Colour: Bling Rhinestone Angel Wings|Change
Price:£21.05 - £108.50

on 31 December 2013
My almost 6 yr old daughter has gone through a number of bags since starting school last year, so I was looking for something robust. I was also in need of something with two compartments big enough to take a lunchbox in one and P.E kit & trainers in the other. This really fits the bill!
I thought the design was a little mature for a 6 yr old but she absolutely loves it, particularly the jewelled wings. The dark purple colour will hopefully keep it looking cleaner longer too. It's very well made and the pockets expand a lot deeper than they look. It's really roomy, well stitched and made of a thick fabric. Straps are also well padded. The insulated compartment should be a bonus in warmer weather too. Only slight negative is that the bottle holder is a very snug fit (difficult to get a standard water bottle into, but at least it won't be easily lost).
It's pricier than other bags we've had in the past, but on first impression appears worth the extra. Time will tell whether this one will last but I'm very optimistic!
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2014
Colour: Bling Rhinestone Star|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very good quality robust rucksack. It is light and just the right size for a child entering reception/infants at school, or for a similar aged child on a day out. It has an insulated section so a packed lunch will stay cool. The straps fit properly and safely on the back so it will be comfortable for wearing all day on an outing. Its pink and sparkly, but not tasteless. A good quality rucksack that should last a little girl for a long time.
My Backpack tester is a little girl coming up for 4 years old, who is due to start school in September.

The colour and the sparkly rhinestone start was a huge hit. She is a petite little girl and the bag did look a bit to big on her, but having said that she was comfortable with it and her Mum thought it would be very useful.

A particular feature that Mum liked, was the cooler section designed to hold the lunch food. Much better than needing to have an additional lunch box.

Apart from the lunch cooler compartment, there is a mesh bottle holder to one side, an outer compartment and then a large main compartment. This compartment has soooooooooooo much room, it is brilliant. On the inner front side of this compartment there is an organiser section for pens etc and as the child gets older, a mobile phone if they have one. The front outer compartment is not zipped and is a useful are to just put things in quickly - eg. gloves, scarf etc. Both the cooler compartment and the large compartment are double sided zipped and whilst the zip tops do not interlock, a little padlock could be used on the metal part of the puller to secure the contents inside.

At the bottom of the backpack, there is a nicely padded are designed to protect the users back from any injury and to provide comfort. The straps are also padded and have plenty of adjustment for the growing child. There is also an adjustable, elasticated front chest strap to keep the bag comfortable in place. There is also a useful looped handle at the top for times when it is not wanted to be worn as a backpack.

The fabric of the backpack is not only pretty, but it is strong and wipe clean.

There is so much room in this product that if looked after will be suitable to use right up to secondary school. It is also a useful backpack to use on days out, going on holiday, even shopping and watch out kids, it is such a good size that your Mum or big sister might want to use it.

An excellent bag, well worth the price and I thoroughly recommend it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 6 May 2014
The success of this rucksack in our house can be measured by the fierce competition by my daughters (four and nearly seven) to wear it ... almost coming to blows! They've been using this for over a month now and still the competition continues!

This particular design is clearly aimed at girls with the choice of colours and the large 5-point rhinestone star on the front.

The shoulder straps are wide and comfortable (breathable too ... useful if going on longer walks) and easy to adjust. They can be tightened or loosened whilst the pack is in place unlike some cheapo rucksacks that have to be removed to get a the straps sorted.

The chest strap is a really useful feature because it stops the shoulder straps from dropping off smaller children's shoulders and down onto their arms. Adjustment is also straightforward and my four-year-old can undo the clip by herself. It's important to take the time to get the shoulder straps the right length as otherwise the chest strap can end up around the child's throat!
The rucksack doesn't have lumber straps, but it does have a useful breathable mesh lumber pad and after four hours of wearing this on a sunny day at Paignton zoo my daughter's back was still dry.

With reference to what this rucksack is for, it has:

An easy access open pocket (behind the star)

A double zipped insulated food compartment behind that (with tags on the zipper making it easy for small hands)

And behind that there's a slightly larger (again double zipped) compartment with an internal open pocket around 15 cm square, and on that there's a three smaller open pockets that might hold pencils and a purse.

On the outside there is a small mesh pocket that will take a 330ml Sistema bottle and a handy carry / grab handle on the top (useful for retrieving the child who walks away whilst one is still talking to them!)

The bag's not waterproof (but none of them are despite some contrary claims), so put anything important in a plastic bag if it looks like rain. It does take a primary school A4 sized folder (just).

It's a very well made piece of kit which can be hand washed (the reference to meeting FDA and CPSIA requirements is with regard to American standards).

Definitely the best children's rucksack to enter this house so far; it has a suggested age range of 3 - 11 and I'd say that was a fair guide. At around 37 (L) x 25 (W) x 14 (D) cm, it has the correct proportions for a child's back. It's had daily hard use and even endured tug-of-war competitions. It's excellent; definitely worthy of one's consideration.
My daughter is 5 years old. She previously had a 'peppa pig' back pack which was sized for a preschooler. At aged 3 the old one was a good size for a change of clothes and purse when going out and about, it fitted well but mummy had to take a big bag with snacks, portable potty, drinks and the other sundry items a small child seems to generate/require. At aged 5 the old backpack still fits well and is comfortable for her BUT a change of clothes no longer fits and it's uses are fewer and father between. The reason I mention this old back pack is the sizing of this one...'preschool' and '3+' are both mentioned in the blurb - well most 3 year olds I know would have drowned in this.

