5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for any parent of a teenager.
This book is brilliant. As the mother of a teenager I was able to relate to every page in this book. It was spot-on! It gives good advice and explains why teenagers act the way they do. After reading this book I realised that my son is very, very normal whereas before I was sometimes seriously wondering where I had gone wrong!
If you have a teenager I would...
Published on 7 April 2002 by A. B. Maurer

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness other parents suffer like me
Doesn't tell you how to stop teenagers misbehaving, but tries to show you why they do and say the awful things they do. Reassuring to know that others suffer as well and that you are not alone in living with the child from hell. Sadly this seems to be part of the growing up that they go through and it seems to happen too early in their childhood.
I have a 14 year...
Published on 8 May 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my sanity!, 2 Sep 2010
This book was recommended to me in the nick of time. At the beginning of the summer holidays I was tearing my hair out trying to cope with my teenage son.
Reading the book helped me to analyse and understand more clearly what was going on, gave me confidence in sticking to certain rules, and helped us devise different strategies for coping with other demands.
Prior to reading the book, my son's behaviour had changed almost overnight - one day suffering extreme shyness and anxiety : then suddenly, wanting a full-on full time social life, and at the same time turning from being pliable and willing to please, to argumentative and defiant, so we were dealing with full on teenage angst and a bucket load of new friends/places/boundaries without having built up any experience in handling them (and nor had he!). We desperately wanted to help him develop his friendships, but knew that we needed to set parameters .
Whilst the book doesn't give you all the answers (nor does it pretend to), it does help massively in understanding what is going on, and so helps create strategies for dealing confidently and calmly with different issues.
Whilst we still certainly don't have all the answers - life now is much less stressful, ( I even enjoy my son's company again- sometimes !) and I would throughly recommend this book to anyone with teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant value for money - would recomend to any parent of a teenager !!!, 9 Nov 2009
To put it mildly, I was frought with the "joys" of having both a teenage daughter and son .....I thought I would go mad. I needed help, and turned to Amazon and found this book, and I am glad that I did. I would recommend it to anyone with teenagers, who has had teenagers, or who will have teenagers. It was amusing, it sounded as if it had been written for me, and most importantly, it showed to me that I wasnt the only one going through this stage, and how to deal with issues as they arose.

I also found it helpful that the book constantly reminded you that this was only a stage they were going through, this wasnt to be forever, and I took comfort in that. I can honestly say, my house, and attitude has changed, and I am actually enjoying my teenagers, and realising how much fun they can be....

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book!, 16 Mar 2010
Suzy D (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This book is an absolute MUST for anyone with teenagers! I wish I had read it about a year ago. Not only do I have two teenagers of my own, but I also work with teenagers. This book could have been written specifically for me...the quotes and examples used made me think that the author had based it on events and comments in my home! Fabulous book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get out of my life, 11 Feb 2010
S. R. King - See all my reviews
Interesting take on how the author interprets the actions of youngsters. Not much practical advice in the first half of the book but gets better in the second half.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL reading for parents of teenagers !!, 12 Aug 2009
J. Street "gingan99" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This BRILLIANT book quite possibly saved me from insanity whilst trying to deal with my Jekyll & Hyde teenage son. It is so painfully accurate that I laughed out loud reading it, at a time when I didn't much feel like laughing! The book explains WHY teenagers behave the way they do, helping me to "chill" about tantrums and demands, and not take them personally or be hurt by them. Because of this book I have made the effort to develop closer working relationships with my son's friends parents, and gained a lot of support in the process. I keep the book by my bed and read relevant sections when needed - READ IT AND BE SAVED FROM TEENAGE HELL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Out of My Life... but can you take me and Alex into town, 7 July 2009
H. Bunn "Hellywelly" (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
Being the mother of teenage girls I wish I had read this book earlier. It is witty but with a serious message and some clues on the psychy of the little darlings. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should own this book!, 21 April 2009
J. Ruddle (Kent) - See all my reviews
I was having a pretty tough time with my 15 year old daughter and needed some sound advice. This book offers reassurance that you're not a bad parent because you can no longer control your child, and that your child isn't bad because he/she doesn't behave the way you did when you were a child! It explains how parenting methods have had to change due to the change in the world in which we bring our children up. There are some useful techniques you can use, when your little darling is testing you to your limits! Definitely recommend this book. Oh and I love the title of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 10 Mar 2009
I heartily recommend this book. I read it in one sitting and my relationship with my 13 year-old daughter changed for the better at once. As other reviewers have said, it offers very little in the way of advice; this was a great relief as I had never managed to stomach or stick with other parenting programmes. The example scenarios are very true to life. I am very grateful to the authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenager tantrums, 10 July 2007
T. Rogers (England) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the book, it was both witty and right on the money. I have already recommended it to 3 people. It's not full of advice but it does a good job of making the reader aware that we really cant control everything our teenagers do but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real,practical,liberating..., 14 May 2008
This is the book I was waiting for on living with teenagers! It respects both parents and teenagers, is not patronising or guilt inducing and offers realistic, intelligent, insight into sharing life that's fun and forgiving. As a parent and practitioner I have used and recommended thisf book again and again.If you only buy one book on parenting adolescents-let it be this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›