5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for any parent of a teenager.
This book is brilliant. As the mother of a teenager I was able to relate to every page in this book. It was spot-on! It gives good advice and explains why teenagers act the way they do. After reading this book I realised that my son is very, very normal whereas before I was sometimes seriously wondering where I had gone wrong!
If you have a teenager I would...
Published on 7 April 2002 by A. B. Maurer

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness other parents suffer like me
Doesn't tell you how to stop teenagers misbehaving, but tries to show you why they do and say the awful things they do. Reassuring to know that others suffer as well and that you are not alone in living with the child from hell. Sadly this seems to be part of the growing up that they go through and it seems to happen too early in their childhood.
I have a 14 year...
Published on 8 May 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me realise it was all normal!, 6 April 2013
I bought this book at the same time as 'I'd listen to my parents if they'd just shut up', as I was desperate. This book made me feel better just by reading it! As with the other book, when I first read it, it made me laugh and it made me cry. I could hear my teenage son's voice saying all the same phrases in my head. I found out where I was going wrong and, most importantly, what I was doing right. Both books tackle up-to-date issues such as the internet, mobile phones, social networking sites and how to cope. It gives hints and tips to make life with your teenager better and, although there are probably too many tips to implement at once, once you start doing it and your teen stops in his tracks mid-rant, you start to feel more in control. If you have specific issues, the book index makes it easy to find the situation you are having a problem with so you can dip into it and read up on it. Sometimes, just de-camping to my room to read the chapter on the latest crisis was enough to defuse a bad situation. As I continued to read more of the book, I realised that we were both normal, this was all normal behaviour. It isn't enough to say things like 'I would never have behaved like that to my parents', because we live in a different world. I realise that my parents ruled by fear and we don't do that any more, so we have to find other strategies to get the behaviour we want from our kids and this book helped me do that. My son's behaviour had been a shock to me, as my daughter (3 years older) had never been as bad as my son now is. We had had our arguments, but nothing like the terrible, bitter rages that I get from my son. I have been really desperate and I really did not want the Police involved -again- (it was that bad). All too often, especially as a single parent with no extended family, it was easy to think that it was all my fault because I was a terrible mother. It made me realise why my son says what he does and why he behaves in that manner. I have hidden the books from him, as I don't think he would appreciate me getting the back-up/knowledge and the psychological tools to beat him at his own game! To sum it up, this book has given me hope......that one day I'll realise that my son has emptied the dishwasher without me asking and then made me a cup of coffee....and all with a smile!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recognition and Reassurance, 20 Dec. 2002
L G Ashford (Redditch, Worcestershire England) - See all my reviews
Whilst this book does not offer any solutions, or even advice, it is invaluable for the sense of recognition and reassurance which it brings about when dealing with prickly, angry, confused adolescents. I understand now what is happening to my daughter, which is a great relief, and which will equip me to deal with her rages with a degree of insight, sympathy, and compassion, the latter of which which I admit I found it hard to muster prior to reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, 12 Nov. 2011
Really useful book. No prescriptions just helpful insights into the teenage mind. Above all a real confidence booster for parents and a reminder that it's not ALL YOUR FAULT! If you're more interested in the 'why' and 'what's going on' than the 'what to do' (not much, as it turns out, just be supportive and wait for them to grow out of it) then this is a great little book. I found the chapters on Communication and Trust, Controlling Your Teenager and Conflict particularly illuminating, but the section on the outside world (school, electronics, sex, drugs, etc) is also thought-provoking and informative, with some realistic scenarios. I also looked at "Divas and Doorslammers" but this is much more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every parent should own this book!, 21 April 2009
J. Ruddle (Kent) - See all my reviews
I was having a pretty tough time with my 15 year old daughter and needed some sound advice. This book offers reassurance that you're not a bad parent because you can no longer control your child, and that your child isn't bad because he/she doesn't behave the way you did when you were a child! It explains how parenting methods have had to change due to the change in the world in which we bring our children up. There are some useful techniques you can use, when your little darling is testing you to your limits! Definitely recommend this book. Oh and I love the title of it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness other parents suffer like me, 8 May 2002
By A Customer
I have a 14 year old daughter who has more good days than bad at the moment, but also a 12 year old daughter who has more bad than good, having been the perfect mother's little helper all her life!
Still, I hold in there and hope that we will all be friends in the not too distant future.
The book is being passed on to a similarly abused friend with 2 daughters!

4.0 out of 5 stars Grounding, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Get Out of My Life: The bestselling guide to living with teenagers (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this book. Ive been floundering with my teenage son for a while now. He has recently been diagnosed with depression, so this book helped me to separate what is normal male teenage behaviour as opposed to depression. Quite easy to get the two mixed up or intertwined. It tells it like it is, without a lot of scaremongering. I realised after reading it that Im actually a good parent to my teenage son, and the fact that he can and does come and speak to me when he is having problems gives me a sense of pride. It is so confusing being the parent of a teenager, and you can often be thrown into such a range of emotions that you dont know where you are, so it was helpful to be able to see that Im not the only one. I have a 13 year old daughter, and know I will be reading this book again in the next few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 10 Mar. 2009
I heartily recommend this book. I read it in one sitting and my relationship with my 13 year-old daughter changed for the better at once. As other reviewers have said, it offers very little in the way of advice; this was a great relief as I had never managed to stomach or stick with other parenting programmes. The example scenarios are very true to life. I am very grateful to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book!, 16 Mar. 2010
Suzy D (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This book is an absolute MUST for anyone with teenagers! I wish I had read it about a year ago. Not only do I have two teenagers of my own, but I also work with teenagers. This book could have been written specifically for me...the quotes and examples used made me think that the author had based it on events and comments in my home! Fabulous book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Important on a biblical scale!, 1 Mar. 2014
Get Out of My Life was recommended by a friend in a really heartfelt manner, which I took to be a good sign... I read it virtually in one sitting, identified with the other parents' experiences and laughed and cried with relief as my feelings of inadequacy and isolation melted away. If you're feeling injured, inconsistent, angry and bewildered (I'm a single Mum of three but in this case I'd say your circumstances are immaterial) then cut yourself some slack and read this book. I now recommend it in a really heartfelt manner to everyone I know who has teenagers or kids on the verge of adolescence - it should be government-issued required reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars What about the parents?, 10 Jun. 2014
Preferred "Divas and DoorSlammers" by Charlie Taylor, has a more balanced sympathetic view. Whereas Get Out of My Life seemed barely to consider parents - are they simply just meant to put up and shut up, be verbal punch bags, even?

I liked this book on so many levels. It does offer great insight into adolescence. I left with a much deeper understanding of what adolescence is. A confusing, beautiful, and sometimes difficult time. But the book fails to consider parents in all this.

As the books suggests, a parent can "learn" to rack the aggravation down by not taking things personally and seeing the bigger picture - all helpful advice.

But I think the overly-liberal approach to behaviour can also have some undesirable consequences, you could even end up like a situation in e.g. "The Lost Child" by Julie Myerson. Parents need also to preserve their own sanity and self-respect.

The book offers great understanding on the need for teenage independence (esp. boys with their mothers) which I found most helpful. But I don't believe you have to take the constant 'attitude' and even abuse described in this book on an ongoing basis.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›