4.0 out of 5 stars Has made my life infinitely easier.
With the advent of the iPad, my laptop barely leaves the office these days. In a typical week I'll usually expect to attend 7-8 customer meetings, which I normally travel to by foot or by tube, so it made sense to ditch the bulky laptop bag in favour of a small slip-in case for iPad.

The problem this posed was obviously the absence of room for a pen and a...
Published 19 months ago by N. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a month
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by Mr. A. C. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Has made my life infinitely easier., 13 Dec 2012
N. Morgan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)

The problem this posed was obviously the absence of room for a pen and a notepad; especially if I was going for lunch, dinner or drinks with the client, following the meeting.

I did a bit of research and discovered several apps which could replace a paper notepad (my preference, in the end, being Penultimate) for taking meeting notes - the next challenge: to find a good stylus with which to write!

Before I start, I want to make it clear that purchases at this end of the financial scale are a grey area to me; investing 20 for a stylus does not mean that my family can't eat for a month, so if you pay attention to the other reviewers who class this as an "expensive item", then this review isn't for you.

I ordered several models to evaluate. The TRIXES High Quality HQ Stylus; the Universal Capacitive Stylus; the COLT HQ Stylus, and this, the Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus.

Immediately upon opening, you can feel the quality of the Wacom Bamboo Stylus over the others listed above. It has a good weight to it, and feels of very solid build; the others had an almost hollow, plasticky feel to them, whereas the Bamboo felt well built. It's also of good size; I'm not a small guy, and have fairly big hands, so when I looked at the pictures of these styli on Amazon, I was slightly worried that they would be to fiddly. Certainly not the case with the Bamboo. It fits in my hand perfectly, and feels like a mid-range rollerball.

Second was the usage test. This paragraph will, I'm sure, be ubiquitous to ALL styli; however, I thought it best to include it for those whom have never used a stylus with a tablet.

It does take a good bit of getting used to. End of story. So much so, that at first I was actually quite disappointed, and thought my utopia of a truly paperless quest was at an end. Fortunately though, after several uses, it becomes second nature, and you don't find your eye trying to connect the "nib" with the "paper" at a precise point; it simply becomes second nature. Within a very short period of time, my tablet handwriting had evolved from that of a 5 year old with Parkinson's, to that of a 32 year old with a mild hangover - typical of my normal paper scribblings.

Lastly I'd like to discuss longevity. I'd seen previous low reviews stating that the nib wore out very quickly; obviously this was of some concern, as I didn't want to be halfway through a meeting and find myself having to scrawl on the iPad with my finger, like a caveman. Just in case, I purchased a spare set of nibs for the "princely" sum of 5.43 (seriously, guys, if you can't afford 5.43 for a spare set of nibs, how did you afford the tablet in the first place?). I am, however, pleased to announce that I've not once needed to change nibs - I'm still on the original after 4 months - and I tend to write a great deal (as you may be able to tell from this long-winded review! N.B. Not written with a Bamboo stylus...). By saying a great deal, you won't be able to quantify it, so here it is:

In a typical week, I'm in 7-8 customer meetings, in which I tend to fill 15-18 full pages in Penultimate. On top of this, I usually have 4-5 internal meetings; this time using slightly less page space - 7-12 pages.

Over the course of 4 months, I'd say I've written enough to fill 2.5 x Moleskine A5 notepads. So:..

Is it financially worth it? YES.
Is the convenience worth it? YES.
Will you be glad you bought it? YES.
Will you lose it? PROBABLY.

I've added the last question as it would be nice to see Bamboo add a lanyard type device which the TRIXES styli have. This is an excellent afterthought from TRIXES, as it means that the more forgetful of us (such as myself), can instantly attach the stylus to the headphone port at the end of a meeting.

I haven't lost one yet (I fold it into the crease of my iPad sleeve (Mulberry - very good!)) when not in use, but I know it's only a matter of time before I leave it somewhere!

I'll caveat this entire review by stating that I DON'T use the stylus for drawing, as many of you will; I purely use it for note-taking in meetings (that said, I did once draw a cock & balls when I was in a meeting with a particularly odious little fellow). However, if the ease of use when it comes to handwriting is reflected in the ability to draw, I'm sure that all of you little Picasso's out there will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite stylus, 17 April 2013
P. D. Richardson "Philcranbrook" (Cranbrook Kent GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
I am an artist & draw a lot on my iPad, I also now like to use a stylus to type, scroll etc. rather than my finger, so I have bought & used all the styluses available. This is the best in my view, though the Just Mobile Alupen comes a close second, the problem with that one is the rubber tip is a bit too soft, & some might not like it's heavy & stubby feel. The Bamboo is not stubby at all though has a pleasing weight that is nicely balanced. For drawing I like the Bamboo stylus because like a pencil one can hold it higher up the handle.

Many reviews mention the rubber tips splitting quickly, I am surprised at this as in fourteen months of daily (& heavy) use I have only needed to replace the tip three times. I just wonder if these bad reviews are because people have been conned with look-alike replicas. The tips are easy to get on Amazon & cost around 7 for three, which I think is a high price for what they are, but not prohibitively so.

It is surprising how differently the tips behave on the pad, the cheapo styluses (ones you get three for a couple of quid) are OK but they feel flimsy & lack balance for drawing, their tips are not that responsive. The Acase stylus feels nicer to use, but the tip is as unresponsive as the cheap ones when drawing. One cannot replace split tips for either of these. The Alupen is good, feels solid & very much like a thick graphite 'pastel' to use, it has good reviews, the tip is nicely responsive but I find the tip far too soft. I also see no way to replace a split tip, which considering the cost of the pen is a serious consideration.

