5.0 out of 5 stars Surprises, twists and then some..., 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
If you like reading short stories that surprise, chill and make you cringe, then this is the book for you. It's a little shocker that delights and it's been written by an author who can hold his own with the best of them. He's good. His words create vivid images that linger on after the book is finished.

My guess is that if you like this book, you will want a little bit more like me. Thankfully, it won't be a long wait. His next full novel, Whitechapel: Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes, is shortly to be released. I for one will be near the front of the queue when it comes to download day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turning Collection, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
This was a great read for me, and if you like your horror by turns macabre and humorous you'll probably enjoy this.

This author has a real talent for sketching out a character in just a few sentences; and hooked me from the first paragraph of the first story.

From a revenge seeking ex-junkie to the creepy heartbreak of the pale man, the stories cover a range of different subjects and styles.

A number of reviewers on Amazon.com have wanted longer stories. Personally I think the length was great for the stories told, with the potential for longer, different adventures for a couple of the characters.

If Mr. Schaffer goes that route, I'll be buying them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, 28 Jun 2011
S. Bentley "stuarthoratiobentley" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
For a first collection of short stories this is a good start. The title alone is inspired in the way it walks on the edge of irony and good/bad taste as the stories do. Schaffer's writing style is lean, strong on description and action. Each story in the collection turns on a specific idea, be it Schaffer's thoughts on vampires (he prefers to see them as monsters, rather than the romantic heroes they've become in current fiction trends), on a wife's suspicions of her spouse's infidelities in the morgue, on the true origins of that man from Nazareth, on a super-powered individual's actions as a secret weapon in World War Two. It's all very muscular stuff. They are entertaining works and at the price worth a punt and if you're a fan of F. Paul Wilson, or Joe Lansdale or the Twilight Zone, you'll find something to enjoy. It's full of pulpy goodness!

So I'd say yes, buy it, but there are some minor issues for me. One of the very interesting stories is the one set in World War Two, there's a good setup and then we seem to get into the meat of the story and the story just sort of stops with a lot of the mysteries unexplained. (The use of Aleister Crowley in the story is also questionable from a historic perspective - here he teams up with the Nazis whereas his biographies suggest it's more likely he offered his services to the allied forces - but it is a fictionalised account, so that's fine.) It felt like a concept the author wants to expand on, but results in an unsatisfying conclusion. The other is that influences seem a little too obvious. There's a teleporter in one story who disappears and appears in a puff of smoke like Nightcrawler (though that's really the limit of the influence), and an alien in another called Klatu (for whom the Earth doesn't quite stand still but who in some ways is the most human creation in the collection). But they are minor issues and it's possible that they aren't influences at all. All writers start from their influences and Schaffer's work promises that he's going to grow into a very strong writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone..., 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
You get a good variety of Horror (and a little Sci Fi) in this collection of five stories which include Vampires, Aliens, strange powers, and revenge plots. Some are quite seriously written, while others are a bit more tongue in cheek.
I always enjoy a dark revenge story and my favourite was one of those - "Cold Comforts" - it's one of those stories which leaves much to the imagination, and only hints at the painful (but deserved) ending. This makes for a sinister read which really works in this case.
Originality goes to "Codename: Omega" - a complex story full of espionage and double crosses, but also a generous helping of blood and guts to keep everyone happy. All the stories are -

1) The Reluctant Death (8/10) When a landowners daughter survives a near death experience the workers believe that there is magic involved.
2) Codename: Omega (9/10) An undercover agent with unusual powers is sent on one final mission into Nazi Germany.
3) Room Service (8/10) A man puts his neck on the line when his lap dancing girlfriend goes missing.
4) Cold Comforts (10/10) A wife is dead certain that her husband is cheating on her, and is prepared to kill to prove it.
5) Nazareth (7/10) Two bickering aliens debate giving mankind a helping hand.

This is an enjoyable collection which has something for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Being totally honest... I liked it!!!, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
OK.. from the start, let us be totally clear on one thing.... I read this because I am a friend with the author on a certain Social Networking site through various groups... and I thought it only fair that I gave his work a try... sooooo I invested my 70p... and started to read. I had no idea what to expect... I had never heard of him as an author.. but I love books, I love finding something new and maybe special... and I just love reading.

This is a book of 5 short stories.. some shorter than others..... and in all honestly.. some better than others....

The first story, I need to read again... I think I enjoyed it... but then I also think I understood it... maybe the bottle of delectable red wine didn't help (or did it??) but, if I am willing to try it again ... then it caught me.. cos I need to know and understand, something about it is niggling at me.. so I know it has got me!

Story two... Not a subject matter I would ever ever buy normally.. BUT.. it caught me.. the twists and turn.. yeah.. liked it.

Story three.... Loved it!!No other way to describe it.... I love Vampires books anyway.. the romance, the erotica, the drama... in this case.. the flip side to all that!! Brilliant!

Story four.... Girl Power.... I seriously had to stop and remember this was written by a man.... oh boy... Girl power rules... This is a must read for any woman who has...... well.. the 70p for the whole book is worth it just for the YES factor of this story!!!!!

Story five.... FANTASTIC twist.... but I suspect not for the closed minded or fanatical's.... A huge risk I think was taken by the author with this one.. but it made me go.... Hmmmm Loved it... and possibly explained a lot :-)

I did - very much - enjoy this book.. nice easy writing, it flowed well and the stories caught my interest quickly.. which with short stories is a very useful thing!!! They were dark in places... very twisted in other places and totally entertaining!!! Plus if like me you read to the very very end.. the bit about the author really makes the "make believe" come to life. I am glad I bought it.. and I dare say I will read it again, plus for a mere 70p... well worth more in my opinion! I gave it four stars because it wasn't quiet 100% perfect for me, but still very enjoyable. I also know the author has a new book coming out soon, about a subject matter that has fascinated me for years.. I cannot wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book of short stories. Being honest I hadn't heard of the author but my friend recommended it and I was curious to read it to say the least. It is not the type of book I would normally choose to read, but I must say that once I started reading it I found it very difficult to put down.
In my humble opinion the stories just got better, extremely well written, I suffered so many different emotions, fear, revulsion and compassion just being a few. Some of it was scary stuff!!!!
And at the end of the book I was left wanting more.
All I can say is roll on the next book, can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely enthralling read!!!!, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
I'm a lady of few words aind a few that I'd use to describe this collection of stories would be utterly, enthralling, complusive reading.
I became so absorbed in this book that needless to say dinner ended up a little on the crisp side that evening. I literally could not put my kindle down until I had finished !

4.0 out of 5 stars Honesty, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Women and Other Monsters (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed these short stories, this is my first Bernard Schaffer book and I will definately read more of his books.

Women and Other Monsters