5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and games on a snifter
This book is the best scalliwag book about being skint and going the match you'll ever read. I loved it. Read it in a day and laughed out loud about thity times. People by the pool were asking me for a lend but no way was I getting the book wet and torn.

Published on 30 Oct 2007 by terry s

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
A previous reviewer pointed out the glaring faults of this book so I wont labour the point (Though personally I would rather read this again than "Drink my own phlegm" But that's a personal choice I guess)

Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Gogol

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 4 Dec 2010
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Tells the tale of Liverpool's hooligan firm largely from the late 70s until the mid 80s. Its not written in the Danny Dyer "We 'ad a right proper tear up" "We steamed in" style that many of the mass produced hooligan books are written today the author uses (Well tries to anyway) A lot of local slang (Which may annoy some people not from Merseyside or even people who just find it frankly boring) And a fair bit of humour (Which again, some of the jokes are decent some you really wish he hadn't of bothered)

Like most books in this category, cheeky young lad, salt of the earth, joined a firm, went across Europe etc etc..... It would seem a lot of the violence takes place in the start of the book (late 70s) And the author doesn't shy away from the fact that Stanley knives where the weapon of choice (Though points out that things started to go against the Liverpool mob when other firms decided to also use Stanley knives on them) Interesting he is honest enough to point out the racism amongst his own firm (On a trip to Spurs when he gets the shock of his life being confronted by a multi racial mob) He is also honest enough to run (And spends large parts of the book doing just that) In fact most of the people he confronts are either unarmed or outnumbered. If numbers become even or if the other group are armed he seems to be off on his way in the other direction. Apparently the use of knives come from Liverpool grafters who had them for protection when selling knock off gear and tickets at away fixtures.

The rest of the book is filled with blagging into games, robbing small European towns (And we wonder why most of Europe hates us) And pointing out that one day the Liverpool mob will rise again if people keep taking liberties against Liverpool fans away (Yawn). Heysel and Hillsborough are also both covered (Again he is quite honest about Heysel and leaves aside the myth of it being caused by a combination of Chelsea and the National Front!)

Not a bad read at all, if you genuinely dont like Liverpool though you have to ask why bother even reading it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and games on a snifter, 30 Oct 2007

Any more books by this fella? Its like a travel book with no money, no respect for authority and about being utterly determined to have a buzz and see your team come what may

Those were the days my friend indeed!

Well in Mr Allt lad - its brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on., 27 Nov 2004
When I started to read Nicky's book I was not gripped by the 1st couple of chapters. Instead I was reading in dribs and drabs....this was probably my own fault, rather than that of the author, because as soon as I found the time I was gripped and finished it in 2 sittings.
Im not sure if people from outside the walls of the City of Liverpool will quite appreciate this book for the quality it possess. The use of language is unique in a book that has been nationally sold and acclaimed. Its local dialect and phrases are brilliant, and the humour, sarcasm, and story telling is 1st class.
It doesnt harp on too much about "we chased them" "they fronted us"...its just how it was. Scousers out for a laugh, and to do anything imagineable to watch their heroes.
Hats off to yer Nicky. A top read fella.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book despite certain claims, 29 Jan 2006
Unlike other books of this genre, there was no silly macho "we ran them" quotes which made it an enjoyable and funny read. I can realte to the author's recollections as I was a Canny Farm housing estate scal in the late 60s early 70s and followed Liverpool FC everywhere. In fact we were the ones who invented the ticket scam as written in the book. I thought it was well sussed by the time the author came on the scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars the boys from the mersey review, 27 April 2008
S. roberts (uk) - See all my reviews
if this the same book that was in the local libuary but is in a different cover now
the book is worth buying just too read about the soho insident(passports)
etc
the gang rape and the tragic loss of lifes in sheffield are not nice too read about and found it pretty grim, but thats the real world its not all ways nice
but back too the soho insident i was crying my eyes out for hours it was that funny!
many thanks
nicky please write another book please !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny Read, 11 Sep 2007
E. O. Brien (ireland) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be a totally different tale from the other "we legged 'em" football hooligan books.
The Liverpool crew seemed to be more interested in the craic, and various "shopping" trips around the glitzy european cities rather than the mindless violence other firms in britain partake in.
Good Book, Good Read.And you don't need to be a liverpool fan to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool Scally, 22 Oct 2005
After reading the other reviews posted here I think what they are missing is just how funny this book is! Maybe Mr. Allt's tales are somewhat embellished but they make for great reading. I could not put his book down and spent most of my time reading it laughing. Obviously the Liverpool years have not been without sorrow - both Heysel and Hillsborough are addressed in a thoughtful and honest manner.
As with all hooligan books I suspect that it was either ghost written or took a lot of editing - in either case the end result is a very well written tale. Loved the way it was written in scally language- have been away from Liverpool for awhile but this brought me right back. Nicky Allt appears to be the kind of guy who would be great to go for a bevie with. That is of course until he had one scoop too many and decided you were fair game for a swift Adidas Samba to the head!
This is without a doubt the best book of this genre I have read and I recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Those were the days my friend..., 10 May 2004
Brilliant and hilarious account of globetrotting shenanigans, following Liverpool FC. Not the usual flogged to death fighting fables that are trotted out by phoneys (though there are some dust ups fight fans), Nicky Allt’s book is much much more. A fantastic voyage that I’m sure many lads (particularly Liverpool fans in their late 30’s early 40’s) will relate to. De Niro’s already been pencilled in to play the Colonel in the film version, you heard it here first!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD READ, 26 Sep 2013
It kept me captivated for hours, I could noot put it down, if your into this kinda genre, then you need to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars top book, 30 Aug 2013
This book is great. A wonderful story of how liverpool football fans show their determination to watch matches and their love for the club.

The Boys From The Mersey