So though rather expensive to buy, & to get replacement tips, the Bamboo stylus seems the best buy to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bamboo Pen, 1 Jan 2012
David J. Wilson "Gadget" (Camberley UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
The pen is very useful on the iPad, not only drawing with the very good Wacom App. but for typing, without a fat finger pressing two keys. I have no reason to suspect that the rubber nib wont be long lasting, but if it does fail, I wonder where replacements can be got?

I'd like to update my review on the Bamboo Stylus. In the time I had it, it worked perfectly. But in October the pouch with my iPad and Bamboo, was snatched from me. Well as the insurance were dragging their feet, I bought another iPad ( I have now got one sent) and sent of for a new Bamboo Stylus. It arrived just before Christmas and I took it out of the packing, put it on the screen, knowing what to expect, and thought what is this, missing bits of line and high pressure needed, this is not like my original. So I cleaned the screen and cleaned the tip with a tissue and water. But still it would not complete lines. So onto the net to read all the review sites. Then to this site and read through all the three hundred comments, yes I know, I had nothing better to do. Well I fired of a comment on one of the latter reviews that was complaining about the poor performance here. I also sent mail to Wacom and was surprised to get a mail back on Christmas Eve. Seems that I had bought a fake, could be by a firm called Kerkuri. So I got the pack that my original one came in and offered them up. Everything from the cardboard of the box, to the tray to hold the pen and the printed booklet, were all poor quality compared with the original. Even the font and colour of paper and the print. Were as the fake, was printed in black, the original was in a grey. So I am wondering how many of the people who are calling this Stylus poor, have not got the real one. How can you have some saying that it is a five star product and other saying it's cheap and does not work. I wish that I'd bought another real one. As all the time I had it, it worked perfectly. You could hardly feel it touching the screen, it would still write with no deflection of the nib, in fact it felt like it was hovering. But I made a hasty move by ordering a Maglus. I just hope that this does not turn out to be a pirated one. What has happened to Intellectual Property?

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for a month, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
This is a great product with a major flaw. The design is very comfy to use and has produced excellent results with SketchBook Pro, iThoughtsHD, Noterize, Notesplus and other similar programs - art wise it really moves the ipad up a notch in terms of sketching, layout preparation and accuracy. However - after 2 weeks a small tear had opened on the rubber tip, after another 2 weeks this tear was so substantial that I had to cease using the pen while awaiting Wacom shop to deliver replacement tips (20 pounds, up to 10 days delivery for 6 tips) which frankly is an extortionate rate and will send me looking for alternatives should the replacements tear after a similar short duration.

So frankly a lovely pen that has transformative effects on your ipad but one that carries not only a heavy investment cost but seemingly a steep up-keep cost.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over priced and under designed, 23 Jan 2012
Colin Rose "strunkovice" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
the clip fell off within 10 minutes of being placed in my pocket, the thread is not long enough and unscrews itself with natural vibration. The soft end is too clumsy to be of any use for drawing, a friend bought one with a smaller end for 3 that is easier to use. Altogether a waste of money

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but fragile, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
This was the best handling stylus I'd used due to the smaller tip, until it broke presumably for the same reason. The tip is very thin and soft which a) is great for writing and drawing with, and b) splits very easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 1 Jun 2011
L. Appleton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
This stylus is fantastic! I use it with the Sketchbook Pro app on the iPad and the two are made for each other. It draws so smoothly and naturally, it's a pleasure to use. On a review of this before it was released, they said there was a slight lag on it, but I've not noticed it much in sketchbook pro, it's nothing that bothers you and it's 100% better than using your finger alone.
At last there is a way of comfortably drawing digitally wherever you are. I've been waiting for this for years!

1.0 out of 5 stars bamboo review, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
For use with the iPad the pen is useless and inaccurate for drawing and painting. It's about as accurate as a stick of butter.

But then I use a wacom tablet and that is as accurate as pencil and paper.

Waste of time and money!

Better off buying a Wacom tablet and pen to use on your computer and painting and drawing with Autodesk sketchbook pro.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and terrible quality, 3 April 2012
J. Carpentier (Sacramento, CA/Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
I waited and waited for this stylus because I have always loved Wacom; but, this was a terrible buy. I was a bit skeptical at the price - given it's nearly twice the price of every other stylus - but I figured: it's Wacom so it must be worth it. Boy, was that a mistake. When you first grasp it, it feels heavy. Not bad, heavy, but noticeable in weight. The weight wasn't the main issue. What was, was that it fell apart in one day - no joke. The top cap came off, the clip fell off - neither of which I could fix back on. The sleeve cap near the tip fell off as well. It felt good, but was poorly made. On top of all that, I contacted Wacom to let them know what happened and that I wanted a refund, to which the associate told me what I told them was not possible (essentially calling me a liar). When I repeated that it did happen and I had pictures, they still claimed it was somehow my fault and that there was no way they would offer a refund, but, I could ship it back to them and they "might" replace it - but I would have to pay for shipping both ways. Unbelievable piece of garbage that I will never buy again. It is still sitting in a drawer, in its box, doing nothing. Thanks Wacom for a terrible product and experience!

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless and expensive, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black (Electronics)
If you use it regularly for drawing, don't expect to get more than two to three hours out of the tip before it disintegrates. Wacom offered me a free nib as a replacement to be ordered through their eStore. That was even more infuriatings as replacement tips are no longer available in Europe on the Wacom eStore, so I had to buy another stylus instead (not a Wacom obviously...). The Bamboo stylus worked beautifully during the two hours, but at a rate of 15 an hour, it is worth considering the alternatives.
Basically: don't go near it!

Wacom Bamboo Solo Stylus - Black