At aged 5 this is great. The is lots of room to grown into it with adjustable straps on the shoulders and chest. At the moment it goes from her neck to her bottom and in fact if I filled it completely it may well over power her. The water bottle mesh looks and feels sturdy enough. The front pouch is a really good size for either individual items like wrap/sandwich, yogart, fruit, and more, but also could easily hold a Tupperware container with bits in. The main part has a sectioned pocket on the back which you could put two pens, notebook and a purse in for easy access. The capacity is rather large and my daughter can now take everything she needs for a school trip or visit in one handy and easy to carry back pack.

The straps and back are padded for comfort. I fell this will fit and suit her until she is a teenager - although her taste may well change before then. This design is nice as it's not character led but is trendy colours and style and a bit more grown up. IF it lasts well (I will update this review if it falls apart in the rain etc) I would be happy simply to get another in a different colour scheme for when she wants a change.
Just because this say's pre-school don't think its not a good size..I am a petite 5ft1"size 10 myself & it is more than adequate for me to carry with a good size interior..I managed to get my purse, mobile phone, keys, couple of skirts & t-shirts in the big pocket aswell as a few other small things like sweets etc..then I had my sandwich in the front which is the thing I love about this product. It has a pocket with the classic silver lining to keep things cool...I had my lunch in it for a couple of hours I can't vouch beyond that time how long it will keep stuff cool but let's just say that even on a warm day if I put my hand in it feels mildly cool in the pocket & even cooler in the corners which is where I keep my pill container to keep it cool..If I had to say negative's there would be a couple.. I wish they had given the little outer pocket where the star is a zip because I dropped my phone out of it when I was in a rush & grabbed it off my shoulder which with being originally designed for kids..now the second I doubt a pre-school child would have this problem as I doubt they would carry enough weight but the safety clip that attaches the straps at the front does tend to get too near the throat so I had to undo it as it was too snug around my neck..but this is just minor as you don't really need it..that said it could carry heavy books no problem..its in my opinion a very good rucksack
The product name of this is a bit misleading as it's suitable for 3 to 9 year olds as per the product description and my seven year old is thrilled with it. Her A4 homework folder just fits and then there are a host of pockets and features that make the school run easier.

We've had other bags that were supposed to be for kids but this is by far the best proportion, design and comfort wise. The adjustable straps are padded and so is the base so it sits well on the back. The zip pulls are chunky making it easy for a child to open and close and we love the mesh side pocket for water too; no more soggy books. There is a small flap in the front for those school trip letters, and inner pockets within the main compartment. The front insulated pocket is perfect for lunch, the silver lining seems quite thick and it's wearing well.

I don't think the photo does the star justice, it's diamante and shiny; to note they've changed the logo from the picture so it says "obersee". It's not too prominent.

We've had plenty of admiring comments on the school run and would really recommend this bag. It's not the cheapest but it's great quality and I'm sure it will outlast cheaper alternatives whilst doing the job better in every way.

Update: a few months in of daily use still looking great and still the best school bag we have ever tried. Fantastic item.
on 25 September 2013
My son now goes on school trips and is reuqired to take packed lunch. as he is only 6 a large bag with added boxes and cool packs is just too heavy. This is ideal as you cn pack a lunch and pop in waterproofs and a jumper. Ideal size. I had bought a couple of backpacks before but they were false economy as they just didn't do the job. this fits the bill nicely.

It is a good fit, padded and just the right size. I am really pleased with this.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2014
***Update 4mths later:***still looks as good as new and has been on another aeroplane trip and multiple train journeys. I carried it for her at the airport and the straps have so much padding that it was by far the most comfortable bag I've ever carried.

Original review:

I got this for my six year old daughter to take on holiday with us. It is such a great bag - definitely the best bag I've ever bought for my children. It's constructed in such a way that it won't give them back strain. You can click the straps into a buckle across the child's chest to give it further support.
It's roomy and had an internal pocket and external pocket. The external pocket is insulated so that you can carry a drink or food in it.
My daughter has brought in on holiday to India and it had survived numerous day trips out without getting dirty.
I would recommend this bag to any child aged between 4 and 9. The bag description of 'preschoolers' is misleading as it is quite big. Today my children putting ALL the following items into the bag: two kindles, a Nintendo handheld, three iPods, three pairs of headphones (headset style), a small blanket, a tube of Pringles and two pencil cases!
VINE VOICEon 31 March 2014
Despite the title alluding to this being a good bag for pre-schoolers, I got this bag for my 6 year old daughter who was in need of a bag to cart around her drawing paraphernalia and the odd soft toy but has recently turned up her nose at the babyish princesses and other character adorned bags. She loved this bag from the word go. The colours are nice and bright, purple and pink although a good, more grown up pink, not the marshmallow pink I've been surrounded by for years! There is a funky diamante star on the front pocket which appeals to the girly side of her. There is one large main section which is well padded and would easily hold an A4 drawing pad as well as an iPad or other tablet and lots of other junk. There is also a large zipped section at the front which can be used as a cool bag for packed lunches or drinks. And with a large open pocket at the front and a mesh pocket on one side, there is plenty of room for all the things she wants to carry round with her. The bag seems solidly contracted with good straps and a chest strap which is a helpful addition.

My daughter has worn this bag all weekend and is very happy with it. A really nice bag all in all.