5.0 out of 5 stars A Cold World
Not normally my type of book, but I'm so glad I tried it. I was totally immersed in the world to the extent I'd be feeling cold just reading it.
It seemed like it was the start of an epic set of adventures, I hope so.
Published on 31 May 2011 by Joo

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful tale
What a refreshing idea! Literally, refreshing. With the heat tormenting me, reading about a world of ice made it all better, at least for my mind.
Published on 21 July 2011 by L.E.Olteano - Butterfly-o-mete...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cold World, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
It seemed like it was the start of an epic set of adventures, I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hexult, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Hexult (Paperback)
Hexult is a story of adventure in a world of ice, where much of science and technology has been forgotten. This perhaps looms in our future. The characterization reflects many all-too-human foibles as the four main characters Ingar and Aulf and the twins Jacob and Elya take on the always formidable task of overcoming evil with good intentions, youthful enthusiasm and creativity. Jacob and Elya's arrival in the islands brings change and challenge. There is underlying curiousity to be satisfied as we are prompted to think about geothermal activity, the making of steel, how flint and steel works, how compasses work and how Morse Code and other symbolic systems form the basis of communication. This is a good read for young readers and adults can be well entertained. The world Aylen has created is interesting and engaging. The society that inhabits it is simple with room for more development as the different islands of Hexult navigate the rocky waters of a new treaty and try to track down proof of evil doing. I, for one, look forward to further books in this series. It does us no harm to be reminded of a world where it is hard to start fires and where there is excitement in the creation of a small case for our flint and steel. There is room for further character development and a number of dramatic tensions to be resolved. While I don't think this will turn into an epic we must remember the initial shallowness of Robert Jordan's Conan and the ultimate complexity of the Wheel of Time. I truly appreciate an author creative enough to create a new world without internal inconsistencies.

The story may well be post-apocalyptic if you choose to view it that way but I certainly didn't find it dystopian nor did I think it should be categorized as fantasy, at least to this point. There is no evidence of magic, just superstition ns a little basic science. It is quite well written and I found very few editorial errors. Suitable to its target audience. A good read without disconcerting sensationalism, sex and ugliness. Commendable!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every 7 to 14 year old's bedroom bookshelf!, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
I've done some digging and this is the first book of a new UK author. Well hats off to the guy. This is a highly original piece. Set in a future ice-age where technology is thrown back so that even a compass is considered magic, the adventure unfolds around a group of youngsters who bring 'magic' to the isolated islands of Hexult that are seperated by vast sheets of ice. Trouble ensures for them as those with power vie to gain the advantage that the group can provide, and are willing to undertake 'dirty tactics' to get it.

I can easily see this book being read by parents to their children who will be eagerly awaiting bedtime (why wasn't it published a few years ago when my kids were small!). A must for every child and young adult's bookshelf. Good job and looking forward to the sequal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure - Highly Recommended, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
I bought this based on the interesting premise (plus I fancied a rest from Jack Reacher so guess I am not the target audience for this book)and was not disappointed in the slightest. Read from start to finish in a couple of days which is a first for me since I bought the Kindle back in February. Hexult has a great plot and spirit of adventure with just enough threads dangling at the end to leave me waiting eagerly for the next book. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars When is the sequel out?, 20 Aug. 2012
PJ Preston "ppreston21" (Hythe, Hants, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
(written by Cat, not Phil)

Perry Aylen visited the school where I work as part of our Literature Festival a few weeks ago; so I'd experienced and investigated some of the scientific concepts he has used in the book before I'd read it!

I enjoyed reading the book, although it's hard to visualise the geography of the area when reading this on Kindle without paging back to the beginning - perhaps the map could be used as a title page for each chapter?

The plot is believable, the characters are mostly well-drawn, and (a huge relief on Kindle!) the grammar and proof-reading are excellent. I don't want to give any spoilers here; but young teenagers who enjoy finding inventive solutions to problems and reading a good adventure story should give 'Hexult' a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice ships, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
Written for beings the age of my grandchildren, but I stayed with it and enjoyed the images that rose up in my mind. Images of ice-ships sliding beneath wind-filled sails between islands heated by the Earth's thermals. A volcanic fissure in the ice-field, known as the Vajra - an interesting name (Sanskrit for diamond thunderbolt). The author has a gifted imagination.
Glaciologists might have a question about the height of sea-level - but never mind that. It is a thoroughly good tale of the coming-of-age of youngsters who must needs fend for themselves.

