, thrillers galore and who dunnits, the pricing and the editing are second to none and this story leaves you gasping for more, just like the ol' black and white movies back in the forties, this is a fast paced read that left me mesmerized and looking forward to another installment from Nicholas Denmon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, 12 April 2013
Having met a certain Nicholas Denmon on Twitter and getting to know this pleasant and friendly guy I decided to give his book For Nothing a try. Although I like crime thrillers I have not read many which have a Mafia plot. How wrong was I about Mafia story lines. This book grabs you from the start and reels you in. The descriptions of the area, weather and the characters makes you visualize everything clearly in your head. With twists and turns who really is the good and the bad and is it all For Nothing? Well done Nick, Buffalo Soldiers here I come.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Nothing - A captivating read., 22 April 2013
This review is from: For Nothing (Paperback)
This is the first mafia book that I have read and I really enjoyed it. The Author has taken time to ensure that first time mafia story readers like myself are not lost with the terminology or the family structures he ensures that you feel and understand the strong respectful family bonds built by the Italians over time.

This bond of family and friendships is equally shared by the vengeful undercover policeman that is determined to get revenge for the death of his childhood friend no matter what the cost to him professionally or personally.

The opening page had me utterly mesmerized by the descriptive writing; although the opening scene is gory it is beautifully written.

This set the expectations high for the rest of the book and the author dose not disappoint he captures your mind and pulls you deep into the world of each character as you glide through their individual rolls within the story, allowing you to feel their tense emotional pain as the story progresses.

Just as you think you have worked out the plot it is snatched away from you. This book keeps you hooked right until you have turned the last page leaving you desperate to read the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 8 July 2011
69p ... thought I'd give it a go !So glad I did ... An absolute steal. Brilliant. I loved it. Definitely want a sequel !Such a professional editing job too as for 69p you usually find an appalling edited ebook but this was flawless to my memory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and dangerous thriller, 3 Jun. 2014
Gareth K. Stokes (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A hard-boiled gritty thriller, vividly describing the Mafia underbelly and the fragile undercover cops that work within it.

The central core of this story is about one such undercover cop seeking revenge against the assassin that killed his best friend. But the environmental surrounding is rich with betrayal, violence, and vengeance.

In addition to Alex Vaughn’s hunt for the infamous killer, Rafael Rontego, the reader gets a fly-on-the-wall perspective of the complexities of mob rivalry. It’s an ugly story beautifully described.

Alex has given up his personal life as an undercover cop, and regrets it. Rafael’s ego pushes him slap bang in the middle of rival mob clans. Alex’s hunt for the killer of his friend achieves the same end. And both must fight for their survival – from the mob organisations, and from one another.

With crooked cops thrown in, and intense all-round rivalry, demarcation lines keep getting redrawn. Thus, trust is a rarity; Suspicion and duplicity are rife.

This is fast-paced, exciting and… a recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ~ a story that moves, 1 Dec. 2012
The first thing that will grab you is the smart pacing of the story. There's a great balance between descriptive prose that engages every one of your senses and a forward-moving intrigue that will captivate your imagination. The author develops a need-to-know-more plot that will keep you turning pages. A compelling drama ~ definitely a good read.