Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 29 December 2001
The Hungry Tide is a wonderfully engrossing romantic story.
Ms Woods weaves a tapestry of characters and the daily life of the East Yorkshire coast of the late 17th/early 18th century. The characters are well defined, especially showing the disparity between rich and poor of that era.
on 28 August 2011
I would say the best book I have so far read from Valerie Wood. You feel as if you are there with the characters who are likeable. Story is about a couple who should not love each other as the main character is from a poor family and she falls in love with the son from a wealthy family. Some nice little twists and turns at the end to keep you guessing, the sort of book you want to be left alone to read - with the fire on and a nice cup of tea!
on 6 April 2008
I always thoroughly enjoy Valerie Wood's books!

I lived for many years in Hull and know the Holderness area well. I get totally absorbed in both the stories and the settings. I liked the Cookson books, though think her writing was pretty poor: ungrammatical and prententious. I enjoy other regional historical writers, but am totally wrapped up in Wood's work once I start reading.

I always wait eagerly for her next book !!
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2008
Valerie is the winner of the Catherine Cookson Prize and this is very much the style of her writing.It's a real feel good love story with all the characters brought vividly to life.You will become engrossed and won't want to put this book down.This was my first book by this Author but have now read a second and ordered another three.Recommended to all.
on 11 January 2014
I first met Valerie in 2013 when we were guest speakers at the Wetherby Festival. I subsequently had the pleasure of interviewing her in November 2013 at the launch period of her twentieth novel. I hadn't read any of her novels beforehand and decided to read her first The Hungry Tide. It is a beautiful story and being a romantic at heart .. where else .. I would recommend it most fervently.
Two hundred years ago the town of Hull thrived on the whaling trade. A girl from the town, Maria finds life so hard that when her husband Will comes home from a voyage with a leg missing, she jumps at the chance to go into service in the countryside, away from the stench of blubber and sewage. The little family moves along with two neighbours' children but the headland near the great house is constantly being eaten away by the sea.

Sarah is born there in Holderness and acts as a companion to the little girl of the rich family, Lucy. In time she is educated and gets a trip to London, where her social status is rubbed in by others and she is glad to return to the country. John, the heir to the whaling firm, is half in love with Sarah for years, but cannot marry her, yet he doesn't want anyone else.

The story feels quite long but the details are good and it is interesting to see the North Sea being called the German Ocean, harking back to the days of the Hanseatic Trading League, long past by the time of Napoleon in this book.
on 10 November 2013
Love all Val Woods books. Can not put these down once I start reading one. It is worth looking at her list of published books first and start at the beginning as the characters appear in different books. Although they could be read randomly as well!
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was sent this book by the publishers Random House UK.

Val Woods has been one of my forever best authors, my reading life began with her and Catherine Cookson, along with Danielle Steel.
I found I had read this book back in 2011.
Sarah`s father was involved in a terrible accident loosing his leg. They were living hand to mouth as it was, now this lead them deeper into poverty.

Based around Hull and around coastlines, whaling ships and fishing boats were families bread and butter, literally.

John comes along and falls in love with Sarah, but he's way out of her class. Wealthy, owner of a whaling fleet. Just what is going to happen?
on 26 December 2013
Love this book - just finished it for the 3rd time. Super storyline and really good historical content, especially if you know Hull and the Holderness Coast. Think this was Val Wood's best book.
on 22 January 2013
Definately recommend this book, excellent read,very good author, reading 'Children of the Tide' the follow up really enjoying it, the characters are all very similar