Harry Nicholson, author of Tom Fleck

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful tale, 21 July 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
I'll be honest, I'm quite torn between a 3 and 4 butterflies rating. I'd give it a 4 for originality, age-appropriate tale-like structure, content and characters, but a 3 for the chemistry I had with said characters. Admittedly, I am well above it's target; so, to make up my mind what rating I'd give it, I thought, if I had a kid, would I give him/her this book to read? And it's a definite "YES", something I wouldn't quite say for some titles out there. But my reading experience does point more to the 3 segment, therefore, I rate Hexult a 3 (and a half) out of 5.

The atmosphere is very much tale-like, if a bit...chilling. A world engulfed in ice, where some knowledge truly does set you apart - that setting got my full attention right from the beginning. I loved the description of the environment, it is both built and presented beautifully.

The characters are interesting, especially the twins. As I kept reading, I had these flashbacks of an animated series I used to watch when I was younger, I'm not sure I remember the name, but it was about these twins traveling together, and when they'd hold hands they did some sort of Magic thing; anyway, I really loved the series, and I've been since a big fan of twins. It was a great pleasure for me to follow twin adventures, if I may call them so.

The plot itself is quite engaging, and I could definitely see a successful movie made based on Perry Aylen`s work, I believe it would translate into a big time success. If I could have had something different about it, I think I would have liked the characters to be a bit more...charismatic? There's something endearing about some of them, the twins especially, but maybe someone could have been just a tad more edgy perhaps, but that's a very personal aspect of course.

As usual, I can't keep from commenting about the cover. I love the cover, I mean, just looks at it; it's beautiful!

All thing considered, I find Hexult to be a very charming tale, that I do recommend with a dear heart. It has that sprinkle of fairytale charm that we find so little of lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure for adults and children alike!!, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
In the land of Hexult, Aulf delivers the mail between a set of islands aboard the sailboat known as the Aurora. With his crew of one, a small waif of a girl named Ingar, they fly with the wind aboard the Aurora, no one around with a vessel fast enough to catch her. But in this land a boat doesn't fly over the smooth surface of water. Instead they slide across a frozen sea of ice, a white wonderland very different from the one you and I know.

One day while delivering the mail, Aulf and Ingar come across a wrecked vessel and find two young teenagers inside, barely alive, almost frozen to death. Their father was killed with the destruction of their boat, leaving the twins, Elya and Jacob, with no family. But Jacob and Elya have a lot to offer the people of Hexult, if only everyone was as willing to listen to them as Aulf and Ingar, because the people from the land of ice have never seen a lodestone, or witnessed a blacksmith heat and pound out steel, and they've never watched anyone carve out a lens of clear ice and use it to trap the rays of the sun, enabling the user to build a fire. Fire could be the difference between life and death if caught out on the ice during the night.

Reliable communication is a big dilemma between the islands and the twins have suggested the building of light towers may just be the answer to their problem. In the top of the towers would be mirrors and these could be used to flash messages between the islands, doing away with the need for a carrier. No one would have to worry anymore about a message getting confiscated by raiders--whose numbers grow daily, raising the level of fear and conflict among the people. But not everyone is pleased with the idea. There is one in particular who is afraid the twins might undermine his authority and destroy the respect he has created through superstitious fear in the people. He'd like to take credit for the idea of the light towers himself and does what he can to bring the twins down.

I'm far past the age for target readers of Hexult, but I enjoyed every last page of this wonderful adventure. I can just imagine kids going to their parents after reading, curious about the workings of a compass, or trying to build a magnifying glass from a chunk of clear ice. Any novel that can raise a child's curiosity about nature and science, and inspire the need to learn, is a wonderful deal in my eyes. And if an adventure can be gained with Aulf, Ingar, Jacob and Alya in their imaginations while they do so, then so much the better. I loved the novel and plan to purchase a copy for my eleven-year-old niece. I'm afraid she can't have mine. That one is reserved for my own adventure. :) You might have to get two, like I did--one copy for you, one for the kids. I'm sure you'll enjoy this novel as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Narnia for grown-ups!, 25 May 2011
K. Young (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
If you loved the C.S. Lewis Narnia books as a child, you will almost certainly enjoy this. It's a proper adventure story, which grabs your attention from the beginning, and continues to be a page-turner throughout. The characters are engaging, but somewhat mysterious; and the world within which the story is set is fascinating. Highly recommended!

One more plus for this book - the grammar and editing are faultless - not too common, in my experience, for ebooks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story (Kindle Edition)
the writer came into my school and loved the idea of book and read it, it was really good to read hope think the aothur has good things coming i cant wait for the second book

Hexult: An Ice Adventure Story