on 14 December 2011
This is easily one of the best bargains when it comes to hardware raid. This card costs about 50% of what you would pay for the same features from most other manufacturers. It covers all the major RAID modes 1,0,5,10 etc. and is surprisingly easy to setup. Maintenance and management is via a web interface which is very easy to use. In all honesty this is one of those components you can simply fit and forget. I would definitely recommend it.
on 4 December 2014
I had performance issues from the off with this card (detailed below):

1. Issue with drive sometimes disappearing on fresh boot
2. Frequent beeping when put under any sever load requiring a system restart
3. Slow copy times with symptoms of 100% active I/O and no actual copying taking place
4. Unresponsive state for minutes allowing no local or remote use of drives
5. Windows lockups and explorer crashes (stopped now card is removed)
6. Media latency issues when playing films/music or games from drives attached

Performance as a SATA extension card was adequate, however I purchased it as a RAID card, which is what its designed for, but its just not useable in that mode.

Still, there were things to try before I contacted highpoint support, product BIOS updates, product driver updates, BIOS updates to my motherboard, system scans, googling for known issues and fixes with the card etc.

2 months later and the card was still performing badly so, I logged a support ticket detailing everything regarding system spec, driver and bios versions etc and what the issue was, heres the response I received:

Dear Customer,
This is a normal behavior of this RAID adapter on RAID environment. Currently we don't have a good solution to solve this. What we can recommend to you is switch to a high-end IOP based adapter (RR452x series) which can provide a solution to fulfill your need.

Regards,
HIghPoint Support Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the solution was to purchase another one of their more expensive cards....I'll leave you to decide if that sounds like a good option or not!
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2013
Worked perfectly right out of the box and with the software updates gave me the 8 channel Raid 6 array I needed. Is fast and has worked faultlessly ever since
on 11 November 2014
BIOS is awful. Recognises my 4 drives, initialises them all, lets you select 'create array' and then promptly tells me that I don't have enough drives plugged in to create that RAID type. Raid 0, 1, 0+1... even JBOD (which only needs 1 disk!)... It makes no difference, its like it can see the drives enough to display their capacity, state and model numbers etc but not then actually use them.

Doesn't support WD Red drives!

[edit]
Highpoint support came to the rescue.

Their support page states that the latest BIOS for the 2720 is v1.5 - the version that came on the card. After a few emails back and forth confirming the problem, diagnosis steps etc they provided a new BIOS - v1.7 - released on the 24th July 2013.

Good news is that whilst their support website is 16 months out of date the new BIOS does indeed work. Drives correctly recognised and everything is happy. Raised rating from 1 to 3 star - I shouldn't have had to go through support to get something released so long ago!
on 1 April 2015
I have 3 of these! In 6 months of use i already have one 100% dead, and one with really big problems! The last one is still running ok, but in all this process i've lost huge amouts of data....

My advice? Buy only if you really are in a buged and pray! Improve cooling on this card, because it is all passive, and gets hot!
on 14 February 2016
No issues that other reviewers have. Perfect card.

Please note that this card requires a decent host (PC). The CPU in the host will need to do alot of the owrk for RAID calculations.

If you have a poor PC performance then a more expensive card with a CPU built in is required.
on 5 February 2014
You may be wondering why I gave this 3 stars and said "Almost perfect!"... Well let me explain:

I've never used another RAID card so I have nothing to compare it to, however, this seems to provide wonderful performance for my uses (RAID 5 with 4 x 4TB Seagate Barracudas) giving me approximately 450MB/s read and write (sequential) at optimal performance and it's relatively easy to set up and use.

However, for the first couple of weeks that I had this, it worked perfectly and my boot times had not been affected (other than a 10 second BIOS screen). But after a couple of weeks, my Windows boot time heightened to around 10 minutes, which at first seemed very ridiculous. Fortunately, I don't often switch my computer off so it's not a great nuisance, but I don't know why it does it and I can't figure out how to stop it. My computer works perfectly other than that, as does this card, but it's certainly something I can't figure out and does bug me. I'm assuming it's something to do with some drivers somewhere in my computer, whether it be the ones for this card or something else.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2014
Blistering performance with a pair of WD30 Red!
on 19 January 2015
I got this card thinking its ready to go but the 2 of high point int ms1 mas 1m mini sas to 4 sata cables were missing with out them the card is useless with out the cables so I bought some they are not cheap the card cost £150.00 notes the cable were £41.00 so not good value

See one answered question