on 26 November 2011
I have this, and a (more expensive, but popular) Petzl Tikka XP2. I bought this for (dark) early morning running.

I agree with others that the vertical adjustment is a little flimbsy, and the head bands are only just about long enough (not sure about being able to put it on a helmet). The focusing is very good, and it is quite even over the focused area, however wide is maybe not wide enough for a sitting with a group (but perfectly good for walking/running). The build quality is adequate, it does have a cheap feel, but other than the vertical adjustment seems sturdy enough for a long life.

The button action moves between modes "Bright -> Less Bright -> Strobe -> Off -> ..."

Comparing to the Tikka XP2, it is much brighter, but more focused. The Tikka XP2, I think is bright enough for camping and walking, and spill of light is much better for groups (you see more in your peripheral vision). The build quality on the Tikka XP2 is also much better, the button action is much better, the head straps are wider and seem better quality. It is also much smaller so will fit in a pocket.

So why did I buy the SuperLED torch? This torch is much Brighter (more reach to see when running), more focused, and has a over the top head strap. It is also half the price of a Tikka XP2 (and for me complements it). It also uses AA batteries which I prefer, rather than AAA batteries.

Battery Life...

This really should be in the product information above, it is not even on the product's box! I've not had the torch for long enough to actually drain some batteries, but I have measured the battery current and hence can estimate battery life. These tests were done using NiMH batteries (typical modern standard rechargeables). These rechargeables are good option as they provide a fairly constant light output, until they are almost fully discharged.

ON BRIGHT (460mA) which is around 4-5hrs with a 2500mAh rechargables.

ON LESS BRIGHT (110mA) which is around 15-20hrs with a 2500mAh rechargables.

(I'll update if my experience is different from the values stated above)
on 7 July 2011
I've tested this head torch on the field. As I suspected the first time I got my hands in it, the build quality is really bad. The retention system that holds the lamp in place when you tilt it is crap; it's made of plastic and mine broke on first time use - so my lamp is either at 0º or dangling down.
The light output is amazing - and it's the big plus of this torch - and the lens system works (I don't know how good it is, I never used another torch of this kind).

So, good light output, bad build quality - probably it won't last long.
on 3 November 2012
The torch unit is very good however the straps do not hold it in place at all times and this becomes annoying
on 29 October 2011
Brilliant wee headtorch, I work nights in very dark trainyards so have become a bit OCD about torches/headtorches,forget buying multi led ones, I have 3 or 4 and this "Cree" one is fantastic. The light output is phenominal, the focus system is also very good. Previous reviews mentioned the tilt system being a bit flimsy, I agree, but mine still works with gloved hands, just be gentle, for £17 what do you expect? Have a look at the LED LENSER headtorch if you want top notch quality, but get your wallet out..
on 14 November 2012
This a fantastic buy for the money, great output from the LED, fits snugly round the old cranium, AA batts, Light (no pun intended)looks good, aesthetics but.....the adjustment for 45 degree tilt beam is terrible. Okay in fixed position (normal 180degree forward- horizontal full beam), but unfortunately when you try to set it for a more 45degree position it doesn't hold that position, and you have to keep fiddling with it. A bad ratchet, an adjustable screw fitting would have scored five stars for me or a splodge of araldite to fix permanently. I use this for running so obviously 45degree is important for me, on second light setting but as mentioned before despite my opinion a fantastic value for money.
on 18 November 2012
It fell apart as I took it from the box. The 4 screws that obviously should retain the bulb and switch mechanism were simply missing, otherwise it would have been OK. I managed to hold the thing together long enough to test the beam (before the fiddly little switch thing fell off again), and it was indeed very bright. Otherwise build quality seemed fine for the price. If only they'd bothered to put the screws in, then it would have been a good buy, but I've no confidence that a replacement would have been built properly either.
My other torch is a Petzl MyoXP, and this torch seemed a similar brightness. I was just looking for a cheap backup.
on 29 September 2012
The LED is incredibly bright but sadly the head torch built around it isn't fit to hold it. Flimsily made out of seemingly low grade plastic the tilt mechanism broke after a few weeks and then shortly after that one one of the anchor points for the headband snapped off. One of the worst made products I've ever bought.
on 4 January 2012
although the torch is great, really bright with good battery life. the build quality really lets it down. mine broke within 3 days after very light use. although.....they are releasing a new improved version soon which is supposed to be sorting out build quality issues
on 19 February 2013
The worst thing about this thing is the straps! For some reason the manufacturer decided to put a slit in the strap retainers and so every two minutes they take it in turn to come off - I wear this thing in attics and when it falls off its dangerous - I have taken superglue to it in an attempt to prevent it occurring too often but at the end of the day, I shouldn't have to - it wasn't cheap to buy, it was only cheap made! The light from the thing is good but so is the light from the cheapest headlight from Asda - I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this thing to anyone - I deeply regret buying it!
on 19 October 2013
Really hate giving poor reviews to a product but from my experience this is disappointing to say the least. Tried turning it on and thought it was broken. Turns out I had to squeeze the battery pack to obtain any illumination. Tried it attached to a hard hat with the same result. In desperate need of a decent quality head torch for my work as an engineer on rail rolling stock. Guess this isn't it!!

For the money was expecting something ALOT better than this. From my experience I can only recommend you don't buy this.