on 26 December 2009
I find this series of commentaries very helpful in preparing sermons and for Bible study. However, I think Bock could have been more thorough in some places. His two volumes in the Baker Exegetical series is much more interesting and desirable (although very expensive). I think he should have put as much effort into this as he did there with less words and scholarly information. I particualr like the section on the contemporary application of the text.
on 13 February 2013
Buying a tagged set in accordance would be better than this kindle edition.
I have the mark volume and that has a index so you can jump to chapters and verses. This Luke version doesn't so you have to rely on using search. Not ideal!

The text when you find it is good but i don't think it is as thought provoking as the john volume. choosing a commentary is a very personal thing. If you like this series, then it follows the trend and a safe purchase but all series have variations in standard.
on 12 March 2011
This is not a bad Commentary, but I was a little disappointed with it; it is rather run-of-the-mill stuff. I had read the Commentary on Esther in this series (by Karen Jobes) and that was excellent - deserves more than five stars!, but the Luke Commentary can be somewhat superficial. Perhaps Darrell Bock had to confine himself to a less detailed study of the material to keep the Commentary within publisher's limits, but the final work suffers in consequence. Still, the approach of the NIV Application Commentary series is very good and is more helpful than some others.
on 27 April 2015